Overly sensitive control inputs - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #11
Art-J
Veteran

Still, the OP's problem is related to the trim response time vs hat switch press time ratio, which is hardcoded in the module and we don't know if it's correct for this particular type of an airplane.

Triming techniques aside, bad coding of this feature can affect the playability of the module, the most blatant example being Spit Mk IX, where elevator trim operation when assigned to keys/button is exactly 10 times slower than rudder one, making one way too slow, while the other way too twitchy.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #12
Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
+1
Removing the pressure needed to keep the stick/yoke in a off-center position by trimming is the way to use the trim in every plane, not only in the military.

Sorry, my point about military trim was that it is instant from the point of moving the trim switch. Civilian aircraft tend to have a delay for electronic trim (hat switches). The method of trimming does not change.
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
000rick000

All of my RL civilian flying with electric trim, it's been instant. Not sure why there would ever be a delayed response unless there was a problem with the mechanism. Now, response to trim is a different story. But that has more to do with the stability (or instability) characteristics of the aircraft in question and if FBW FCS is part of the equation.

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut
000rick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #14
Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Interesting. Never noticed a difference IRL. Which civil planes do have a delay and for what reason?
I'm not sure if it's standard but I've flown the king air 350 and 350er. Both had a delay on the electronic but no delay if you use the wheel. I'm not sure why, I just accepted it as it was and used the wheel (couldn't stand the delay).
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:26 AM   #15
Emmy

Electric trim lags in a C172 Vs spinning the wheel.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #16
Sylosis

Sorry I couldn't comment on my own post earlier than that, but what was mentioned is quite interesting.

First of all, my post is really just related to sensitivity of the hat switches movement. Trim switch, radar slew, etc.

I wasn't talking about axis controls, since I am well aware you can adjust it with curves and such.

As for adjusting slew sensitivity, I am just aware that it is possible with the A10. And it isn't in the DCS settings or anything, it's something you can do within the A10 cockpit and though I don't quite remember how, I remember doing it at some point. So yes, the hat switch sensitivity is not a problem with the A10.

I would think that the F5 is difficult to trim possibly because of how sensitive the hat switches are in DCS.

Even in the Mirage, I have a hard time locking onto a target on the radar because I can't slew onto it easily.

But, it seems I am not alone with the issue, so the good thing is that it confirms what I thought, it's not related to my joystick.

Finally, to answer one's question about trimming : Yes, I first try to have a stable flight and only then do I trim to relieve pressure from the controls. As most pointed out, I still have to constantly adjust pitch, roll and thrust, but at least I don't need to apply constant pressure on the stick. I guess this is normal and how one should fly the F-5 right?
Sylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #17
TWC_SLAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
Adjust your axis curves. I have a group of 6 guys and were able to.fly tight formation in the F5. Once you adjust your curves itel ease out that touchy movement.
Could we get their curves, please?

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 500GB SSD, ASUS B250 MB, Intel i7 7700 3.6ghz CPU, GTX 1080 GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 49" 4K 60hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, 2xCougar MFDs, 2xPRDevices MFD Backlights, Voice Attack.
TWC_SLAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
DeltaMike

Better to map the TDC slew to your joystick. It needs a big dead zone, I'm at 6 now and that's not even quite enough. Flatten it out, I use a curvature of 25. Until you get used to it, you might want to reduce Y saturation, which limits the maximum speed of the cursor.

As for trim, remember maintain straight and level flight with the stick, not the trim. Trying to fly the thing with the trim button never works out.

You adjust trim by feel, not by visual indicators. If you're having to pull back on the stick to maintain level flight, pulse the trim button once or twice and see how that affected the back pressure on the stick. Repeat as necessary.

Flight instructor, DCS Academy
DeltaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #19
TWC_SLAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMike View Post
Better to map the TDC slew to your joystick. It needs a big dead zone, I'm at 6 now and that's not even quite enough. Flatten it out, I use a curvature of 25. Until you get used to it, you might want to reduce Y saturation, which limits the maximum speed of the cursor.

As for trim, remember maintain straight and level flight with the stick, not the trim. Trying to fly the thing with the trim button never works out.

You adjust trim by feel, not by visual indicators. If you're having to pull back on the stick to maintain level flight, pulse the trim button once or twice and see how that affected the back pressure on the stick. Repeat as necessary.
Thanks, I’ll try that. But I would still like to see the curves 000rick000 mentioned. They sound great.

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 500GB SSD, ASUS B250 MB, Intel i7 7700 3.6ghz CPU, GTX 1080 GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 49" 4K 60hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, 2xCougar MFDs, 2xPRDevices MFD Backlights, Voice Attack.
TWC_SLAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #20
Greyhound11

just got the F-5E and yeah, she's squirelly. Time for some curves. I don't use them in anything else.
Greyhound11 is offline   Reply With Quote