Speed brakes not working in latest version - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
MasterZelgadis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
If they didn't have any effect...they wouldn't be installed...
They have a great effect, but I think in a dive the effect is not so big. Depending on the angle. That's why I said "pointed to the ground"

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."
http://www.space-view.net
MasterZelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsgas View Post
Can you provide a track or tell us specific details like this.
This!

I haven't noticed any problems with the speed brakes in a long time. OP, can you give us some more info to work with? A track or a video would be ideal, but at least give a proper description. Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with the others, the speed brakes seem to be working just fine.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
dononelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Are you saying you don't see them open or close or that they have no aerodynamic effect (or both)?
They open just fine - there is zero effect, even when flying horizontally. Hell, I can take off, at 95% capacity, with them full open and no effect!
Old 10-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
dononelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
If they didn't have any effect...they wouldn't be installed...
Exactly. Look at the enormous effect a few inches of displacement of ailerons do to the aircraft.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #15
dononelson

Default re: Brakes

Old 10-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #16
LeCuvier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dononelson View Post
It seems like 1.5 since speed brakes have worked, but I thought I'd bring it up now for 2.x.x - how do we find out the build we're on??

Anyway, in a dive with no weapons, throttles to idle, speed brakes have absolutely no effect. I can try to capture this for anyone interested, but it's bloody easy to reproduce. Of course, the effect is worse with weapons - like Fred Flinstone putting his feet out on motor oil... nuthin.

I reckon you get the drift.

Don
1. to find out what build you are on, just request an update. That will display your current version No. and, if that's not the latest, the version No. of the update that's available.
2. Do you expect the speed brake to have the effect of a drag chute? It doesn't. The speed brake cannot void the acceleration you get when you dive steeply. It does help you to slow down when you prepare for landing and it will generally slow you down when you are in level flight or descending at moderate sink rate. If you do't experience any effect, check your bindings. By the way, you should hear the noise of the speed brake when it's deployed. And of course, you have to hold the button until the brake is fully extended. If you just hit the button and then release it, the brake will only extend a little bit.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #17
bbrz

Quote:
Hell, I can take off, at 95% capacity, with them full open and no effect!
And? Speedbrakes are only effective at high speed.

Quote:
Look at the enormous effect a few inches of displacement of ailerons do to the aircraft
You are comparing apples and oranges since ailerons only need to create a roll moment.
Btw, a few inches of aileron deflection don't cause a noticeable amount of drag. Not even full deflection causes a strong increase in drag.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
dononelson

Default Speed Brakes

I'll give you a video if I can. For now, the theater is Nevada, altitude ~10000 MSL, IAS ~180, Core RPM ~90%, OAT (F) 41.

Build is 2.5.3.22176. No ordinance loaded. With full speed brakes, no change in IAS. Speed brakes retracted, no change in IAS.

As I said before, I can take off with 95% load or more with speed brakes fully deployed, and no effect on airframe performance.

BTW, this is on Win10, 3.2GHz, 16Gb, 2Tb, NV660GTX (2Gb), not the greatest HOTAS in the world, etc.

Don
Old 10-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #19
bbrz

This doesn't match mvsgas' observation at all and he's using the same build….weird.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #20
dononelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
This doesn't match mvsgas' observation at all and he's using the same build….weird.
Hopefully, this *.trk file will help dispell any doubts.
Attached Files
File Type: trk LastMissionTrack.trk (35.3 KB, 6 views)