Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk Inspired Skin

Wrench

Hey all.

So I really liked Dunkirk (The movie, not the evacuation)

It actually inspired me to start flying WWII again.

I know it's not the most historically accurate movie ever made, but it's no Braveheart, either.

Anyway,

The "109" in the film have a very distinct Livery, so I thought I'd see what I could do to replicate it.

One error is the wavy pattern on the edges of the two-tone. I was far too lazy to fix that, and figured you'll never notice it in flight. :music_whistling:

I also used wildw1ng's "Hoheitszeichen" Mod, Given that I'm not prone to historical censorship.

**Edit**

So I fixed a few errors and fixed the wavy lines I was hitherto too lazy to do.

Screens:

So here's the main reference image, taken from Warbirdsnews.com:

MLR_2586a.jpg

I a made Hand-Painted Version and a Procedurally Generated version since I'm not that good at painting.

Screens:

Painted:

Fixed version:

1UeqLQ4.png

8qCziFl.jpg

HBHCvgc.jpg

Procedural

IPktW6B.jpg

ed05JfF.jpg

It's nothing special, but it's all set up for JSGME if you'd like to try it yourself.

**EDIT**

Added attachments. Had to separate the two to meet the forums' file size restriction.

BF109 Dunkirk Skins-Painted.zip

BF109 Dunkirk Skins-Rendered.zip

Edited by Wrench
Gave credit for wildw1ng's mod

No need to be so modest, it looks great! Download link?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice skin, I'll try it later!

It is. It's a HA-1112 Buchon. A Bf 109G with a RR Merlin engine. It's the identical '109' that has been used in the old Battle of Britain movie.

The camouflage is very similar to the standard 109 camo during this timeframe for the E.

To movie goers it's almost as famous as the 109 because it is seen in so many movies. I still did not understand why they made it in CGI too.

Nice Job Wrench!! - if you are liking the look of yellow on those smooth noses check out some of the F2 and F4 eastern front schemes from 41, especially the ones where the yellow has been degraded or over painted. Some really nice schemes worn around that time.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Boosterdog,

I will certainly have a look, thanks.

I do like the yellow nose. I really found it interesting how Nolan used them for the film even though it's not strictly accurate.

As a history buff (YouTube channel name drop 100% intended) I can appreciate the difference between historical inaccuracies that matter, and detract from a film (i.e. braveheart) and those which truly do not matter, like that one.

"Yellow nosed bastards" , The Battle of Britain Film, and painted on every airfix 109 model made as a kid - all solid Folk memories.

I'm pretty sure Abe Lincoln didnt always sport that beard but ill bet few would recognise him without it.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

A really bad movie.. from all aspects.. The intention was good, though :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

thats not a 109
Indeed it is, even though Spanish built it had an official Messerschmitt variant name, Bf109J.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 5 weeks later...

I think the reason why they are often said to be not 109s is because they carry a RR Merlin and only started to fly after the war. Hitler never kept his promise to supply DB engines to the Gustav airframes gifted to Franco.

Having to accomodate the Merlin meant the cowling shape had to be enlarged and stretched, making it decidedly un-Messerschmidt like.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

I know why some say the Buchon (built in the factory which is now a gym and I used to go there to swim) is not a 109. Still no matter what they say being built under license it definitely is. Even if I myself build a brand new one following blueprints or remains of an old one (what they call "restoration" albeit it is a brand new build) it would be a 109, so those licensed by Messerschmitt ARE 109 the same as Avia built also were and the remaining ARE Messerschmitt even though Jumo engined and no one flying today.

So those saying it is not a 109, please stop it, IT IS a license build 109. But please, don't believe me, this is the factory manual for the model,

11069229_952528224757611_6088915701164224022_n.thumb.jpg.51767d5298d4f11606cc79d67acef160.jpg

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Easy all, lets all play nice, please. And stick to the OP topic as well.
You're right :thumbup: , sorry for the words. Didn't say a name though, it was a generic call.

S!