Is the Normandy map dead?

imacken

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well well, we did get a bit of a facelift of the map in 2.5.2 after all. Corrected dirt runways & taxiways colour plus noticeably reduced microstutters are the biggest positive surprises of the day for me (nobody bothered to mention anything about Normandy in patch changelog as usual).

They even might have toned down the infamous psychodelic field colours a bit, although I haven't tested all season sceneries yet, I only tried September one.

Evereux still doesn't have concrete runway, but beggars can't be choosers I guess ;). Only had time for one short flight there today, but I'm looking forward to do more tomorrow.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the map (and WW2 assets pack) just got updated, with concrete airfields finally introduced.

DCS Normandy 1944

More detailed objects and realistic airfield textures. The textures now reflect the more dusty, lighter, sandy surfaces

Removal of permanent structures from ALG airfields

Concrete surfaces for the airfields of Evreux, Carpiquet, and Tangmere

Shallow water zones along the coastal areas

New stone bridges

More structures like farm houses outside the detailed areas of the map

Added more objects like windmills

WWII Assets pack

New units added:

M12 gun motor carriage

M30 cargo carrier

M2A1/M3 halftrack

StuG IV

SdKfz 234/2 "Puma"

SdKfz 234 7 artillery tractor

SdKfz 234 7 251

SdKfz 234 2 Kettenkrad

Horch staff car

New barrage balloons

LCVP Higgins boats

UK soldier

Lol!

I gave up trying to educate the sensasionalist brigade ManOWar. They're like disciples of Nostrodamus. Just let 'em get on with it.

It's... it's... it's a living dead! RUN!

Pity video sharing start time isn't working, effect isn't so dramatic :D :lol: :lol: :lol: .

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The update is solid and the map looks and runs (relatively) great however "Removal of permanent structures from ALG airfields" is not done. Huge fuel tanks and stone buildings still all over the place.

Still, it is a great improvement and a big step in the right direction.

Well done team.

Look like the silly stones scattered all over the airbases are gone at last. So is most of the grass, unfortunately, but if that's the price to pay for keeping the acceptable performance, so be it!

Now If only they could implement the speedtree tech over here in the near future, as the microstutter caused by old trees during low level fast strafing runs is still a bit extreme. It sticks out like a sore thumb after experiencing superior tree rendering on Caucasus.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Is the update for the Beta only?

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Yes, most updates are pushed to Open Beta first.

Thanks. I just read about the "update" to the Normandy map. Looking forward to the "D-Day" additions.

I wish ED would say that its "beta" only in their advertisement's. It would save me having to search on the forums for this information!

When the beta 2.5.2 gets into my 2.5 "stable", I will be like a kid with a new toy....F/A18 (working with the release bugs sorted out). Normandy D-Day map etc etc... If its ready for Christmas?

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• 2 weeks later...

imo the normandy and caucasus and nttr will be update with the latest map tech from time to time iirc it has been updated since january.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

At least last night I couldn't find any online servers covering Normandy.
Stable or OB? I changed my main installation from stable to OB in order to fly the Hornet and have a go to PG and was surprised to find many more servers in MP with the OB than stable, which I can't blame them for. Don't know about last night, but there were even many WWII servers last time I checked which again (positively) surprised me really.

Anyway, we know WWII isn't the main strength of DCS with regards to gameplay and number of users.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

ACG and BURNING SKIES are usually up and running, but hardly any players in them.

I don't really understand why. WW2 servers used to be quite popular back when we only had the Caucasus map.

We now have more WW2 content than ever, but no one flying.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Stable or OB? I changed my main installation from stable to OB in order to fly the Hornet and have a go to PG and was surprised to find many more servers in MP with the OB than stable, which I can't blame them for. Don't know about last night, but there were even many WWII servers last time I checked which again (positively) surprised me really.

Anyway, we know WWII isn't the main strength of DCS with regards to gameplay and number of users.

S!

I'm indeed in OB - maybe that's the quirk ?

Well, let's hope for better WW2 enthusiasm in the future :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...