Noob RAM question

I have 2X 4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133MHz, can I get the same and have 16GB. I'm not sure what duel/quad channel mean, my board specs are below.

Asus Z87-A

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel Memory Architecture

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

As long as they match, yes, you should be able to. Note, there are some internal memory timings that may vary slightly between sticks from different batches even if they're the "same". Your PC will automatically adjust them to match to whichever one is lowest (this is a minor thing, unless you're anal about performance)

Regarding dual/quad channels, it basically boils down to the RAM bandwidth your processor is designed to handle. I did a quick search, looks like your CPU is dual-channel. If you plug in four sticks, it will still only run dual channel, but you'll also still double your available RAM.

But to answer your main question, yes you can, and no it won't hurt anything. I suggest purchasing the same thing you already have, don't purchase a vastly faster RAM for example, as it's going to get clocked down to the slower pair anyway. Also, read your manual to see how your slots are numbered so you can make sure the sticks are paired together. For example, the slots may be numbered 1, 3, 2, 4, not 1, 2, 3, 4, so be sure you put your sticks in the right order.

Note: This is the internet, and people may object based on what they deem priorities and their own knowledge level.

-edit

In your particular case, since you're only buying two sticks anyway, and you're using a dual channel setup... You'd be ahead, instead of buying two more fours, just pull the two you have and plug in two eights. Then you get the quantity boost, and don't have to worry about quad channel. If you DO get two more 4s, I want to repeat, get the same ones you already have. Mixing different types can cause problems with compatibility.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

good luck getting 2 different kits to work together, it can be trouble some

getting them to play ball (even if same make / model)

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Even if the Ram kit you have is identical in timing and speed all the way down to the part# you still run a chance that the memory chips that are on the physical ram itself could be different which could cause a problem. You might be lucky to get it to work without issue but it is not always guaranteed to work.

Personally I don't have any knowledge on how it might be possible to tell if the newer ram might have newer memory chips. I know there are revision # on corsair ram which might be able to tell you if there is a update to the ram itself. But a question like that would be better answered by the ram manufacture themselves.

Hope this helps. Its all up in the air some times you get lucky like I said above and everything works great. But sometimes it might not work great.

Edited by iKyrThraad993i

I've never really messed with it, myself. Everytime I've bought RAM, the old stuff was so old, it was just junk anyway. I'll probably be using what I have now until DDR5 comes out :P

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Only buy them at a store where you can take them back and try another pack.

As many above already said, it's a gamble and you have the lesser cards from beginning on.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The easiest way is to sell your current memory and buy new ones. Its not worth the trouble to mix them up.

Just buy new 2x8GB kit and be done with it.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.