F-15C dogfighting tips? (Against specific aircraft).

dundun92

Hi all,

I am looking for dogfighting tips for the F-15C against specific aircraft. I already know the basics of energy fighting, I simply am looking for tips that exploit the weaknesses of specific aircraft. Namely:

1. Su-27

2. MiG-29

3. F-5E

4. M2000C

5. MiG-21Bis

6. AI F-16

7. AI F-14

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

• 1 month later...

I can only speak from the perspective of an Su-27 driver. In this case, though the Eagle is competitive at WVR fighting, do not allow the enemy to suck you in to a WVR fight. At anything under ~6,000m altitude (~19,500 feet) the Su-27 enjoys a slightly better sustained turn rate, however the combination of better absolute nose authority, helmet mounted sight and the off-bore capabilities of the R-73 will give the Flanker a decisive advantage assuming equal pilot skill.

The Su-27 pilot also has significantly worse situational awareness, unless he / she has an active AWACS or EWR datalink. Even then the RWR in the F-15C will give you better SA than the SPo-15 in the Su-27.

Last and possibly most significantly, you have the ability to launch your AIM-120 and then extend if necessary as soon as the missile goes pitbull, whereas the Su-27 pilot will have to guide his R-27ER all the way to impact. Be careful though because the R-27ER will out accelerate your AIM-120 by a handy margin.

My advice would be to launch & crank, and avoid getting sucked in to a WVR fight if at all possible. You should also keep your eyes on a swivel, because the EOS allows the Su-27 (and MiG-29 in this case) pilot to launch IR missiles at you without warning from your RWR.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Fpole game for eagle is borderline braindead, but WVR it is doomed. stay away best advice always

29 is pretty similar imo, though i'm not sure of it's exact flight characteristics (less maneuverable than sukhoi?) HMS means fight should be over in first 10 seconds even assuming he's a fool and does stick to gut pull into WEZ and then just launches at you.

eagle is basically turkey WVR compared from what i've seen. you're actual WVR advantage is chiefly the low-smoke motor which gets you a lot of surprise kills within 4~nm merge, as the enemy will have trouble seeing it. smart move on sukhoi's part is to assume 100% there is a brace of sidewinders in air and pump flares as if life depended on it going into merge

tl;dr avoid merge against any red FC3 aircraft, any 3rd gen or below is going to be double inferior to you and you can probably engage with confidence assuming equal numbers and SA. granted, i probably wouldn't do this and instead just RTR, fox3, crank and extend as a matter of course because taking risks is a dumb thing to do if you don't have to.

Edited by Cik

All the Flanker drivers are like "xdddddd don't merge" :D

I say merge...

But...

Have an advantage...Or two...Or three. That's the beauty of the Eagle, you can get quite a bit from BVR and pre-merge, if you try. Whether it's altitude, airspeed, knocking down half the enemy flight, etc.

I'd try to merge with a numbers advantage. Get a loyal wingman if you can and try to merge 2v1.

As for fighting Flankers 1v1 in PVP (in a likely to be LAGGY environment)...Min range the Archer. I'd say take the Flanker in a level or oblique one circle if you can.

Remember, their trim system screws up their max AOA if they don't reset trim at the merge. Stupid little things like that will cost them bigly. And the Flanker is very configuration-dependent. It ain't a great performer with 5-10 AAMs and a lotta gas. Take your best guess at what its carrying before the merge and plan accordingly. If he's heavy, maybe you can do some weird stuff. Some out of plane maneuvering, nose-tail stuff, etc. - It depends.

As for Fulcrums...Cik is pretty much right on (can't believe I'm saying that :P). The Fulcrum is like an Eagle but a bit crappier.Fight it like it's your clone, but respect the Archer. If you disrespect it, he'll unleash the archers...

F-5 is pretty simple: Don't lose sight. You'll outperform it pretty much no matter what...But you wanna keep it really close-in. Its biggest advantage is its ability to disappear.

I had a merge a few years ago with a Flanker where I was FAR more aggressive than he was and ended up high to low in a vertical rate fight for about two turns. I ran him out of energy and gunned him, after defeating quite a few missiles. Anything's possible, just don't give up. I thought I was dead for sure after the first turn in that fight. :pilotfly:

Lord of Salt

With all of above advices, one thing for sure is alot of practices and the best opponent is human opponent. You can join a squadron or ask nicely one of those aces like member of 104th (F-15) , 51st (Su-27) , or SF (F-15) to conduct BVR or WVR combat training with you. If you can win most of the fights with them, you can win against any fighters in DCS.

Good luck

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Thanks everyone!

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

I liked your short answers, Cik. Do you have any for Mig-23, 25 and 31?

double inferior, that is to say will lose both BVR and WVR due to poor maneuvering capability + low energy maintenance capability and poor weapon characteristics (esp. seeking and range) also probably inferior of number of carried weapons. avionics are also likely significantly worse (3rd gen) visibility is likely also garbage. basically, a museum relic.

double inferior. WVR capability essentially nonexistent, low number of missiles. very fast however- chase is likely pointless. will lose joust with you due to poor missile capability, even if you are restricted to sparrows. double inferior generally.

dangerous. single inferior - WVR is going to be laughably trash, F/E-pole likely very nasty. avionics probably relatively refined, probably v. good radar and missile characteristics (both seeking and range) draw down into turning fight if able, attack from multiple directions and enter fight with maximum possible kinetic energy so as to ensure your stick is as long as possible- fire to force maneuvers as energy maintenance is likely relatively poor if forced defensive (due to big plane) will probably actually count as a fight unlike others in list.

keep in mind though that any of these can bag you if they have SA on you. it is important to be sharp and to task your package such that you will have good awareness of your surroundings.

keep in mind though that any of these can bag you if they have SA on you. it is important to be sharp and to task your package such that you will have good awareness of your surroundings.

Thank You, Sir. Very good read.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 11 months later...