[FIXED INTERNALLY] Rough engine run when inverted and elevator effectivness

Vita_CZ

Greetings to developers,

As soon as I put my simulated Yak in inverted flight, engine RPM starts to jump periodically and engine seems to loose power. According to manual and my friend, who owns real Yak 52, Yak engine works well up to two minutes when inverted.

Would you mind to fix it please?

Also, inverted flight elevator effectiveness seems to be bit off. It is quite a problem to do negative vertical maneuvers (like 8.5.5.2 from CIVA catalog) due to insufficient elevator effectiveness.

Truth is that it is not easy to perform this maneuver in real Yak too, as it is prone to inverted stall in second quarter of the inverted loop, but in simulated one, it is pretty hard to get the Yak even to second quarter of the inverted loop.

I tried various entry speeds from 300 (young idealist :-) ) to 400, but it did not help much.

Have a nice day!

Vita

As soon as I put my simulated Yak in inverted flight, engine RPM starts to jump periodically and engine seems to loose power. According to manual and my friend, who owns real Yak 52, Yak engine works well up to two minutes when inverted.

Good observation concerning inverted flight. I totally forgot about the 5.5l collector tank.

Btw, if you use the full 2min inverted flight, you must not repeat this for the next 3min.

Concerning the lack of elevator authority when pushing the stick forward, this has been reported and acknowledged already :)

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

• 1 month later...

Yak 52 elevator trim

I have just got the 52 and it's great. The elevator trim seems pretty ineffective though. Anyone else have the same opinion?

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

I have just discovered the DCS repair and update on the windows menu. Ran a clean and update and went straight to the Yak. Pitch behaviour much improved. Still think the trim is a bit off as there is not much trim nose up authority.

I find it impossible to trim straight and level. After a second or two of hands off, down she goes. Now I have never flown a Yak so I don't know if the ship is naturally nose heavy. Because of the big radial up front the ship must have been designed with adequate nose up trim.

I don't think it is my joystick setup as this problem doesn't happen with my P51's. What say the Yak pilots?

Thanks for a great SIM.

Windows 10 Home 64bit

I find it impossible to trim straight and level. After a second or two of hands off, down she goes. Now I have never flown a Yak so I don't know if the ship is naturally nose heavy. Because of the big radial up front the ship must have been designed with adequate nose up trim.

I don't think it is my joystick setup as this problem doesn't happen with my P51's..

It must be your joystick setup because on my install there's a lot of pitch trim authority in both directions.

With full nose up trim I get her into the stall warning range with neutral stick.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

After playing with joystick settings, I increased the spring centring and removed the DCS force feedback setting.I am using an old Logitech Force 3D pro and I use the Logitech software to calibrate and test the stick.

Of course I made the wrong comparison between the P51 trim and the Yak trim and so ruled out the stick.

The P51 has 2 big elevator trim tabs whereas the Yak only has one.

I suppose IRL no one flies a Yak 52 in longitudinal level trim for very long anyway.

Loving all of DCS World.

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Yes all sorted now. Changed spring centre settings. Will be interested to see how the P51's and Mi 8 behave but I cannot get away from the Yak.

Edited by Skwinty
Emoticon doesn't display

Windows 10 Home 64bit