How does DCS cleanup/repair work?

kengou

I have some unknown modded files that are breaking integrity check. I want to clear them out. If I do the DCS Cleanup/Repair utility, it says it will get rid of files that are not official. Does this mean it'll get rid of custom or downloaded missions, or wipe bindings? What specifically will it target?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• ED Team

Hi

cleanup will remove all files in the install location that should not be there

repair will repair the build

It will not touch mods or missions in your saved games dcs folder, only the dcs root location

hope that helps

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I did a repair yesterday, there were two options "clean ur mods" "not clean ur mods", forgot the actual options. I have gone with the option to clean my mods. After a while a box appears, which files are not vanilla, u can choose to backup them, they are saved in _backup000 folder in Dcs root folder

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I did a repair yesterday, there were two options "clean ur mods" "not clean ur mods", forgot the actual options. I have gone with the option to clean my mods. After a while a box appears, which files are not vanilla, u can choose to backup them, they are saved in _backup000 folder in Dcs root folder

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

It appears to put removed files into folders in your DCS World installation named _backup.000, etc. (I see it's removed some files that I know I never modded. I guess maybe these are files that have been removed from the distributeable?)

And I don't understand why the Updater can't just do what the Repair app does.

^ It IS the DCS_updater.exe doing that work, repair and cleanup are just additional scripts / comands for it :).

Also, it already does what you suggest - when you update DCS, updater does the integrity check and replaces modded files in the root folder (thus its important to disable mods, or put them into Saved Games location altogether). Sometimes, player wants / needs to run these commands between updates for whatever reson, though, and that's why we can do it via links, command prompt window, or SkateZilla's utility.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

repair will repair the build

To be more specific, repair replaces missing files. It not fix corrupted/edited files.

If you know a particular file is corrupt or modded in some way, you have to remove it first, then run a repair to get the "OEM" file.

To be more specific, repair replaces missing files. It not fix corrupted/edited files.

If you know a particular file is corrupt or modded in some way, you have to remove it first, then run a repair to get the "OEM" file.

I think, the updater checks at least the file sizes and replaces files where the size doesn't match with the original. I am not sure, if actually a checksum or something similar is calculated to find changed files - the repair mode of the updater seems to be a bit too fast to actually do that.

So, it is possible that local modification go unnoticed by the repair run if the modification does not result in a different file size, yes.

Nah, you're wrong, mate. It does replace modded files with downloaded originals, moving the modded ones to "backup" folder it creates. Always been like that as far as I know. Just tested it on current Open Beta to make sure.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
I am not sure, if actually a checksum or something similar is calculated to find changed files - the repair mode of the updater seems to be a bit too fast to actually do that.

So, it is possible that local modification go unnoticed by the repair run if the modification does not result in a different file size, yes.

It can miss a local modification when neither file size nor file modification time did change.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.