F14A and IRST

I thought it was pretty clear we're getting a separate IRIAF F-14A in addition to the USN F-14A.

I am not sure if the E is usable for player aircraft, if it is, we might make it available, if not the F will have to do. Sidewinders will be adjusted accordingly as well, I forgot that. But like I said, we won't go past anything which is available in DCS and either fits or fits closely. The IRIAF version is just a bonus to the bonus if you like and we cannot allocate too much development time to it unfortunately.

The wording here and in this thread implied it's a bonus on top of the USN F-14A that we're already getting. In any case I would be immensely surprised if we somehow ended up with Heatblur not releasing a USN F-14A.

IDK, just talking out loud here, but could we get both with a ME option to disable the tcs?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Oh no, the opposite. It's going to be a USN F-14a shared for both US and Iran. Atleast that's what I got from it.

That was my interpretation.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

As for flood mode:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/weapons.html#normal-mode

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/weapons.html#boresight-mode

However, pilot's called it a "hail mary bad idea" mode, and in fact during trainings were not awarded any points for kills using the flood mode. In general a flood antenna guides the missile to the target with the strongest returns in its cone, but it is very unreliable and the cone is quite small. The one in the F15 in FC3 is quite overdone, in real life probably no one would use it in either aircraft.

If you launch an aim7 in BRST, you basically launch it in flood mode. Not recommended.

Mike,

Can you tell us if this is actually functional in DCS? I've never seen a sparrow guide this way (heck I can't even get one to fire). Also, what is the practical game functionality of SP PD mode? Does PD have any benefits or detriments?

Are these two things actually modeled and working in our current open beta build or are we still waiting on missile API for all these features?

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

I thought it was pretty clear we're getting a separate IRIAF F-14A in addition to the USN F-14A.

The wording here and in this thread implied it's a bonus on top of the USN F-14A that we're already getting. In any case I would be immensely surprised if we somehow ended up with Heatblur not releasing a USN F-14A.

I think that ONLY means The dozen or so IRIAF skins.

He went into detail what would change. There was nothing centric to iran. It looked like a USN A+ that could way better masquerade as a IRAF F14.

From 1983 or so and onward, the only time you would see a bullet fairing on a Tomcat was on a RAG jet. In my 10+ years I never saw a bullet fairing on a fleet jet. We kept one in the shop, but never had occasion to use it.

What's a RAG jet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Oh no, the opposite. It's going to be a USN F-14a shared for both US and Iran. Atleast that's what I got from it.

Heres the post I was referring to.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4316281&postcount=187

Ah, yes. That post. Yeah, i agree with you guys, that does sound like NAVY bird, adapted for Iran usage. I'm not here as often as i'd like lately, so i thought there was a post i missed somewhere :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Unlikely. We will really make a very reduced navy version or as early proposed to Iran version. Changing hud symbology and behavior takes a lot of work and we just have to put a stop somewhere. It is not all final yet, but to give you a bit of an idea what it will look like:

- around 16 different IRIAF skins+ USAF Asia Minor (the one that stayed behind)

- only aim54A, aim7-E(?)/F and only early aim9s (I'd have to check which versions, but prolly l

In Iran-Iraqi war IRIAF probably never carried Aim-7E on its F-14s.

IRIAF used sparrows only on F-4s.

But after this war was probably used due unavailability of phoenixes .. its possible found several photos and videos usage in last years where is F-14 loaded with sparrows.

Edited by Magot

In Iran-Iraqi war IRIAF probably never carried Aim-7E on its F-14s.

IRIAF used sparrows only on F-4s.

But after this war was probably used due unavailability of phoenixes .. its possible found several photos and videos usage in last years where is F-14 loaded with sparrows.

Cooper and Bishop's book have pictures dated to the early 1980s with IRIAF F-14s carrying AIM-7Es, as well as interviews with their aircrews who indicated that they absolutely did carry them during the Iran/Iraq war. One pilot interviewed, "Maj Nuzran," explained "the normal load comprised two AIM-54s, two or three AIM-7s and two AIM-9s for the leader of the pair, and six AIM-7s and two AIM-9s for the wingman. On a number of missions, especially during 1984-85 - my Tomcat carried only one AIM-54, and usually I had none at all."

Reference:

Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop, "Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat," (UK: Osprey Publishing, 2004), 63.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

I dont know if I missed something but I dont know where the hell you guys are reading Iran and early USN f14.

I read F14 A Plus and not as deep changes as we.d all like bc they gotta draw tge line somewhere. Besides the engines they named a handful of changes, the biggest move towards it being Iranian will solely be the 36 iirc IRIAF skins besides just the regular stuff like the engines etc.

I think they did an amazing job on this module and I get the work has to stop somewhere.

Ill still be that douche and say I was a little disappointed at the breadth of changes compared to the B. But of course no one knows except HB until we get our handsnon it.

I think you guys are expecting way too much. I totally readaF14 A like a A plus rlly thats a USN bird that will have beaucoup Iranian liveries and it wont be too much a stretch to put someone in one as a "iranian"

Seriously guys.. you should reign in the hope train - heres what I meant

:

From page 1

Thank you.

Unlikely. We will really make a very reduced navy version or as early proposed to Iran version. Changing hud symbology and behavior takes a lot of work and we just have to put a stop somewhere. It is not all final yet, but to give you a bit of an idea what it will look like:

- around 16 different IRIAF skins+ USAF Asia Minor (the one that stayed behind)

- only aim54A, aim7-E(?)/F and only early aim9s (I'd have to check which versions, but prolly l or older)

- only mk82 to mk84

- no lantirn

- no TCS (but TCS covered, not removed)

- no ACL/ICLS

^^this is neither a comprehensive, nor a final list, it is just me listing stuff top of my head, but I doubt we will go any further than that. I think this will still set it apart enough to make it a nice opponent or flyable on the Iranian side.

As for flood mode:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/we...ml#normal-mode

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/we...boresight-mode

However, pilot's called it a "hail mary bad idea" mode, and in fact during trainings were not awarded any points for kills using the flood mode. In general a flood antenna guides the missile to the target with the strongest returns in its cone, but it is very unreliable and the cone is quite small. The one in the F15 in FC3 is quite overdone, in real life probably no one would use it in either aircraft.

If you launch an aim7 in BRST, you basically launch it in flood mode. Not recommended.

As the man said it wasnt comprehensive but trust me if those are the ideas on the top of his head its not gonna be some total nww airframe experience. He didnt mention the engines which are the hugest thing. If we got the engines and them to put the correct engine instrumentation in the B, and added tarps Id be happy.

I hate to admit it because they do great work but I wish theyd ditch all the skins but 2 or 3. Let the community suss that out

Edited by Sublimearrepentido

Both the engines and correct gauges for the -B are planned if you look in the Q1E Development Update thread

F-14A work continues as one of our top priorities, outside of the Forrestal, Jester LANTIRN, -B engine gauges, and other big ticket items. Features still in development include;

Artwork changes (engine nozzles, engine nacelles, sensors, differing cockpit panels, etc.)

P&W TF30 Engines

New soundset (and sound overhaul for F-14B!)

ALR-45

Liveries

I think we're confusing terminology here as well. The F-14A+ IS the original designation of the F-14B. The F-14A remained the F-14A until the end.

If I read right, the Iranian F-14A we're getting will just be the USN F-14A with the TCS covered by a bullet fairing and the precision weapons and TARPS disabled, not a new model reflecting a typical Block 90 F-14.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I think we're confusing terminology here as well. The F-14A+ IS the original designation of the F-14B. The F-14A remained the F-14A until the end.

If I read right, the Iranian F-14A we're getting will just be the USN F-14A with the TCS covered by a bullet fairing and the precision weapons and TARPS disabled, not a new model reflecting a typical Block 90 F-14.

Exactly thank you.

Its not going to be as drastic as thought

I know th2 engines are correct. Didnt know about the gauges. was a little shocked to find out we were using A model engine instruments

Well AFAIK early Bs and As remanufactured to Bs did have the engine instruments we have now so its not totally unrealistic

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

What Spiceman said. Didn't work, was never used really and before the time of our A, which is closer towards an A+ than very very early As that would have had IRST. But hey, we did flood mode, and just like in real life, no one uses it haha. So sometimes it is nice to also model stuff that did not work out so well, but in the case of IRST the development required for an effectively inoperational device is just nothing we could justify.

I sometimes use FLOOD

Yes you can

https://i.imgur.com/X4HpMJI.png

I've also seen an F-14B NATOPS that shows the exact instruments we have now in DCS.

That doesn't prove anything, it's just some random low quality images showing "spot the difference". The GE's have a more digital engine control while the TF30's use a hydromechanical system. I'd gladly hear from some SME to prove me wrong but I am pretty sure I am 99,5% right on this one.

Yep

The gauges are DEFINITELY digital. Any 90s or 80s kid will immediately recognize that black screen. Thats a 80s or 90s era digital screen. Basic maybe color maybe not. But those engine bars and all that are measurdd digitally and it probably responds faster info wise.

Its clear to me at least our engine instruments belonf in the A.

Note 2 our RWR seems off. Our RWR seems too high it seems other stuff should be over it?

Whats a F14B(U)?

Yep

The gauges are DEFINITELY digital. Any 90s or 80s kid will immediately recognize that black screen. Thats a 80s or 90s era digital screen. Basic maybe color maybe not. But those engine bars and all that are measurdd digitally and it probably responds faster info wise.

Its clear to me at least our engine instruments belonf in the A.

Note 2 our RWR seems off. Our RWR seems too high it seems other stuff should be over it?

Whats a F14B(U)?

Probably an F14B with the late upgrades (Sparrowhawk HUD being the main one in the cockpit).