Krasnodar Military Flight Academy

Thor_H

Hello DCS community!

I host a game called the Krasnodar Military Flight Academy quite regularly, in these game sessions i focus on learning the basics of flying a military aircraft the way it would have been tought to students of the VVS back in the 80's.

The session only contains 2 aircrafts, the yak 52 and the L-39 and no weapons are ever fired, i simply just practice take offs and landings, patterns, climbing and descending, navigation etc etc.

Most of the time i do this alone but occasionally someone joins and usually this end up a very pleasant experience flying and interaction wise. So if anyone would be interested in popping in for some general flight training, formation flying or just chit chat about planes and whatnot you are more than welcome to join.

Bear in mind though that the session is just about flying and learning to fly, you must go and rack up kills elsewhere(plenty of those sessions around). The ultimate goal of all this is ofcourse to become a decent pilot and perhaps find someone to share this with that are more or less in the same state of mind:)

A dream for the future is to have this kind of server on a regular basis and with instructors to fill the backseats of the trainers, but for now i am just glad if theres someone out there that might share an interest in something like this.

Best wishes "Hookit"

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

Thor that sounds like a great idea. I might pop in there sometime. You can also jump on my server. I encourage that kind of flying on the server. And I usually have training aircraft available.

Edited by Zeagle

Thank your for the kind words Zeagle, looked at your video and had a gander for your server in the server list. I might join it some day, seems good.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

Need some help and inspiration please...

I would like if i may ask if anyone could lend a hand in pointing me in the right direction to get the training regime set up.

What would be the correct lessons to start out cadets with and then how to progress beyond that.

I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Best wishes "Hookit"

I would say primary flight training such as ground schooling on weather, phraseology, principles of flight, instruments, and basic traffic patterns. Then on to more exciting things such as transition to faster planes, formation flying, weapons, acm, etc. You could have a lesson on taxiing and airport operations, traffic patterns, basic navigation, instruments, crosswinds, etc. Then maybe a lesson on formation flying, basic weapon delivery, bfm, etc.

You could make a lot of videos on those subjects.

Thanks for your input Zeagle, that gave me some ideas and i will have to start putting such lessons togheter from available material.

The philosophy is to offer something different than learning trough watching youtube videos solo, as great as many of them are it is still a lonesome and sometimes boring experiance and also to offer an alternative to having to join a squad to get in-sim training.

I was hoping to be able to greet a new pilot with an instant multiplayer experience bypassing some of the youtube material or the pilot in question could combine, or fall back on them later after "basic" flight training was over.

Was thinking the first lessons should focus on using DCS itself, setting up controls, knowing the differences between simulated and real aviation etc. as well as getting used to online interaction within the sim.

Also do i need 2 separate "schools", one western and one eastern as there are some differences between flight practices and planes, or should i abandon that and just go with an universal type on the Caucasus arena?

Best wishes "Hookit"

Edited by Thor_H

Hi Zeagle and Thor,

please take a look at our project OpenFlightSchool.de

It is a free virtual flight school we try to establish.

The project started in german, but we have some people translating the content to english.

It is based on a eLearning platform, but we want to hold practical sessions the same way you do it already.

I would like to work together. You are both invited to join our discord and maybe we can meet at our Team Speak server. You find more informations at the link in my sigature.

Please feel free to contact me for any questions or discussions.

~S~

kal

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

I think it's a great idea.

I'd at least think about running two classes, one for the basics as you describe, just like in r/l. Pound the pattern, practice stalls until you puke. Oops you lost your engine. That kind of stuff.

I don't know that startup and navigation would lend itself well to your format. For startup, it's hard to beat the in-game hand-over-hand tutorials, and navigation just isn't a big issue in DCS and you'd need real time telemetry anyway.

I'd go straight from pounding the pattern to military style training: maneuvers, formation flying and joins.

I wouldn't teach a Western and Eastern class, we are all on the same side here in DCS. Integrate whatever suits your purposes, for example I'd think strongly about this https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/local/docs/pat-pubs/P-1213.pdf, the CNATRA pubs seem to be followed by a lot of people even if they aren't focused on US Navy operations

Basics will save people a lot of time. But, seems to me, I think the two biggest issues for people once they start flying is stalls and joins. Lots of ground kills in this game, lots of thrashing around trying to figure out where your wingman is

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 2 months later...
Hi Zeagle and Thor,

please take a look at our project OpenFlightSchool.de

It is a free virtual flight school we try to establish.

The project started in german, but we have some people translating the content to english.

It is based on a eLearning platform, but we want to hold practical sessions the same way you do it already.

I would like to work together. You are both invited to join our discord and maybe we can meet at our Team Speak server. You find more informations at the link in my sigature.

Please feel free to contact me for any questions or discussions.

~S~

kal

Thank you for the invitation, Discord joined.

• 2 months later...

The dream is still alive!

Looking for likemeinded folks with an interest in Soviet era flying, planes and flight training.

Still in the research process of setting up the right training regimes and still loooking for anyone interested in becoming either instructors or students.

Privately server up almost every day with peak hours between 1900 - 2300 hours UTC.

Have a nice weekend comrades!

Edited by Thor_H