[REPORTED] Performance Issues

Minsky

It got even worse for me, doing a landing in VR and the FPS just drops to below being playable the moment the carrier's wake becomes visible. I did not had that problem before the update.

Well, I have noticed a small performance decrease (1-3 fps) after this hotfix. But it was a quick test, so I decided not to mention this.

Dima | My DCS uploads

No major performance boost here, turning shadows to flat is the only thing that gives me a noticeable boost in fps.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Yeah, performance is maybe slightly better but those frame drops regarding the isle/antenna are still persistent.

Since no one answered my question in the mods forum, I will ask it again:

Is there anybody out there with the knowledge to mod the Supercarrier in that way to just change the antenna model to a different one?

Or can someone guide me in the right direction how someone would achieve this goal? Like knowledge needed and the skills I should have...

Cheers

Hi folks,

I haven't posted for a long time.My solution to the super carrier performance has been to set the 1060 nvidia controller to highest quality on the first dialogue box where you choose to allow the dcs settings or the nvidia controller to set the performance parameters, then let nvidia control settings.

Then I went to advanced settings and capped framerate to 30. This allows additional gpu resources for quality.

I know there is great debate about the human eye and FPS, but the in game stutters and freezes have gone and the game is smooth as silk.

Sitting on the deck of supercarrier with shadows on gives a smooth 30fps. Prior to supercarrier I was getting 45-60 fps and I can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Maybe it's because I am too old now. :pilotfly:

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

You know what's funny?

If I open SC in the ModelViewer, I see no performance hit at all - constant 62 fps*, no spikes, GPU usage is barely at 30%. With all shadows enabled, and animations playing non-stop.

*ModelViewer is probably capped at ~60 fps. Never saw more than that even with the simplest model loaded.

UlRNyw2.png

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

Is there anybody out there with the knowledge to mod the Supercarrier in that way to just change the antenna model to a different one?

I think you're barking on the wrong tree mate.

But you can try swapping the most detailed model to a less detailed.

Open "(main DCS folder)\CoreMods\tech\USS_Nimitz\Shapes\Nimitz_CVN_71.lods" and change it like this:

model = {
lods = {
{"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",300.000000},
       {"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",1000.000000},
       {"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",3000.000000},
       {"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",15000.000000},
       {"Nimitz_CVN_71_75_LOD_4.edm",50000.000000},
};
collision_shell = "Nimitz_CVN_71_Collision.edm";
}

ksaFEh2.png

Dima | My DCS uploads

I think you're barking on the wrong tree mate.

But you can try swapping the most detailed model to a less detailed.

Open "(main DCS folder)\CoreMods\tech\USS_Nimitz\Shapes\Nimitz_CVN_71.lods" and change it like this:

model = {    lods = {    {"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",300.000000},        {"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",1000.000000},        {"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",3000.000000},        {"Nimitz_CVN_71_LOD_3.edm",15000.000000},        {"Nimitz_CVN_71_75_LOD_4.edm",50000.000000},    };    collision_shell = "Nimitz_CVN_71_Collision.edm";}

ksaFEh2.png

Oh man! Thanks for this tip. I will test it immediately and will report back!

Cheers:pilotfly:

With the simplified SC model (no ropes, antennas and other small details, so shadows are a lot less complex) I see no performance gain at all.

I'm out of ideas.

2PPu0WA.png

Affirm! It gave me a good 20% boost in FPS but...yeah it just looks like s**t and those details are what makes this model so nice.

Even if you put the LOD of 1 into the LOD Settings of the first one in the file, it does cast the shadows diferently and with way less detail in the shadows. But the performance boost is negligeble. I would go so far to say there is none gain at all which makes me very very curious about this whole situation.

I'm gonna test this whole thing today in VR (regarding the LOD I would only go as far as 1 in VR to see if it makes any difference at least in VR).

I'll report back later today.

Cheers :pilotfly:

Just for comparison, here is the different LOD settings:

First is normal settings (0 in the first line).

The second one is with a LOD of 1 (put in the filename - where the "0" is).

You can see the difference in details down left on the antenna, on the big square shaped antenna on top of the island and pay attention to the shadow (shadow is on the right side of the island) which is casted by the rotating antenna on the right side.

EDIT: The shadows are weird. It seems like they are more detailed with the less LOD setting or maybe it is just the different angles of the antenna casting shadows (when turning) - you can see it in the pictures!

The FPS is a little bit blurry since it is just 1920*1080. But as you can maybe make out, the difference isn't really there (both are between 90-115; fluctuating due to the planes etc. on board - but nonetheless no gain in FPS at all with this change of LOD)

20200528053800_1.thumb.jpg.da7f723669e345a932a7ce53e94d3b45.jpg

20200528053603_1.thumb.jpg.cdf128dfa69cc264782dc554b02bd3b0.jpg

Edited by squirrelmeister
Clarification

You know what's funny?

If I open SC in the ModelViewer, I see no performance hit at all - constant 62 fps*, no spikes, GPU usage is barely at 30%. With all shadows enabled, and animations playing non-stop.

*ModelViewer is probably capped at ~60 fps. Never saw more than that even with the simplest model loaded.

UlRNyw2.png

I think you're onto something there! What, I have no idea. But it would seem there is nothing wrong with the extra texture details and the rotation and detail of the radar dish

Edited by bad_turbulence

The AI seems to be a big performance hog as well. When I trapped, parked, and was going through my shutdown list my frames were pretty good, then when I looked up to see a 4-ship of AI in the break at 800' my frames suddenly went to hell. Then as they disappeared in the distance my frames came back again.

The AI seems to be a big performance hog as well. When I trapped, parked, and was going through my shutdown list my frames were pretty good, then when I looked up to see a 4-ship of AI in the break at 800' my frames suddenly went to hell. Then as they disappeared in the distance my frames came back again.

The AI has always been a significant factor. It makes sense that AI assets would cause performance drops on one level or another. The issue we are trying to get to the bottom of here is why the Supercarrier itself (separate from any other AI or static objects) has such a massive performance impact.

wouldn't ai spike the CPU? not the GPU, unless the are leveraging the GPU for AI logic, doesn't seem likely ? (possible in theory but then ED would have to commit to a card manufacturer which doesn't seem like an approach the would take)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

wouldn't ai spike the CPU? not the GPU, unless the are leveraging the GPU for AI logic, doesn't seem likely ? (possible in theory but then ED would have to commit to a card manufacturer which doesn't seem like an approach the would take)

I don't know if "spike" is the word I would go for. My point was that AI planes (especially those with high detail models like the F-14 and the like) will have a impact on performance if they are near enough. Likewise, the AI itself (regardless of the quality of the model/textures used) will obviously impact CPU performance.

My larger point overall is that AI aircraft are not really the issue being discussed in this specific thread. We have always known that AI impacts performance to varying degrees. What we are trying to figure out is why the Supercarrier on its own is impacting performance in such a extreme manner.

My point is still that it is gpu’s that are being hammered not cpu times... fwiw,if you do the cold start mission, when the aircraft on cat 2 launches there is a massive GPU spike lasts about 10 seconds or so as the engines are spooling up to take off... the gpu spike hits even if you are not directly looking at it, you get a smaller hit from the aircraft on cat 1 when iit launches... if i didn’t know better I would think it was the sound that was causing the issue... but I can’t see why sound would hit the gpu...unless someone was optimising for RTX.

THe high density of high resolution aircraft should be easy to check and see, though, just put yourself on the deck, with and without shadows and see if it makes any difference in game by adding aircraft...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

My point is still that it is gpu’s that are being hammered not cpu times... fwiw,if you do the cold start mission, when the aircraft on cat 2 launches there is a massive GPU spike lasts about 10 seconds or so as the engines are spooling up to take off... the gpu spike hits even if you are not directly looking at it, you get a smaller hit from the aircraft on cat 1 when iit launches... if i didn’t know better I would think it was the sound that was causing the issue... but I can’t see why sound would hit the gpu...unless someone was optimising for RTX.

THe high density of high resolution aircraft should be easy to check and see, though, just put yourself on the deck, with and without shadows and see if it makes any difference in game by adding aircraft...

What would sound have to do with RTX?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It can be used to clean up voice calls.., it’s thin, but I can’t see (no pun intended) why spooling up engines would have such an impact if you aren’t looking at them... maybe heat blur is being modelled... but I don’t see the same hit on cat 3 4 lauhnches, it’s proximity based which makes me think sound...

Hi folks,

I haven't posted for a long time.My solution to the super carrier performance has been to set the 1060 nvidia controller to highest quality on the first dialogue box where you choose to allow the dcs settings or the nvidia controller to set the performance parameters, then let nvidia control settings.

Then I went to advanced settings and capped framerate to 30. This allows additional gpu resources for quality.

I know there is great debate about the human eye and FPS, but the in game stutters and freezes have gone and the game is smooth as silk.

Sitting on the deck of supercarrier with shadows on gives a smooth 30fps. Prior to supercarrier I was getting 45-60 fps and I can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Maybe it's because I am too old now. :pilotfly:

Can you be more specific? Do you mean the Nvidia Control Panel? There is a lot of different 3D options there. Which one did you change? Where do you go to "advanced settings"?

Just one thing to add from my side...actually two things.

So I tried it yesterday in VR. It is very much different when you are on the Supercarrier or on an airfield. Which makes sense, at least a little bit.

But nothing new came up just that my frametimes are just bad in general haha.

@speed-of-heat: you say these problems are especially on cat 1 and 2, right?

Maybe this is something because I made a mission the other day on the Supercarrier where I did something which lead to queueing on the deck or in the hangar I should say. I got massive and I mean massive framedrops in that instance - from like 60 to 10-20. And the strange thing was or still is: It doesn't matter if you yourself were in queue or an AI. And what is even more strange, with everyone (all AI and myself) on deck...yeah you guessed it: no framedrops at all or just the usual "Supercarrier-Frames-Of-Death". I should test this again after the recent little patch which seems to do nothing, maybe this one got sorted out. And I think someone else posted that particular bug already.

Until later. Gotta get my nuts now!

Cheers

I let go of the track files and it is similar to another problem:https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=265097

Edit:

I did a simple test, limitations of smoke eliminates 90% frame drops on the Supercarrier.

x:\Xxx\DCS World 2.5\Config\Effects\ParticleSystem2\ExhaustTrailAir.Lua

ParticlesLimit = 0,

LODdistance = 0,

SpinDir = 0,

Edited by petsild

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Just a question: Did anyone of you tried the new stable version? And should we stick with open beta or should we change to the stable version? I know that the versions are the same now and only one plane doesn't go with the stable version. Just curious if it would be better to wait til june the third as the dev team mentioned there is the next update for beta.

Hmm, I am a little bit overwhelmed what I should do and what I shouldn't do.

EDIT: The plane-thing was wrong. I thought I read something but turned out there wasn't anything about a plane...sorry o.O

Edited by squirrelmeister

Just a question: Did anyone of you tried the new stable version? And should we stick with open beta or should we change to the stable version? I know that the versions are the same now and only one plane doesn't go with the stable version. Just curious if it would be better to wait til june the third as the dev team mentioned there is the next update for beta.

Hmm, I am a little bit overwhelmed what I should do and what I shouldn't do.

The Stable and Beta are the same! what is this plane you mention?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The Stable and Beta are the same! what is this plane you mention?

:huh: I could swear I read something. But as I read to all stuff I read earlier, I can't find it anymore...:helpsmilie: so gonna edit it.

I'm curious, could be because it's friday:joystick::pilotfly: