Ryzen build (half) - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 03:54 AM   #21
Cpt. Oscar Mike

Stumbled across a YT channel a few weeks ago which has no commentary, daily postings presenting straight forward benchmark comparisons of seemingly any & all components- combinations, options w lot of focus recently on the new AMD CPU-GPUs, Nvidia new products & Intel's existing options-I am going to suggest they do something using DCS...I have no clue if is one person or group of people but regardless the channel name is "TESTING GAMES".

I read earlier today an article on Tom's Hardware that the new AMD CPUs will be compatible with existing, older Mobos as they stated a while back (said until 2020) However, I was not clear about what was meant or what referring to when wrote ~ if use/have "a lot of things" to plug into the MOBO (particularly external devices) one should focus on the HEDT platform MOBOs... I can find a link and provide if needed. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cpt. Oscar Mike; 07-11-2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: not sure if is being posted as a reply as intended
Cpt. Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #22
DeltaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurs View Post
OK thanks guys. I know the 3600 (non x) is close to the 3700x but what's the fps difference between the 3600x and 3700x?

Also DeltaMike, how does your current cpu and gpu handle dcs? How does it run in mp and with vr if you don't mind me asking?
Runs weirdly well. My CPU render times are in the low 9's on an empty map, but in the mid 20's with stutters at busy airfields. So I have enough wiggle room to dogfight and blow things up. That's with medium shadows, medium vis range. No grass or citv traffic. GPU render times pegged at 22 with no msaa and 1.2 PD. Seems to be in the same ballpark as my buddies' 1080's and 1070ti's. And the price was right -- free (it was my old mining card, paid for itself and then some)

That's with a Rift, expect Rift S would be about the same. Few more pixels but render times get pushed out to 25ms so it should wind up being close. Wouldn't want to drive more pixels than that.

The 2600 wasn't much of an upgrade over my old 1700, which I was able to overclock. Shoulda just kept the 1700 in there while I was waiting for Gen3. Which probably won't make a ton of difference for me right this minute as I'm GPU limited. May buy it anyway, cuz I haven't bought anything in like two weeks. If I do, it'll be an X cuz I have no faith it'll overclock in any meaningful fashion (meaning, higher than the single core burst speed). Guess I wouldn't mind getting rid of those last few stutters. Could turn shadows off I guess but I like em.

With DCS you're looking for single core performance, buy the big chips if you need the cores for other applications
Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #23
thurs

Thanks for those results Pappen think I'll save some money and get the 3600! Thanks guys.

Also smokey, one of the Msi mb (b450 tomahawk) has bios flashback, it has a button on the back and a USB slot to load the bios into. You can update the bios without having a cpu, ram or gpu installed! Pretty cool feature.
thurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #24
thurs

Thanks for those results DeltaMike quite impressive. Vega cards seem to do well with higher resolutions whilst the other amd and nvidia cards are better for 1080p it seems.
thurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #25
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurs View Post
Thanks for those results Pappen think I'll save some money and get the 3600! Thanks guys.

Also smokey, one of the Msi mb (b450 tomahawk) has bios flashback, it has a button on the back and a USB slot to load the bios into. You can update the bios without having a cpu, ram or gpu installed! Pretty cool feature.
Thanks ! Did more research last night and found several MSI boards and the Asus Crosshair series have this feature . Very nice . Have edited my original post .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #26
CYLON

I was looking at the 3900x for a possible build but I can't seem to find any compatible motherboards that have at least 9 usb ports, like there is for Intel chips. Is there any compatible motherboards that have that many ports?

I also don't like how the X570 boards have a fan on them. Fans are a traditional reliability issue because they are almost guaranteed to fail after a few years, so I have a lot of questions about the longevity of those boards. I've seen a lot of videos about poor fan position causing high temps on some boards and complaints about how loud the fans are.

I really don't like how the previous boards (X470, B450, etc) don't have bios compatibility with Ryzen 3000 out of the box. Having to flash the bios before installing the cpu is a major annoyance. When you're spending 700 to 1000$ on a cpu/motherboard combo, it should just work. I shouldn't need to download a bios and flash it myself or take it to a professional and receive it in working order days or weeks laters.

It's like they are trying to do everything to NOT get me as a customer, even though I want to be lol.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #27
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLON View Post
I was looking at the 3900x for a possible build but I can't seem to find any compatible motherboards that have at least 9 usb ports, like there is for Intel chips. Is there any compatible motherboards that have that many ports?

I also don't like how the X570 boards have a fan on them. Fans are a traditional reliability issue because they are almost guaranteed to fail after a few years, so I have a lot of questions about the longevity of those boards. I've seen a lot of videos about poor fan position causing high temps on some boards and complaints about how loud the fans are.

I really don't like how the previous boards (X470, B450, etc) don't have bios compatibility with Ryzen 3000 out of the box. Having to flash the bios before installing the cpu is a major annoyance. When you're spending 700 to 1000$ on a cpu/motherboard combo, it should just work. I shouldn't need to download a bios and flash it myself or take it to a professional and receive it in working order days or weeks laters.

It's like they are trying to do everything to NOT get me as a customer, even though I want to be lol.
You could either route the front panel conns to the back and thus get more USB back there, or add a USB card.

This is not a show stopper, just a minor build challange imho.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3000/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #28
etherbattx

what’s the cost of the MB fan?
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 AM   #29
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLON View Post

Flashing the MSI boards is very easy . Essentially , download and extract to usb , rename usb file to msi.rom , plug usb into indicated mb port (after hooking up atx & cpu power cables) and push a button . The updated bios is in the old-style text format to save space , but fully functional .
MSI is also bringing b450 and x470 boards with a larger bios-capacity chip to allow the more modern bios gui . The board names are suffixed "MAX" . I have not found them on the market yet .

"Hold my beer"

Last edited by Svsmokey; 07-12-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #30
CYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherbattx View Post
what’s the cost of the MB fan?
It's not the cost of the fan that's the issue. The issue is these new Ryzen 3000 CPU's run hot out of the box and overclocking typically causes CPU temps to run even hotter. When that fan on the motherboard fails in that scenario, it could cause the temps to rise to the point of damaging your components.... that's the issue.

I recently had to go through something similar actually. I was running an overclocked 6800k and my AIO failed and took out my motherboard, CPU and RAM due to the excessive amount of heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
Flashing the MSI boards is very easy . Essentially , download and extract to usb , rename usb file to msi.rom , plug usb into indicated mb port (after hooking up atx & cpu power cables) and push a button . The updated bios is in the old-style text format to save space , but fully functional .
MSI is also bringing b450 and x470 boards with a larger bios-capacity chip to allow the more modern bios gui . The board names are suffixed "MAX" . I have not found them on the market yet .
Thank you for that information!

Tags
build, motherboard, pc advice