Ryzen build (half) - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #31
Yeti42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMike View Post
It's not possible to have too much CPU for dcs. I have my eye on the ryzen 5 3600x, bursts to 4.4 GHz (with a 10% increase in instructions per cycle over gen2) and feel that's well worth the price for dcs. I'd rather have that than more cores or a fancy mobo

Zen2 can't really handle more than 3600mhz ram very well

Whichever Mobo you pick, I'd go to the manufacturer website for ram known to run at rated speed. Maybe the newer boards aren't as picky but still
Whaaaat, whilst I agree generally that more CPU is better than less CPU, with DCS (if that's the only thing you care about) It's mainly single-core speed you should look for. Playing DCS on my i5 9600k running at 5Ghz maxes out at 40% I'd say I've got too much CPU (or to be precise, the RTX 2080 I have is the limiting factor on frame rates not the CPU. My old i5 4670k was running at 4.5Ghz permanently...! so a 4.5 boost speed for ryzen is nothing really to boast about when compared to Intel boost speeds or overclocking capabilities. That coupled with Ryzen's apparent dependence on compatible memory and the relatively low speeds of that memory would say to me not to bother with Ryzen for DCS as it doesn't add much value, if any.

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4
Yeti42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #32
Milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurs View Post
Hi guys. After waiting for the new AMD stuff to I've decided I want to upgrade from my struggling i5-4690k. I'm interested in the 3700x but haven't been keeping up with the tech stuff and want to know if I should get a X470 or X570? Would you guys be able to give me a half build (keeping psu, gpu, ssd, case etc just need need cpu, mb and ram) based on my requirements:

R7-3700X which I will keep stock so no intention to oc

No interest in pci-4

16gb ram not sure what speed

At least 8 USB ports

Also will a 620w evga gold psu be able to handle gtx 1060 6gb and all this new stuff?

Mainly getting it for fps games and il2 and Dcs.

Thanks in advance.
Go 3700X with a X470 given your USB requirement. (B450 motherboard is ruled out by your USB port requirement unless you use an add in card / hub). Memory go for 3600 CL16 2x16GB if I were you. PSU go 750-850W if I were you... just to future proof yourself if you every want to upgrade to a more power hungry GPU. But for the setup you have there 620W will cut it okay.
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). T/M Warthog Throttle and grip, Virpil WarBRD base and WarBRD grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #33
Strong05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti42 View Post
Whaaaat, whilst I agree generally that more CPU is better than less CPU, with DCS (if that's the only thing you care about) It's mainly single-core speed you should look for. Playing DCS on my i5 9600k running at 5Ghz maxes out at 40% I'd say I've got too much CPU (or to be precise, the RTX 2080 I have is the limiting factor on frame rates not the CPU. My old i5 4670k was running at 4.5Ghz permanently...! so a 4.5 boost speed for ryzen is nothing really to boast about when compared to Intel boost speeds or overclocking capabilities. That coupled with Ryzen's apparent dependence on compatible memory and the relatively low speeds of that memory would say to me not to bother with Ryzen for DCS as it doesn't add much value, if any.
Currently you are correct that DCS is very clock sensitive. However what you are not considering is how many instructions per clock cycle (IPC) that a CPU can do. This is an important factor and why many times a CPU can complete a task much faster at the same clock speed as an older cpu. The new Ryzen cpu's complete more IPC's then the current Intel CPU's. What I'd like to see is if it's enough to overcome their clock deficit (compared to intel) with DCS.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #34
DeltaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti42 View Post
It's mainly single-core speed you should look for. Playing DCS on my i5 9600k running at 5Ghz maxes out at 40% I'd say I've got too much CPU (or to be precise, the RTX 2080 I have is the limiting factor on frame rates not the CPU. My old i5 4670k was running at 4.5Ghz permanently...! so a 4.5 boost speed for ryzen is nothing really to boast about when compared to Intel boost speeds or overclocking capabilities. That coupled with Ryzen's apparent dependence on compatible memory and the relatively low speeds of that memory would say to me not to bother with Ryzen for DCS as it doesn't add much value, if any.
Yeah, should have clarified dcs can't use more than 2 cores yet, but worth mentioning there's talk that the bigger ryzen3 cpu's overclock better (eg at lower voltage) if that's what you're into. Between that and the IPC it's not bad. I don't think it's any better than intel, but ya know if you can get close with a $250 CPU, a $100 mobo and $200 of RAM, well... what's the marginal benefit? and what's the marginal cost? that's AMD's business model in a nutshell and I gotta give em credit

You make a valid point, question is, what's enough? In VR at least i've noticed a lot of variability in CPU render times, it really depends on what's going on in the map. Flying solo over the caucasus is a lot different from spawning in GAW during prime time lol I'm not sure what it would take to cram that through a single core. But it sure is fun to try
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #35
etherbattx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMike View Post
Yeah, should have clarified dcs can't use more than 2 cores yet
maybe at one point this was the case, but i don’t think this is true anymore

there have been multiple posts here that show DCS uses a bunch of execution threads and each of those threads can be assigned to separate cpu cores (unless limited by process lasso, or some other utility).
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #36
Svsmokey

But one should point out that ED has made no official statement to this effect , and that the last , only a few weeks ago , re-iterated 2 cores . One wonders though , if perhaps those multi-core posters are seeing early Vulkan tests short of full implementation . Certainly performance seems up marginally , and something seems to have changed with Voiceattack , which now seems to cause stuttering issues on my system .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #37
Strong05

You can literally go into task manager and disable all but 2 cores and see no degradation in DCS FPS/performance. Kill it down to 1 core and the sound stops working properly. My understanding that the appearance of DCS using more then 2 cores is a windows thing, not a DCS change.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #38
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong05 View Post
You can literally go into task manager and disable all but 2 cores and see no degradation in DCS FPS/performance. Kill it down to 1 core and the sound stops working properly. My understanding that the appearance of DCS using more then 2 cores is a windows thing, not a DCS change.
IIRC this has been shown to be a false statement.

Need to dig the forum to show you those tests made by others
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3000/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #39
etherbattx

Quote:
You can literally go into task manager and disable all but 2 cores and see no degradation in DCS FPS/performance. Kill it down to 1 core and the sound stops working properly.
this is not a valid test.

if you limit the number of cores available, the operating system will just reschedule the work to the available resources. it’s exactly what an operating systems job is, to manage resources!

you test does not prove that dcs does not use more than one core.

what your test proves, is that your one cpu core is not fast enough to do all the things dcs needs to do before the sound buffer runs dry.

thats completely different.
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #40
blkspade

Quote:
The principle reason your statement is not accurate, is that DCS is very multithreaded in IO operations. So while the general simulation and audio are not as much, the process of loading assets into memory loads way more than 2 cores. Its very noticeable when panning or rotating the view as you'll see many cores suddenly get loaded up. People have demonstrated real performance differences as a result going above 2 cores.

Tags
build, motherboard, pc advice