Ryzen build (half) - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
thurs

Default Ryzen build (half)

Hi guys. After waiting for the new AMD stuff to I've decided I want to upgrade from my struggling i5-4690k. I'm interested in the 3700x but haven't been keeping up with the tech stuff and want to know if I should get a X470 or X570? Would you guys be able to give me a half build (keeping psu, gpu, ssd, case etc just need need cpu, mb and ram) based on my requirements:

R7-3700X which I will keep stock so no intention to oc

No interest in pci-4

16gb ram not sure what speed

At least 8 USB ports

Also will a 620w evga gold psu be able to handle gtx 1060 6gb and all this new stuff?

Mainly getting it for fps games and il2 and Dcs.

Thanks in advance.
thurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Svsmokey

I'm reading 3600 mhz is the sweet spot for Ryzen memory . Your power supply is fine . X470 is fine with no interest in pci-4 . Bios will prolly need to be re-flashed , but a bios usb connection and external reflash button makes that very easy .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Katj

How can you tell that your CPU is struggling?

I have a gtx 1060 6 gb and a 4670, which is a slightly worse CPU than yours, and I think my CPU is probably good for another upgrade of the GPU. At least I wouldn't upgrade the CPU without upgrading GPU, that's for sure.
Katj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Oceandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katj View Post
How can you tell that your CPU is struggling?

I have a gtx 1060 6 gb and a 4670, which is a slightly worse CPU than yours, and I think my CPU is probably good for another upgrade of the GPU. At least I wouldn't upgrade the CPU without upgrading GPU, that's for sure.
I agree. I have same CPU as OP but with GTX 1070 and it still ok with DCS. I once was on the brink to update my CPU to Ryzen but after doing my research from various webs and ytube videos I postpone my intention.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
thurs

Ah great so performance wise the x470 will perform the same as a x570 just without the extra features? If that's the case I'll go with a x470 then.

DCS isn't the only game I play, but most of them show my cpu very close to 100% most of the time. Tbh it could be my motherboard it's been glitch and broken for a while but I don't see the point in buying a new older motherboard and older cpu. I may as well get something newer.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Katj

Well, I suppose it depends on how you use your stuff. If you play FPS games and want high refresh rates at "lowish" graphics settings, then I suppose that you might benefit from a faster CPU.

If I were you I would consider getting a 3600x and save some money for your next graphics card upgrade. But you know best if you will use those extra cores.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
DeltaMike

It's not possible to have too much CPU for dcs. I have my eye on the ryzen 5 3600x, bursts to 4.4 GHz (with a 10% increase in instructions per cycle over gen2) and feel that's well worth the price for dcs. I'd rather have that than more cores or a fancy mobo

Zen2 can't really handle more than 3600mhz ram very well

Whichever Mobo you pick, I'd go to the manufacturer website for ram known to run at rated speed. Maybe the newer boards aren't as picky but still
Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
thurs

OK thanks guys. I know the 3600 (non x) is close to the 3700x but what's the fps difference between the 3600x and 3700x?

Also DeltaMike, how does your current cpu and gpu handle dcs? How does it run in mp and with vr if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Katj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurs View Post
OK thanks guys. I know the 3600 (non x) is close to the 3700x but what's the fps difference between the 3600x and 3700x?

I wouldn't expect much if any increase in fps in DCS because of how poorly it utilizes many cores. In the future, maybe. But that's a big maybe. I would expect 6 cores to be plenty for the life of the motherboard.

Some games may benefit from the extra cores right now, but you have to ask yourself how much you want to spend and on what. If you currently use a gtx 1060, that indicates to me that your budget isn't unlimited. So my suggestion to you is spend less on CPU and more on GPU. 3600 (without X) might be best value.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #10
DeltaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurs View Post

Also DeltaMike, how does your current cpu and gpu handle dcs? How does it run in mp and with vr if you don't mind me asking?
Runs weirdly well. My CPU render times are in the low 9's on an empty map, but in the mid 20's with stutters at busy airfields. So I have enough wiggle room to dogfight and blow things up. That's with medium shadows, medium vis range. No grass or citv traffic. GPU render times pegged at 22 with no msaa and 1.2 PD. Seems to be in the same ballpark as my buddies' 1080's and 1070ti's. And the price was right -- free (it was my old mining card, paid for itself and then some)

That's with a Rift, expect Rift S would be about the same. Few more pixels but render times get pushed out to 25ms so it should wind up being close. Wouldn't want to drive more pixels than that.

The 2600 wasn't much of an upgrade over my old 1700, which I was able to overclock. Shoulda just kept the 1700 in there while I was waiting for Gen3. Which probably won't make a ton of difference for me right this minute as I'm GPU limited. May buy it anyway, cuz I haven't bought anything in like two weeks. If I do, it'll be an X cuz I have no faith it'll overclock in any meaningful fashion (meaning, higher than the single core burst speed). Guess I wouldn't mind getting rid of those last few stutters. Could turn shadows off I guess but I like em.

With DCS you're looking for single core performance, buy the big chips if you need the cores for other applications

Tags
build, motherboard, pc advice