Trying to understand panel construction

JCook

Hi what do you mean by Beveled? the back plates are cut perpendicular to the face of the plate. There is not a half Dzus spacing. looks like your dealing with to much SWAG scientific wild ass guess.

The O2 panel looks to be where your problem starts if we search on Google for a CRU-68 we get set to the manufacture site the first spec sheet i found is for the CRU-73 outside Max dimensions are 5.75 by 3 INCHES (your working on soft ware use inches for your lay out) now if you refer to a couple of mil specs. First Mil-F-25173-A your rail is .242 inch holes laid out in line on 0.375 inch centers( yes this is 3/8 of an inch . The panel should refer to Mil spec MS=25212C the Dzus holes should be located 0.562 down from the top of the panel and 0.192 in from each side with a measurement of 5.365 inch between the holes. add it up and you actually get 5.749 inch so there is a +/- area here. The next hole for a Dzus stud will be on a multiple of 0.375 from the first depending on the size of the panel it will not be the 0.562 from the bottom of the panel the panel should be up to 0.015 short of the total length of the pane to establish a gap between panels.

Edited by Deadman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

what do you mean by Beveled? The back plates are cut perpendicular to the face of the plate. There is not a half Dzus spacing. looks like your dealing with to much SWAG scientific wild ass guess.

Well, i never brag about my scientific understanding anymore than i doubt my powers of observation:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174697&d=1513877110

My problem wasn't with the measurements of the panels (i can model to 0,000001" precision in Sketchup if i have to), it was with the fastening-rings in the game's 3D-model not adhering to the constant distances, as i showed in my blender-screencapture of my previous post:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174652&d=1513804835

Belsimtek's modellers must have taken some liberties then.

BevelsAndCorners.thumb.jpg.e68b63abc34b9ec5fa8e65ccf6d5489b.jpg

Edited by rubylight

Just FYI, Belsimtek did not make the A-10C (they did not even exist at that time).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I know, i was running into this problem building my F-5 plans.

The oxygen-panel for the A-10 Deadman mentioned is indeed 3" high (or 8 Dzus rows), while the F-5's is a bit higher with 10 rows, making it 3,75".

I see. DM is our resident expert on the A-10C cockpit so assumed that is what was being discussed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Those corners do not have bevels they are rounded a bevel would look like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevel

so the side of the back plate would have an angel cut off the face of the plate. basically making an edge on the side of the panel.

Your screen capture was not label so I was not sure what was your work and what was possibly SWAGed by some one else. have you measured the distance between the Dzus on the O2 panel ?

Do you happen to have the Model # of this larger O2 panel or a reference or is this just a scientific observation by you? I have not seen any real panel for an O2 regulator that size. all of my reference material has all Modern From the 70s O2 panel at 3 inches

Well, i never brag about my scientific understanding anymore than i doubt my powers of observation:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174697&d=1513877110

My problem wasn't with the measurements of the panels (i can model to 0,000001" precision in Sketchup if i have to), it was with the fastening-rings in the game's 3D-model not adhering to the constant distances, as i showed in my blender-screencapture of my previous post:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174652&d=1513804835

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Lost in translation; in Blender the rounding of a model's edges is called 'beveling' (plitting a straight edge to more polygons, making it indeed more rounded).

And i stand corrected on the 3"; i re-imported both the A-10 and F5 cockpits from their .edm-files, deleted everything but both their O2 panels, and indeed - as Deadman predicted - they are the same size; almost to the vertex. In my earlier 3D-screengrab i counted the fasteners too close together. Mea Culpa...:worthy:

However if i try to match the models with the numbers, i still run into the same inconsistencies. Importing the .edm-files into sketchup i see the small difference emerging. I could of course scale and warp the imported panel to match the 5,75" x 3" inch, but then the gauge hole etc. become scewered. :wallbash:

Building one from scratch in Sketchup according to deadman's numbers it fits like a glove - if only the gamefiles were that co-operative...

FrustrationIsReal.thumb.jpg.bdbe8cb1efb1d39dce0bd993e905275f.jpg

SketchupNotMatching.thumb.jpg.c4932687e639fae58ccddafad52777a6.jpg

FitsLikeAGlove.thumb.jpg.ac9dffb986106f42f81369825c3cee5a.jpg

Edited by rubylight

Owk, to double check if i wasn't really losing my mind, or making errors, i also compared the placement of rings in the imported model.

I made a plane matching their O2-panel's edges (and the warning panel, since it's the same size), divided by 8... and noticed how their dzus rings are placed half their width from where they should be, according to the mil-specs deadman provided. (thàt is why i wrongfully figured 'ow-then-there-must-be-a-thing-like-half-dzus-measurements' earlier.)

Again, if other parts of the model were scewered or warped i would've blamed it on the importing, but they're not; gauges and knobs are perfectly round and symetrical, and straight corners are indeed straight at 90°.

:suspect:

IncorrectModelDzus.thumb.jpg.eb35617ea1fc9232a2bd33303ae9cf9c.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 12/21/2017 at 6:55 PM, rubylight said:

I've just ported the 3d-cockpitmodel into blender to double check.

The deviations happens a little bit as well, though not as much as with the F5.

I guess it's a moddeling-thing... :joystick:

A-10DzusDeviation.thumb.jpg.a7ab0a47e3658e8c42b75ba1624de738.jpg

How exactly did you do this?

• 2 weeks later...