The little Story of WELD's COCKPIT

Weltensegler

I will! So far not much has happened except that I went from 3 times 55" to 1 times 55" curved 4K because the peripheral view was not worth the performance and the stretching from the planar mapping the game does.

But I finally bought a CNCrouter and the plan is now to convert all the touchscreen setup into a F18-only toggle switch panel setup. Still have to learn that auduino stuff for that but there is plenty of panes to build before I have to bother with wiring and software.

At the moment my life is just too busy to make good progress on it.

When I do have some time after work then private video stuff, DCS flying, IRL flying and wife want a bit of that too so this is gonna be a loong time project :)

But I will post here as soon as I have something close to worth showing.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

How are you liking a single large 55" curved screen? what screen is it? any recommendations? I'm currently on a 27" 1440p, with a secondary smaller 1680x1050 21" (mainly for multitasking outside of DCS) and thinking of going to a single large screen.

my biggest problem would be the potential for input lag. I also want to stick to a single screen, only using multiple screens for multitasking purposes.

i'm holding off on VR until something like the Pimax 8k becomes "the standard" (ie at least 4k native display per eye, even if input is upscaled) with native support.

also, as for feeding oxygen to a mask; there were small compressors available for painters (fresh air respirator), or you could even use the 3 element filters from a small air compressor in a garage; though i'm not sure i'd trust that depending on your compressor. (also adds to cost if you don't already have a shop compressor)

you could also look into something we use for our "chemical defense" called AERPS -- the blower i believe is called CQU-7/P. if you get a legit one, and a legit mask, the connections should all hook up directly. the unit iself runs off batteries, and has a power adapter, but you'd likely need to build a power supply. the batteries themselves are odd, though i'm sure you could make them from rechargeable lithium cells.

System: Intel 14700k on MSi z690 DDR4 pro, Arctic Liquid Frozer II 360mm AIO, 64gb ddr4-3600mhz CL16, Gigabyte 4090
Winwing Orion2 F-15EX/F-16EX combo, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, TM Warthog (Shelved)
2x 256gb Vertex 4 SSD's, 2x 1tb Sabrent NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD's, 1x 4.0tb Silicon Power NVMe, 1x 4tb Seagate HDD
VR: Quest 3 (Current), HP Reverb G1 (Shelved)

How are you liking a single large 55" curved screen? what screen is it? any recommendations? I'm currently on a 27" 1440p, with a secondary smaller 1680x1050 21" (mainly for multitasking outside of DCS) and thinking of going to a single large screen.

my biggest problem would be the potential for input lag. I also want to stick to a single screen, only using multiple screens for multitasking purposes.

i'm holding off on VR until something like the Pimax 8k becomes "the standard" (ie at least 4k native display per eye, even if input is upscaled) with native support.

also, as for feeding oxygen to a mask; there were small compressors available for painters (fresh air respirator), or you could even use the 3 element filters from a small air compressor in a garage; though i'm not sure i'd trust that depending on your compressor. (also adds to cost if you don't already have a shop compressor)

you could also look into something we use for our "chemical defense" called AERPS -- the blower i believe is called CQU-7/P. if you get a legit one, and a legit mask, the connections should all hook up directly. the unit iself runs off batteries, and has a power adapter, but you'd likely need to build a power supply. the batteries themselves are odd, though i'm sure you could make them from rechargeable lithium cells.

I still have multiple screens but for the main DCS screen I went to one. I don't feel any input lag in DCS but I don't play counter strike or such where you may notice some.

There is a very slight ghosting/motionblur if you look really closely for example at night when the stars contrast to sky but its minor and the current TVs are probably already better.

When you buy one and the TV says 120Hz for example then that usually means MAX!

In other words it can do 120Hz at 1080p but still 60Hz only in 4K.

60fps is sufficient for me and I dont get much more on full quality settings and 4K so I'm cool with it but you should know to not be disappointed if you expect more.

I share your attitude to VR.

Thanks for the compressor tips! All these options seem pretty expensive and likely noisy though.

I may just keep breathing a bit harder like so far. Still easier than breathing in a gas mask :)

Edited by Weltensegler

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274