ROK BO-105 CBS-5 KLH Progress news - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #81
Gunnars Driver

Reputation power: 0
Gunnars Driver will become famous soon enoughGunnars Driver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappie View Post
Doesn't the onboard screen have some visual indication to estimate the size of a target depending on the selected zoom preset?
I dont know the German weapon system, but(as former user of SAAB Helotow):

It most probable is the other way around, if you know the size of the target* you can estimate the distance via compapison of the target and ”distance-lines” in the optical sight. That way you could get a hint of beeing inside firing range or not. Actually, in most cases you knew you where inside firing range but to calculate if the firing window was wide enough. The must be time for the missile flight to target before target moves in behind obstacles.

*) Before firing, you need to ID the target as enemy. Most cases this means ID as for example T-72; and then you knew it was 7 meters long.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #82
Flappie

Reputation power: 3
Flappie will become famous soon enoughFlappie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnars Driver View Post
I dont know the German weapon system, but(as former user of SAAB Helotow):

It most probable is the other way around, if you know the size of the target* you can estimate the distance via compapison of the target and ”distance-lines” in the optical sight. That way you could get a hint of beeing inside firing range or not. Actually, in most cases you knew you where inside firing range but to calculate if the firing window was wide enough. The must be time for the missile flight to target before target moves in behind obstacles.

*) Before firing, you need to ID the target as enemy. Most cases this means ID as for example T-72; and then you knew it was 7 meters long.
Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to say: using the known size of a target to determine the distance. But I said it the other way around. I was thinking of setting a ruler around a target to say "this is a 7m target, tell me how far I am from it".
Flappie is offline   Reply With Quote