A10-C is it worth it ??

subseauk

Serious question guys, I have just bought the TM Warthog HOTAS unfortunately it did not arrive in time to try it with the A10-C during lockdown.

As a complete newb to DCS and VR I was wondering if it was with spending the 50 bucks on the aircraft or should I wait to see if there is updates etc?

I am particularly interested to hear if the A10-C comes with the HOTAS completely mapped to the TM Warthog or whether I would have to program all the keys in?

With regards to VR does the cockpit look good or are dials etc difficult to read etc.

Cheers for the feedback.:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Short answer: yes!

Long answer: the A10C is probably the most complete and fun module for a modern aircraft which is not in EA for DCS. It will give you lots of challenges and requires some manual studying before you'll be able to fully enjoy it but trust me it is totally worth it!

Obviously you need to like ground attack sorties as that's its main function but you can have some fun also in AA engagement.

There are plenty of amazing 3rd party campaigns which allow you to fully explore its functions and potentials but you'll need to purchase them. I would recommend 100% "The enemy within 3.0" from Baltic Dragon. Bear in mind that these campaign require a decent understanding of all a/c systems.

Included in the module there is a very fun campaign called the "Georgian hammer" and another one called "sturmovik" which are perfect for a beginner and let you explore one by one all the a/c functions. Also there are multiple training missions to learn the basic systems.

to get started I would play all the above in this general order:

- Training missions

- Sturmovik

- Georgian Hammer

- The Enemy Within 3.0

Good luck and have fun if you decide to go for it ;)

*edit: all the buttons comes mapped for the TM warthog so you'll probably only need to adjust the main axis and curves. I don't play in VR so can't answer that but regarding readability I think it depends on your VR headset. The cockpit has been redesigned and retextured recently so you can expect an HD cockpit on par with the other modern modules

Edited by Snakedoc

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Short answer: yes!

Long answer: the A10C is probably the most complete and fun module for a modern aircraft which is not in EA for DCS. It will give you lots of challenges and requires some manual studying before you'll be able to fully enjoy it but trust me it is totally worth it!

Obviously you need to like ground attack sorties as that's its main function but you can have some fun also in AA engagement.

There are plenty of amazing 3rd party campaigns which allow you to fully explore its functions and potentials but you'll need to purchase them. I would recommend 100% "The enemy within 3.0" from Baltic Dragon. Bear in mind that these campaign require a decent understanding of all a/c systems.

Included in the module there is a very fun campaign called the "Georgian hammer" and another one called "sturmovik" which are perfect for a beginner and let you explore one by one all the a/c functions. Also there are multiple training missions to learn the basic systems.

to get started I would play all the above in this general order:

- Training missions

- Sturmovik

- Georgian Hammer

- The Enemy Within 3.0

Good luck and have fun if you decide to go for it ;)

*edit: all the buttons comes mapped for the TM warthog so you'll probably only need to adjust the main axis and curves. I don't play in VR so can't answer that but regarding readability I think it depends on your VR headset. The cockpit has been redesigned and retextured recently so you can expect an HD cockpit on par with the other modern modules

Cheers for that info Alby :thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Thanks nickos

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

I fly with RAFair. I just took a new member for a training flight, he used to sim but newish to dcs.

Honestly it was great talking through the various systems, guiding him on to a target with SADL and finish with him dropping his first gbu on a bmp.

I could tell how impressed he was with the systems, how they all work so well. It made me realise what a great module the A10c really is.

Single player missions are good to get to grips with it, Baltic dragon's campaign is superb, but the A-10C really comes alive when in multiplayer, passing targets, using 3 radios, and all the other systems.

Buy it, and join a decent multiplayer squadron.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, one last possibly stupid question can the A-10C operate from super carrier? I have this module and it could affect what aircraft to go for next! Yes I know, I bought it due to blood rush to brain LoL.

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Thanks guys, one last possibly stupid question can the A-10C operate from super carrier? I have this module and it could affect what aircraft to go for next! Yes I know, I bought it due to blood rush to brain LoL.

Have you ever seen an A10C deploy and recover to any aircraft carrier?

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Have you ever seen an A10C deploy and recover to any aircraft carrier?

Thats why I asked the question,:music_whistling: I am predominantly a fling wing pilot in real life and very little SIM time in DCS!!

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

To add to all the favorable recommendations for the A-10C module, imho, the A-10C has the most interesting payware high level trainings and campaigns in dcs.

You can add those later on to get really immersive war campaigns.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I'm learning the A10C now, very in-depth. The training missions kinda suck but it's a start. Print out the manual, your gonna need it. I also have the TM Warthog HOTAS and it's all mapped out. Watch GrimReapers Tutorial vids on YouTube, absolutely great vids and they will teach you a lot.

Just an answer to your question. No, you can't operate the A-10C from a carrier or supercarrier. There are some videos of landing it on deck of a carrier in DCS, but that has nothing to do with real life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPefILaq7Fg

The A-10C has no arrestor-hook nor a suitable landing-gear for deck operations. There's no way to hook up to a catapult, so no starts from a carrier either.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Can the A10 operate from a carrier? Oh geez! Really?

But, as to the first question, is the A10C worth it? I will not dignify that with an answer.

Oh, yes, I will! After all these years, it's still one of the best modules in DCS....and I have still not gotten tired of flying the beast.

@subseauk..(& others with the same question)..here's my take on why starting with the A-10 is the right way to go. Firstly....you got the TM Warthog HOTAS, it's virtually Plug'nPlay with DCS and the A-10, why would you want to augment the native functions of the controller to fit a different aircraft?

Then there is....

* Best documentation; print it out and read it chapter by chapter; it may seem a daunting task but you will be rewarded. Use a PDF editor to markup the digital version for further reading or clarifications. Then read it again!

* Most developed & stable with the biggest community for help, guidance...no further discussion needed.

* the Gun - BRRRRRRTTTP....need I say more.........yeah....learn when NOT to use the Gun PAK

* Appreciate the details of the cold startup and get a solid understanding of how the various systems interact. Then when you rush or somehow botch it and shit goes bad later in-flight, you know how to resolve the issue. This is a key element to any of the DCS aircraft but starting with the A-10 it becomes a very satisfying because it's more complex with more steps involved...be patient....if you're not talking to yourself there's something wrong. Once you've mastered an A-10 startup, the F/A-18 and F-16 all become a simple task.

* Time to think - yes, she's slow compared to others but this gives you a lot of time to plan things out and check/double-check your shit. Flight plan & Navigation, weapons check (profiles & parms), navigation, Weapons Hot/Warm-up/Cool-down, Fence-in, Ingress, Execute, Egress, navigation, rinse & repeat.

* Ground Pounding is much more satisfying than A2A (IMO), you have to use your head, observe the environment, terrain, and force location (blue vs red) then plan your strategy. And you get to see the results of your efforts especially in relations the troops on the ground. You're going to be low & slow...enjoy it.

* Weapon selection and payload - when they say 'diversity is our strength' they were talking about an A-10 load-out :) With the number of hardpoints, different weapons available and ability to tote around that much tonnage, the Hog can bring an incredible amount of 'whoop-ass' to the fight. No other DCS modern aircraft can boast the versatility of it's potential weapons load-out and firepower. It's the big reason I incorporate an A-10 flight in every mission I build. The Hog is my go-to, Swiss Army Knife when the F/A-18s & F-16s have cleared the skies and suppressed the long-range, mid-altitude SAMs.

* Flight & Loiter time - fill'er up and fly for hours (it seems). There's no BINGO fuel alarm in this plane cuz it would be a calender. This give you more time for the sheer fun of flying. Fly, attack, loiter, attack & fly...doesn't get much better than this. And when you're running on fumes on the way home at +13,000ft, she will go for miles and let you put her down without power. Try that with any 'go fast jet'; once they're out of fuel you're flying a refrigerator.

* You get to fly it home - once you've taken damage from AAA or a missile, many times you're not bailing or dead and have to fly it home. There's a sense of satisfaction & accomplishment in understanding and working with the systems to nurse the pig home, however ugly your landing might be. Note: I've never been hit in the F/A-18 and been able to do this....it's generally game over; DEAD or Eject!

* Finally...you have FLY this plane...it's basic stick & rudder, seat of the pants flying. All of the flight control surfaces and external influences (wind/weather) are much more tangible, palpable, observable, 'feelable'...you get to learn to fly, and you get to really understand the concepts of flight, and the forces involved, as compared to her faster, high-flying, more modern siblings.

So go for it, jump in the A-10......with the HOTAS you have you can be up and flying in minutes experiencing the thrill instead of spending hours of frustration trying to map the Weapons Mode Select button to the Nuclear Consent switch on the F-16 :)

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I just jumped back to the hog after a long time without my A-10C and after 30 min flight I had so many smiles upon my face.... it's unbelievable.

Actually I was looking for a thread like "the A-10C is still the best module in DCS" to give my short, but enthusiastic "+1" but I only found this thread and say:

"YES" :thumbup:

"Still" 10 years later. The best simulation ever created of the A-10C and or a CAS aircraft bar none.

No one has come close.

It's that good (Why it was made in the first place) even the military used it for the classroom crossover training from the A-10A (old) to A-10C systems.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170812&stc=1&d=1508281208

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I just jumped back to the hog after a long time without my A-10C and after 30 min flight I had so many smiles upon my face.... it's unbelievable.

Actually I was looking for a thread like "the A-10C is still the best module in DCS" to give my short, but enthusiastic "+1" but I only found this thread and say:

"YES" :thumbup:

Indeed! It was my very first DCS module, bought almost 10 years ago and its still my favorite!

(Well, maybe besides the Viggen and F-14)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely worth it! Fantastic module and incredibly deep and satisfying to learn. Plenty of content available to purchase and the upcoming prospect of the Warthog 2 hopefully later this year.

Couple it with VR and a warthog hotas and it's my little slice of heaven right at home in the man cave.