Jammer question

lwalter

When I activate the jammer with "CMS push", the jammer starts operating.

However, it lasts only for a little while.

Is this the normal behavior? I thought it was more like a toggle switch: push once => activate jammer, push once again => deactivate jammer.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

that's how it has always been, so i guess it is intended behaviour.

I always wondered why that is. I can't see the reasoning behind this. :huh:

don't know if it is realistic, but i think it's plausible, since you absolutely don't want to forget to turn it off, when not needed.

Well, in pretty much all other aircraft this doesn't seem to be an issue :music_whistling:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

RTFM for the win

How does that answer the question why the jammer will only be active for a few seconds when activated with "CMS push"?! :huh:

If anything it even reinforces the question, because the jammer can stay active much longer when in SEMI or AUTO mode, so overheating can't be that much of an issue...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

it stays active if you are being locked by a tracking radar, once lock is broken it deactivates.

pretty clear.

Yes, but only in AUTO and SEMI modes, which is not what the question of this thread is about!

The OP asked why this isn't the case for manual operation of the jammer in MAN mode, where you have to depress CMS to activate the Jammer and it only stays active for a few seconds, no matter what.

Tornado3 small.jpg

it's the same in manual mode.

manual mode relates to the program being selected, rather than the system selecting the mode based on the tracking radar locking it up. you manually select the program and then transmit it till the lock is broken/cease then shuts down.

Action After Contemplation

it's the same in manual mode.

manual mode relates to the program being selected, rather than the system selecting the mode based on the tracking radar locking it up. you manually select the program and then transmit it till the lock is broken/cease then shuts down.

No, what the hell are you talking about? That's absolutly not true!

If you activate the jammer in MAN mode by depressing CMS, it will stay active for just a few seconds (~10s) and then reverts to standby again, even if the radar lock is still in place!

Edit: Added track file as proof. You can see how I fly towards a SAM site and activate the jammer in MAN mode a couple of times and every time the jammer stops jamming after just a few seconds and reverts to standby!

JMR MAN.trk

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

got the right mode selected for the locking radar?

I tried SAM1 and SAM2. Didn't make any difference.

Would you please so kind to post a track of you, where you activate the jammer in MAN mode and it stays active for more than 10 seconds? Because I've NEVER seen that in 10 years of flying the A-10C in DCS! You seem to be the only one here where this works (allegedly), so it would be really interesting to see how you do it.

Tornado3 small.jpg