Game Performance

hmm.. well,Lol.. id be cool with just a mini 4k screen attached to my face at a solid 60fps along with some track ir... might not have the 3d depth, but would be more than immersive enough for me.. guess ill stick with my tv in my face for now though.:)

But you'd be kept warm with the multiple GPUs required to feed 2 by 4K HMD displays,.. :P

(you need 2 screens for 3D depth :D)

Keep in mind a lot of VR is subjective and users may give different expressions for essentially the same presentation in a given HMD and system.

E.G. I currently think 2.5.1 OB with Rift and my settings most everything at high MSAA *4 and PD @1.1, shadows flat running 45FPS looks better than 2.2.x did however I need to qualify that I had a 980Ti with 2.2.x and ran 90FPS no deferred shading but I now have a 1080Ti and and with Deferred Shading the image quality and immersion are better for me. Even with the lower frame rate.

With VR it's better to have constant frame rate, 90 does make the perception of movement smoother and more realistic. I believe you can still attempt to lock FPS to 45FPS with or without ASW but that was an update or 2 ago for the Rift software and haven't bothered recently to try it.

I get 45FPS sod all ASW and artifacts and 90% if my flying is close to the ground, trees, buildings etc, sometimes a tad too close. :music_whistling:

This performance argument has a lot of variables and I would think there isn't a clear resolve yet. For me NTTR map is the best performance followed by the new Caucasus and then Normandy. For VR drop frames are bad (stutters et el) and these seem to occur when GPU hits the wall at 100% utilization. If I keep my settings so that I have head room I get very few drop frames but I see a correlation between 100% GPU utilization and drop frames but lowering MSAA to 2 gives even more head room but it's a compromise.

Also correct adjustment of the HMD on the users head is essential and people can get a better more over all in focus and little to no colour fringing especially at top and bottom of the screens when the HMD is setup correctly.

Rift is 2160*1200 mmm 1080*1200 per eye.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

OP, for what it's worth, multiplayer is largely unplayable at this point, I have yet to get on a server that doesn't have massive lag on load in (IF it even finishes loading) and once in a slot have to wait another 2 to 3 minutes for the cockpit to appear. Then, if I'm lucky I may be able to take off without intermittent lag spikes causing me to crash. So you are not along in your major performance hits and there really hasn't been much acknowledgement about the problems other than to clear metashaders and user directories. Which does nothing. I spend less and less time with this game lately, it's just an exercise in frustration trying to get a good session in. The game has gone backwards especially in 2.5.x

Same here, I even upgrade from 16 to 32 GB RAM after reading recommendation on this forum because of that particular issue. Same problem no improvement :doh:

Dare I say 2.5.1 actually runs ok for me on triple monitor setup and looks great! FPS 60 plus, but strangley drops to 30 with Vsinc on??.

VR runs ok FPS wise, about 45 to 60, with reasonable settings (lower than 1.58 ) but it's the reduced image quality that's the difference. Compared to 1.58, Deferred Shading is just blurry in VR, cockpit detail is much reduced and a fuzzy glow around switches and dials etc. Without MSAA, it's all the shimmering objects around low sun too. So for VR I find 2.5 with DS off, or 1.58 is best.

So far, I have not read an explanation anywhere for the cause of reduced image quality in VR with DS on.

Edited by NAKE350

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Well it's getting better again IMO. SSAA is back and I found great NVI settings for the sim too, runs pretty well again and there're no shimmers / jaggies to speak of anymore. Definitely an improvement...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

SSAA in OB

set to 1.5x and enjoy ( disable MSAA, it's either MSAA or SSAA ).

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

oh.. yeah... not great if already running 4k... beats the crap out of the GPU... probably good for lower res though..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Anyone running a 1050Ti without VR have recommended Nvidia settings? Right now I took a look at MSAA off and MSAA 2x and saw literally no visual difference, with about 10-20fps lost if I choose 2x. I tried SSAA at 1.5x and it destroyed my frames.

might want to try killing all in game AA and using either FXAA in Nvidia Control panel just set to ON with no other changes,.. or download and install Reshade and use SMAA in that..

https://reshade.me/

Reshade Install video

Edited by DflippinK
add link

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

^ Neither of above is correct from my experience toying with various internal and external (ReShade) AA options in 2.5.2. You probably have some leftover settings messing up your current DCS install, but if jaggies are gone, that's good, isn't it? :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am finally back and as the dust has settled a bit, I'd like to add just two points.

Fist of all, apologies to everyone for my sudden loss of ability to cope with my anger problems, but you all probably see why I was disappointed so much.

Thanks a lot to BIGNEWY for his understanding and (more important) really constructive hints on how to find suitable settings for the new renderer and the examples provided.

On the second hand, I'd just like to append on the way the update was released and about the update logs.

I agree, I have totally missed the line about the deferred shading in this post.

As I happen to work in software development, too, I understand that sometimes the developer has to take some, say, unpopular decisions due to the reasons which are hard to explain to the end user. I witnessed a lot of situations like this myself and I totally understand it.

However, the line about a major change which affected a lot of people was put somewhere in the last lines of the DCS World updates section as if the person who wrote this was ashamed of it and tried to hide it somewhere.

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”

“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.” :megalol:

From my own experience, the way of telling everyone in advance that something had to be changed dramatically and thus can have a lot of consequences works a lot better.

This all is just my own opinion, however. Just to explain the sudden outrage which I am not proud of at all.

Edited by Dami

• Gigabyte Z97X SLI
  • i5 4670K OC + СoolerMaster 212 Evo
  • inno3D GTX980 iChill
  • 16 GB RAM
  • OCZ Vector 128 GB SSD + 3TB Seagate HDD
  • M-Audio 2496 Audiophile
  • Pimax 4K HMD

• Self-made air mouse controller
  • VKB Cobra Z (BRD Mod)
  • Gametrix ECS; VKB T-Rudder
  • Custom Mjoy 16 switch panel
  • Wireless Inertial Tracker + Opentrack

I've had a similar experience haven't played in a long time...purchased the harrier and persian gulf scenery then spent what seemed like days downloading updates only for it all to run like dog pooo....its sooo frustrating when you spend money on what should be a working product,and have little time to play let alone read a ton of patch notes god knows where on the forum....there was zero mention on the Persian gulf product pages that it was in beta or needed the beta to run.......personally you guys on here are way too forgiving....any other game people would be screaming........

Update sry ED for the rant and whinge.......just want to get flying lol i updated the graphics drivers thx to a reply on another post..... made a huge difference...still the odd stutter tho......

Edited by pawea
u

there was zero mention on the Persian gulf product pages that it was in beta or needed the beta to run.......

I didn't keep screenshots from before the Early Access release, but I figure the store page probably looked a lot like it does now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=186585

So when you say "zero mention", are you sure you didn't just miss something?

It's great that DCS attracts new players! Having been a customer for a while, I just think you guys need to relax a bit and have some patience.

Also, many many problems can be solved with the help of the community. Getting that done in a short time isn't probably going to work, though. It takes some back and forth, restarting DCS, testing settings and so on.

If you want to learn aircraft, the old version 1.5.7 might be the way to go; for some users, it ran a lot better than 2.5 (regardless of 2.5 stable or OpenBeta). The new maps and new aircraft won't be available in 1.5, and I strongly believe that 2.5 looks much better, but the Harrier flies just fine in 1.5 (probably minus the updates and fixes that have been delivered since 1.5 was deprecated). Might be worth a try.

capture_20180605_01.thumb.png.75f6b9c8754f35251a2c517f1a859975.png

I didn't keep screenshots from before the Early Access release, but I figure the store page probably looked a lot like it does now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=186585

So when you say "zero mention", are you sure you didn't just miss something?

To be fair it didn't say 2.5.2 beta much before release, if at all.. I can confirm I checked on the 19th of May because another user was worried the Hornet wasn't going to work well after he'd pre ordered then experienced the poor performance of the beta platform with Deferred Shading. The header defiantly said requires version 2.5. I copied and pasted exactly what it said in another thread.

Edited by NAKE350

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

I'm running 2.5.2. I've only got an AMD 6950 2GB for now but the rest of my system's OK (i5 4670k @4.3Ghz, 16GB RAM, SSD).

Even with the settings on mostly low I'm only getting about 25fps, even though the GPU is only at 50% and the CPU at 22%. If I look down into the aircraft so the outside view isn't view it climbs a bit to around 32fps.

I've attached two screenshots from today in the A-10C under Win10. There's also two screenshots from a few days ago in the KA-50 under Win8.1 with different settings in the third post on this thread. I also had the DCS stats showing then but they don't mean anything to me and it shows video mem around 6GB even though I've only got 2GB!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207338

DCS_2018_06_05_19_59_55_455.thumb.jpg.31870128bab960b001bfc5a4342ceaf1.jpg

DCS_2018_06_05_20_00_34_832.thumb.gif.98b0aebb1eedd1bbeed757dbbd7a0dc9.gif

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

might want to try killing all in game AA and using either FXAA in Nvidia Control panel just set to ON with no other changes,.. or download and install Reshade and use SMAA in that..

https://reshade.me/

Reshade Install video

Thanks Dflippink. :thumbup: I´m giving Reshade with SMAA a try now. I´m on open beta. Looks like a good compromise for fps/quality for the starters.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Thanks Dflippink. :thumbup: I´m giving Reshade with SMAA a try now. I´m on open beta. Looks like a good compromise for fps/quality for the starters.

:thumbup: