Worth buying campaign?

splash

Again, I want to take a second to really appreciate the L-39. The jet trainers really do have a major place in any virtual pilot's DCS hangar, or at least they should.

I've been simming for decades and am (slowly) working on my PPL. This campaign, however, has revealed that despite everything I've accomplished in DCS, I'm actually a shit virtual pilot.

Being stuck on mission 1 because of things I have zero problem with in actual aircraft is a real challenge. It really appeals to the perfectionist/masochist aspect my brain and casts into broad daylight the shortcuts I took while learning DCS in order to get to the fun stuff more quickly. Sure, I can use Markpoints to rapid fire 6 Mavericks and 4 WCMD's in a single pass, but can I hold a level or descending controlled turn in a trainer?

It's also a great showcase for the challenge of virtual flight, versus real flight. Things you don't have to think much about in real AC become very difficult in a simulation because of the lack of physical and visual cues. All you have is instruments, so you're scanning the hell out of them while trying to coordinate the jet. It's quite a different experience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

• 2 months later...

Brief overview on the campaign from my side:

1. Idea of such training campaign is very good, there must be similar for all modules! - 10/10 for the idea

2. Mission design is good, the scenarios are designed to cover the basics for piloting/navigation and weapon deliver, no complex tactics or doctrines, just basics, very good for any beginner. - 10/10 on the scenarios for the missions.

3. Immersion is not good, no additional VOs or other traffic to create noise and more "live" around you, pretty much sterile environment, most likely the campaign was just rushed with no attention to details. - 4/10 on the immersion

4. Briefings are bad and confusing, simple navigation of 2-3 waypoints are described by just text with no map drawing to make it more clear. Had to open the map and draw them myself to get more clear picture of the RPs and route legs. Due to the confusing format of the briefings, missions look more complex than what they actually are. No pdf are also included, you can download them in the forum however. Absolutely 0 details in the briefings, seems like they had to finish them for a few hours before the release. 2/10 for the mission briefings.

5. No issues so far from technical perspective, missions are working as intended, no issues with triggers not working etc. 10/10 for reliability.

Overall I can give around 6/10 because I am a person who really like the attention to details and this campaign was obviously rushed. I do however recommend it 100% to everybody owning the L-39 and anyone new to DCS. Also if you like L-39 and just looking for some content to fly it, for 10 bucks this campaign worth the money.

This is just my opinion tho, other people experience might differ.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Bought the campaign a couple of days ago and I can only say it's a MUST for every DCS L-39 pilot. I love how the instructor interacts with you and reacts to your actions permanently. Kudos to the makers of the campaign :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

A voice/subtitle repeat would be useful for any mission. It's not too hard to implement by the mission maker, but that's an item that would deserve to be on the DCS wish list (it's probably the case) so that it's available by default.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR