Prebuying inquiry

Aries101

Hello guys.

I am in process of buying new module for DCS. For timebeing I have two failed purchases of with i mostly dislike both. KA 50 and SU 27 to be precise. Not for being bad but those were just not my type I guess so i am now all over the place looking for right one. I discarded at this point Viggen and Mirage. A 10C is way too complicated for my taste. Not sure about the rest.

What I am looking in plane is nice looks, simple operations, usability in missions (solo and in multiplayer) so I was wondering does Albatros since it is mostly trainer could fit in those roles? I dont expect to be perfect , but fun and usable I guess.

The albatros its a trainer. Not a Fighter not a bomber, so keep that in mind.

That being said you still have the option to arm it with a couple of heatseeker Air to air missiles, bombs and rockets.

The avionics are quite simple, as it only has the essential, No Air to air radar and no Bombsight or anything to help your bombs be precise.

The flight dynamics are great.

In my opinion this airplane doesnt have to much usability in Multiplayer public servers, not enough ground attack power to be useful and in the Air its just a sitting duck.

Now there are people that like this challenge.

If you like Air to Air combat I would recommend the Mirage, its not that complicated.

If you like Air to ground, I would go for the A10C.

Or if you want a mix of all of this with easier avionics and systems, go for the F-5, think of it like an upgraded Albatros

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

Yes, the L39 would do fine ... however there is relatively little content for it on the user file section, and it doesnt have a Campaign ... its biggest feature being its ability to have two pilots on a single plane, provided both own the module.

May I suggest the F-86 Sabre? .. it is fairly simple to learn, hard to master and tough it doesnt have a built-in Campaign, there is one available as separate DLC (I purchased it during a sale for US$5). It´s a beautiful plane, has several dozen skins available on the user files and can be used online on some Servers that simulate Korean conflict.

Another good alternative is the F-5, similar to the Sabre but with higher performance and equipped with a primitive radar. This one is very used on multiplayer servers, tough its outclassed by the F-15C and Su-27.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The Albatros is very limited in what it can do. There's also very little singleplayer content for it.

From your requirements, I think F-5 is the best choice, although don't expect modern multirole capabilities from this one. Doesn't have any fancy bombing modes and carries only two A2A missiles.

Or pick one of the Korean jets, even simpler than F-5, but more capable than Albatros.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Korean jets? I di not saw this in game.

:) they do exist, both the american Sabre and the soviet MiG-15:

O72NJ2dg-0w

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

If you are looking for just one plane, might I suggest the Harrier. Its got decent speed and payload with a good mix of precision and unguided weapons. You get naval or land ops. No air to air radar but its no slouch in a dogfight with heaters and viffing. With 2 tanks its got some pretty decent range at higher altitudes.

The best part though is you cant just slam the throttle forward and yank the stick around too carelessly. Engine temp management, fuel management with no tanks and watching how many G you pull keeps you on your toes just a bit.

Plus vertical landing is the business...

Edited by 104th_Money

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

Hello guys.

I am in process of buying new module for DCS. For timebeing I have two failed purchases of with i mostly dislike both. KA 50 and SU 27 to be precise. Not for being bad but those were just not my type I guess so i am now all over the place looking for right one. I discarded at this point Viggen and Mirage. A 10C is way too complicated for my taste. Not sure about the rest.

What I am looking in plane is nice looks, simple operations, usability in missions (solo and in multiplayer) so I was wondering does Albatros since it is mostly trainer could fit in those roles? I dont expect to be perfect , but fun and usable I guess.

If you are asking for an high fidelity module then the F-5 from Belsimtek is your best option. Is simple, able to dogfight with other planes and do some bombing runs ( even with laser guided bomb with buddy lasing from another aircraft or ground troops ) and the most important.. is very well modeled.. his counterpart should be the Mig-21 bis, but that module have a lot of flaws and for a lot of months is nearly abandoned by the devs.

The L-39 is perfectly modeled but as a trainer his combat capacity is very low.

If you are asking for an high fidelity module then the F-5 from Belsimtek is your best option. Is simple, able to dogfight with other planes and do some bombing runs ( even with laser guided bomb with buddy lasing from another aircraft or ground troops ) and the most important.. is very well modeled.. his counterpart should be the Mig-21 bis, but that module have a lot of flaws and for a lot of months is nearly abandoned by the devs.

This. I have both and while the L-39 is stunningly modelled, I struggle to find a use for him. The F-5E is similar in concept (simple systems and avionics) but has more content and capability. I suspect with the F-14 just around the corner we'll see loads of F-14 vs F-5 servers pop up if MP is your bag.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

Dear Aries,

Guessing by your previous choice of Su27 and Ka50, you might have a thing for the East and the metric system, as I do. Should that be the case, L-39 is the best full fidelity plane you can get from that side. I have about 50 hours on that plane in multiplayer, not kidding, on the ACG Cold War server. I killed more F-5s in my L-39 than in my Mig-21. Although other planes are better, thanks to its great turn rate you can get kills consistently, and you would not feel bad by being shot down by better airframes. You have rockets and a cannon for secondary ground pounding, which is doable on that server as there is no strong AA presence. There are great things you can do in singleplayer, too. There is a training mission where you do a navigation flight exclusively by instruments, you can do zero visibility landings using RSBN navigation system, you can fly from the instructor seat at the back, you can perfect areobatic figures. It is a great plane that one can truly love.

Nevertheless, I really would not want you be disappointed again. If you do not mind to fly on the, well, imperial side, as others have mentioned, F5 is overall a better plane with systems such as radar and RWR, with a great gun, and with the flight model that is perhaps as good as the highly acclaimed model of L-39. But it is not a perfect plane either, with no autopilot and with no IFF. But you will not find those on L-39 either.

I hope that you can make an informed decision.

This will certainly help. I do preffer metric system since I am from eastern EU. IFF is for target identification if I am correct? I guess that it helps in MP xd.

After all this input I got now my final dillemma is Mirage or L-39 and they are so different that I am just not sure. I guess I would preffer simplicity of weapon application in L-39 but then again after some point I will want to get into something better so Mirage might be my choice. I guess I will have to buy one now and when I get better in this than more advanced one. After all I still got KA 50 to practice if I wish to make my life complicated XD.

I wander if there is any squadrons that use L-39 in multiplayer missions...

Aries,

Yes, IFF stands for Identification Friend or Foe. On the ACG server Bluefor and Redfor use different airframes so identification is performed visually, no need for an IFF capable radar. With Mirage you could go beyond visual range on say the 104th Phoenix server, neither L-39 nor F5 have any place there, not even in a ground attack role due to heavy AA. I do not own Mirage, but from what I read it is not the most complicated plane and it is quite popular as thus far it is the only full fidelity beyond visual range fighter. It appears that I recall that the flight model changed couple of times, if that says anything about the quality, but otherwise it should be a quite polished module. Have a look at the dedicated forum for more details. If I were to consider Mirage, I would wait for F/A-18, but that will be a complicated plane indeed.

I have not seen any squadron using L-39, and I cannot offer you to form one as for family reasons I do not have much time to fly anymore. But there are other people flying L-39, maybe you could make some friends.

I know you excluded the viggen before - but if i may - i could recommend this plane for you.

it is really easy to fly. you don't need to push that many buttons to get it started.

navigation is very easy due to its radar / computer system

weapon system is easy as well, you just need to get used to it ;)

and most of all: its in metric system!

judging from bugs of the module, the viggen doesn't have that much.

And you can use it on the ACG Cold War server pretty good as capable dogfighter and as even better ground attack plane.

and this little thing is very fast!!

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

What folks here forget is how great the L-39ZA is in COIN / low-intensity warfare. It turns on a dime, has more than enough firepower against lightly armed targets and personnel, is easy to operate and fly and even has an observer seat available. Granted, there's a dearth of suitable scenarios and missions for it, but you can always make some yourself - and run your own server, too, if you're into that rather than offline flying.

So it's actually a pretty capable combat AC if you use it correctly. And let's not forget that it's been used in COIN warfare a lot IRL too...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Granted, there's a dearth of suitable scenarios and missions for it, but you can always make some yourself - and run your own server, too, if you're into that rather than offline flying.

So it's actually a pretty capable combat AC if you use it correctly.

Which basically means that you have to make the missions yourself in the SP or you're a dead meat to anyone in the MP who spots you, because anything else is more powerful and better armed there.

It turns on a dime, has more than enough firepower against lightly armed targets and personnel, is easy to operate and fly and even has an observer seat available

What? After one sharp turn it's left with no energy and no engine power to regain it quickly. For it's class it's not very manoeuvrable airplane. The armament panel compared to more combat oriented machines is an ergonomic nightmare (try to switch between rockets and gun quickly). Besides, anything sold currently for DCS has more than enough firepower against lightly armed targets and personnel.

That of course will change with the advent of CE2 and Yak52. :music_whistling:

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hello guys.

I know you think the A-10C is complicated, well it's not really once you grasp a few concepts well. If you just start with the basics and work your way up it's fine and you will have years of enjoyment here, best bang for buck.

It's really only getting the hotas system thta is a little tricky at the start and also punching in coordinates to find targets, that comes much later anyway, she is easy to fly and do traffic patterns and has ILS for IMC conditions.

Recommend you take a look over the aircraft mentioned in this thread using Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library all in PDFs for download and make up you own mind.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

If you want to fly and shoot only without complications fly the free Su-25T included with the installer. I highly recommend the Su-33 if you are up to carrier operations and its a step towards familiarising yourself with the hornet. If you want basic airmanship under a manual guise, then L-39 is your purchase, also applies to aerobatics if interested.

Lastly, if you want pure airmanship, a trainer, and sightseeing with possibly navigation exercises, its better to await the Yak-52.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

What?

Yes.

This is what one RL operator thinks about its performance as a COIN platform: "According to Reuters, by 2014 the L-39 had allegedly become one of the favoured platforms of the Syrian Air Force for performing ground attack missions due to its slower speed and higher agility over other aircraft in its inventory." LINK

And indeed, it turns pretty well with the airbrake and while that of course slows it down, its stall speed is so low that it remains perfectly manouverable against ground targets nevertheless. You just have to know what you're doing is all. And just to remind you, I specifically said COIN warfare myself, which should of course exclude any total idiocy like throwing it in with opposing F-16s or some such.

So what's the problem here, because there doesn't seem to be one really?

Just pointing out, that L-39 is good only for limited COIN scenarios. Which we have very little in DCS World, as you have said already. There are other airplanes in DCS that can perform the same tasks and much more. So unless you have all other aircraft for DCS, have a buddy with whom you can fly shared cockpit in MP, or you just love COIN missions where no one shoots back at you, there are more interesting choices for that money.

I'm not denying that L-39 is a very good quality module, better than most offerings from 3rd parties.

love COIN missions where no one shoots back at you

What? If you think a typical COIN mission is one where no-one shoots back at you, you're sorely mistaken. Those insurgents wield AK-47s and RPGs and they'll certainly shoot at you given the chance. I just wish they had more lo-tec hardware on their side, such as technicals etcetera, but that's another discussion altogether so let's leave it at that for now.

As IRL, you don't use this plane against a heavily-armed enemy. But it is still perfectly capable of taking out even BMPs and such, provided that you, again, know what you're doing. And that is exactly what makes this plane so interesting, because you need skills in order to operate her effectively.

there are more interesting choices for that money

Speak for yourself only, because there actually aren't any other "more interesting" modern(ish)-era choices in DCS currently for us stick and rudder guys. Even the F-5 lacks the basicness, simplicity and manouverability which makes this plane so beautiful. So nope, no "more interesting" choices for us back to basics guys ATM that I know.

Edited by msalama

Those insurgents wield AK-47s and RPGs and they'll certainly shoot at you given the chance.

In DCS? Never seen infantry shooting RPG at me...

Got shot down by MBT main gun a few times, but that's another matter.

Speak for yourself only, because there actually aren't any other "more interesting" modern(ish)-era choices in DCS currently for us stick and rudder guys.

I wrote the same in the first part of the sentence you qouted. (the "unless you love COIN" part). If you want an argument at least please read what I write, or don't quote half of the sentence.

(the "unless you love COIN" part)

You mean the sentence where you said "unless you love COIN missions where no-one shoots back at you"? Now what kind of a COIN mission is that? The one where they capitulate and you fly in to collect the signatures on your way to the victory boozeup?

Anyway, what all this boils down to, I suppose, is that you claimed there're other modules more interesting for the money to be had, and I opposed that claim since "interesting" is entirely a matter of taste. You could've defended, say, purchasing an A-10C as opposed to the L-39 on the grounds that the Hog offers more hi-tec bang for the buck, and that claim would've been entirely correct per se; but "interesting"? Nope. Because one man's "interesting" is another's watching the paint dry.

And that's it from me. Backing out before we start to tango around the mulberry bush here ;)

Edited by msalama