L-39 and Warthog throttle

L-39beeratros

Hello, I recently got my Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and I'm having a hard time setting up buttons for L-39 actions.

For example: the throttle has great toggle for air brakes, which works just as in real L-39 (one way spring loaded, other way fixed, middle position retracted) but I'm unable to map the middle position for retracting (while trying to assing the middle position DCS options don't register anything), and it's the same with some other switches - for example the 2 switches in bottom left corner of throttle body would serve nicely as pitot heat switches, however again I'm only able to map 1 position to action, not the other one.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice!

Without TARGET the device only outputs a button on the up-down positions, nothing for middle. It's the same for all the other switches, if it has N positions then it has N-1 button numbers assigned to it.

The DCS A-10C has special control lua definitions that have to be held down to keep the switch on. If the button press stops then it enacts the other switch position. The L-39 probably doesn't have that already but it should be able to be written by some user.

The other option is a TARGET profile which generates some bindable output on middle flap position.

Not always before! DCS happily discovers joysticks plugged in during runtime.

I was curious if the LUA edit made it possible and surprisingly it works without any visible sideeffects.

-- Flaps
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 1,    value_up = 4,    name = _('Flaps Flight Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 2,    value_up = 5,    name = _('Flaps TakeOff Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 3,    value_up = 6,    name = _('Flaps Landing Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 1,    value_up = 2,    name = _('Flaps Up (Hold)'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 3,    value_up = 2,    name = _('Flaps Down (Hold)'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},

The last two lines are added to the appropriate controller .lua in \DCS\Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Input\L-39C\joystick. In this case it was Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua as it matches the name of the controller. If there was no such file then the edit would go into default.lua.

The state on up button press are 1, 2 on release. The states 1 and 2 are to press the top and middle button respectively. The second command sets state 3 on press (buttom button) and 2 on release (middle button).

After this edit is accomplished all that is left is to start DCS (without TARGET running) and assign the buttons 22 & 23 to the new commands in the 'Flight Control' section. Now all three buttons are accessed logically by the output of these two buttons naturally using the Thrustmaster controller without TARGET.

Now to find out if there is a way to issue multiple cockpit commands with a single key press; the 3-position binding works, but the buttons are never released; once you have moved the flap switch through all three positions all the buttons in the cockpit will appear depressed...

Ideally we'd need flaps up to send command 1 and 4 to release the button. On release of flaps up and into takeoff position, we need to it send 2 and 5.

For flaps down, we'd need to send 3 followed by 6, and then on release 2 and 5 again.

I tried throwing the extra binds in with commas for a lark but no luck.

• 3 months later...
Thanks, looks like I'll have to see what's that TARGET thing about :)

I would advise you to stay as far as you can from T.A.R.G.E.T. and any calibration software. I nearly turned my Tm Warthog in a 3kg of metal junk. Nothing was working anymore, not even official drivers and tools. What saved me was a very old PC with Widows XP and USB 2.0, and I let windows to update the drivers from windows update (imagine thet Windows Update actually being useful for once :thumbup:). Everything works just fine but the lesson is don't play the firmware lottery unless you afford to lose 400 Euros.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 5820K, 32GB DDR4, 3x250GB SSD RAID0, nVidia GTX 1080, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Virpil WarBird base with Thrustmaster Warthog grip, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals - 2484.