English training missions?

callum112233

• 6 months later...
This is ridiculous.

I have to agree. Nothing against my Russian friends, but at the price these modules are, English should be offered. I just purchased this and was quite surprised, and somewhat disappointed. The aircraft itself is a beauty.

Edit: After going through them a few times it's not so bad.

Edited by Muskoka
  • Like 1

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

• 3 weeks later...
I just went through the Start-Up Tutorial and noticed that tooltips are not available, when holding the mouse over a switch, etc....

Am I missing a setting, or are tooltips not working?

When I did the M-2000C tutorials in 1.5.6, tooltips didn't appear. They did work in regular missions, MP, etc. So it might be a DCS tutorial thing (due to pausing for a user actions, etc.) ?

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Ok and what is the mission you try ? I don't see mission Start-up in DCS, did download it ?

I've tested DCS 1.5.7.9459

• Training/L-39/L-39C. Startup, Taxi and Takeoff

attachment.php?attachmentid=169751&stc=1&d=1506338636

... like the M-2000C training missions, it lacks cockpit tool tips.

However the older

• Training/A-10C/Aircraft Start-up

attachment.php?attachmentid=169752&stc=1&d=1506338636

... still has tool tips, so it looks like something about the training mission design/settings, rather than DCS

Note: the screenshots didn't capture the interactive mouse cursor

DCS_1_5_7_L-39_No_tooltips_in_training_Screen_170925_114950.thumb.jpg.6a327819fc22307d713dc8fedc35446a.jpg

DCS_1_5_7_A-10C_Still_has_tooltips_in_training_Screen_170925_121703.jpg.5c476be9e307a2395a542116781390c6.jpg

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Send me the script and ED or whoever may use my voice in a/the training video(s). It's hard for some of us to read the writing in the videos and we count of the spoken word to get us through these. English speakers make up a big section of the customers here. Everything should be available in English. And please, please no more English with the thick French accent like the Mirage training videos. Why in the world would they even think this would help us get through the training easier than a native speaker of English?

• 7 months later...

I appreciate the intent of immersion using Russian, but in training environment, that charm lasted about 5 seconds before it became a obstruction to learning. Would rather no voice than one that is just a distraction while I'm trying to learn a new plane. Would have been appreciated & a really good feature having a Native & English voice option; please consider this for a future patch.

• Like 1

I also was shocked to by this and find its only in Russian had that been stated I would not have purchased it I have used it all of 5 min do to only having subtitles. It looked like an excellent way to train till I opened it and found out the instructor only spoke Russian, It would be nice if there was a way to take the speech file out have it translated by some kind app the put back in

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I also was shocked to by this and find its only in Russian had that been stated I would not have purchased it I have used it all of 5 min do to only having subtitles. It looked like an excellent way to train till I opened it and found out the instructor only spoke Russian, It would be nice if there was a way to take the speech file out have it translated by some kind app the put back in

Well it isn't exactly that easy, but not that much harder with the new multi-language support provided with dcs since dcs 1.5 and now in most missions, it is a lot easier, just to re-record the texts using your own or someone elses english voices and attach the new voice overs to another language that will automatically play the correct ones based on what version of language is appropriate for locale being it Russian, English, French or others.

Simple way of Doing it:

• Must have the willingness to take it on, and spend sometime doing it.
  • Use a tool called MZedit (By Uboat) from the ED user file section of Website to extract all messaging in a mission to a text file to get all the subtitle texts in an easy to read format for the reading script.
  • Set up some simple recording software, Audacity is popular for this, you can then record your voice for each message to a separate .wav or .ogg files, using the same names as the originals that come with the mission.
  • This is the tricky part, ie: when the sound files are created, using a zip viewer, open the actual mission file and copy from the Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Missions\Training\L39-Training-1-Start-Taxi-TO.miz\l10n\DEFAULT directory all .wav or .ogg and "mapResource" files to the Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Missions\Training\L39-Training-1-Start-Taxi-TO.miz\l10n\RU directory.
  • Now copy your new sound .wav or .ogg files to the Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Missions\Training\L39-Training-1-Start-Taxi-TO.miz\l10n\DEFAULT directory.
  • Close the mission file and run DCS to enjoy you new voice overs in english voices for english users and Russian can still have the old russian voice overs.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Problem with editing original files is, the update and repair will always replace it with the original version -> additional download and manually replacing the mission files again.

A much better and consumer friendly solution would be to have ED provide the English voice overs .

And they could clean up the untranslated Russian texts, too and use feet and knots, when the english cockpit is selected to match the instruments.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

• 8 months later...

English please

I can quite see why, for the sake of realism, ED use Russian for this module but, for learning it makes things very awkward. For the money English should be an option. I will really have to think twice about buying “Russian” modules in future.

Please can we have English versions of the training missions and radio communications.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've just bought L-39 Albatros an I was shocked it's only available in Russian. It might have as well be only in Czech (as it is a Czech(oslovakian) plane anyway) - at least I would understand that. 😉 So it's reading only with annoying through the radio voice, which is a pity, compared to free or FC3 planes. I hope the rest of the surprises will be only for the better.

BTW: From the long-term users, what is the experience with released module (not in preview anymore) - are there any updates/improvements ever done, or are they generally fire and forget?

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

16 hours ago, virgo47 said:

BTW: From the long-term users, what is the experience with released module (not in preview anymore) - are there any updates/improvements ever done, or are they generally fire and forget?

For ED-developed modules, unless there's some core game update affecting multiple aircraft together, or there's a major overhaul of old flagship product (A-10C, Ka-50), it's pretty much "fire and forget" indeed, with only minor fixes and tweaks implemented occasionally.

For 3rd-party-developed modules, it's a mixed bag and depends on developer and module really.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

21 hours ago, virgo47 said:

I've just bought L-39 Albatros an I was shocked it's only available in Russian. It might have as well be only in Czech (as it is a Czech(oslovakian) plane anyway) - at least I would understand that. 😉 So it's reading only with annoying through the radio voice

Hi, a user translated the cold start one, it may help a bit:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308083/https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308083/

21 hours ago, virgo47 said:

My experience is that ED modules receive improvements only while in early access, afterwards its maintenance updates, so that the module still works correctly when DCS goes from v1.2 to 1.5, to 2.0, to 2.5 and to 2.7 A module with no updates would soon stop working, like happened with the Hawk.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the replies guys. I know about the modified mission, but I can stand the Russian voice, no problem - I eventually learn what he says (or remember the text) after all those repetitions of the missions. I was just genuinely surprised that ED gave us ONLY Russian voice-over - which feels rather silly, really.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube