L-39 manual errors & typos

Rotorhead

8-82, p. 23, last paragraph: "Czech pilots flew the route with a total length of 5042 km from Vodochody to Mazar-i-Sharif through Košice, Lviv (Sknilov), Kiev (Juliani), Donetsk, Krasnodar, Makhachkala, Krasnovodsk, Ashkhabad, Chardjou and Tashkent."

Sknilov -> Sknyliv (if it is UKLL)

Juliani -> Zhuliany (if it is UKKK)

8-82, p. 24, second paragraph: "Former military advisor to the deputy chief of the school, V.I. Ablazov, wrote to DRA Air Force commander Mir Gausuddin about this proposal, remembering once looking at a passing caravan of nomads: 'Your children are being born listening to TV noise, unable to speak, they already know how to turn on the lights and tape recorder, twitch a car wheel. When they grow up, they do not have problems to release one control knob and take hold of another. Our children break away from the donkey or camel tail, from the mother hem and you want to put them right into the modern airplane cockpit? Take your time and do not rush'."

Seemed to be more sensible if Gasuddin wrote to Ablazov.

(Irreversibly confused now by trying to understand airwar.ru... :helpsmilie:)

8-82, p. 23, last paragraph: "Czech pilots flew the route with a total length of 5042 km from Vodochody to Mazar-i-Sharif through Košice, Lviv (Sknilov), Kiev (Juliani), Donetsk, Krasnodar, Makhachkala, Krasnovodsk, Ashkhabad, Chardjou and Tashkent."

Sknilov -> Sknyliv (if it is UKLL)

Juliani -> Zhuliany (if it is UKKK)

Depends on language used:

Russian: Sknilov and Zhulyany or Zhuliany, both are ok.

Ukrainian: Sknyliv or Zhuliany.

8-82, p. 24, second paragraph: "Former military advisor to the deputy chief of the school, V.I. Ablazov, wrote to DRA Air Force commander Mir Gausuddin about this proposal, remembering once looking at a passing caravan of nomads: 'Your children are being born listening to TV noise, unable to speak, they already know how to turn on the lights and tape recorder, twitch a car wheel. When they grow up, they do not have problems to release one control knob and take hold of another. Our children break away from the donkey or camel tail, from the mother hem and you want to put them right into the modern airplane cockpit? Take your time and do not rush'."

Seemed to be more sensible if Gasuddin wrote to Ablazov.

(Irreversibly confused now by trying to understand airwar.ru... :helpsmilie:)

Good point. I tried to rephrase it to make more clear.

"Former military advisor to the deputy chief of the school, V.I. Ablazov, wrote (probably in his memoirs), that the DRA Air Force commander Mir Gausuddin, looking at a passing caravan of nomads, remembered this proposal and said: 'Your children are being born listening to TV noise, unable to speak, they already know how to turn on the lights and tape recorder, twitch a car wheel. When they grow up, they do not have problems to release one control knob and take hold of another. Our children break away from the donkey or camel tail, from the mother hem and you want to put them right into the modern airplane cockpit? Take your time and do not rush'."

Good point. I tried to rephrase it to make more clear.

"Former military advisor to the deputy chief of the school, V.I. Ablazov, wrote (probably in his memoirs), that the DRA Air Force commander Mir Gausuddin, looking at a passing caravan of nomads, remembered this proposal and said: 'Your children are being born listening to TV noise, unable to speak, they already know how to turn on the lights and tape recorder, twitch a car wheel. When they grow up, they do not have problems to release one control knob and take hold of another. Our children break away from the donkey or camel tail, from the mother hem and you want to put them right into the modern airplane cockpit? Take your time and do not rush'."

Wow, yeah! That one is great, thank you very much! :) :thumbup:

Question for Page 57:

For emergency flap extension it is necessary to move the emergency flap extension valve lever, located on the right panel in the front or rear cockpits, all the way back. (Why mention this specific Valve, all others should not moved all the way back!?) (after mention the Flap valve it continues with Landing gear monitoring?) Landing gear extension is monitored by corresponding lights and mechanical pointers. In case of emergency landing gear extension, the gear doors are kept open and the U/C DOORS OUT (gear doors are opened) indicator light remains on.

Question for Page 60 (8-82.pdf):

It is about aircraft controls, the arrows pointing only to the trimmers though?

Edited by EagleEye

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Question for Page 57:

For emergency flap extension it is necessary to move the emergency flap extension valve lever, located on the right panel in the front or rear cockpits, all the way back. (Why mention this specific Valve, all others should not moved all the way back!?).

The correct emergency procedure to extend the flaps is to move the emergency flap extension valve lever all the way back. I think there is nothing wrong and the text statement is clear. Why should all the other emergency levers pulled back in a case that only affects the flaps?

Question for Page 57:

(after mention the Flap valve it continues with Landing gear monitoring?) Landing gear extension is monitored by corresponding lights and mechanical pointers. In case of emergency landing gear extension, the gear doors are kept open and the U/C DOORS OUT (gear doors are opened) indicator light remains on.

In this case the text transition is very rough and should be reworked. In particular, there is a lack of context to the previous writing. I think the whole section "EMERGENCY HYDRAULIC SYSTEM" is not dealt with in sufficient detail in this manual.

Edited by Lino_Germany

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

ED manual, page 166

To perform missed approach procedure from altitudes higher than 50 m, pilot must:

• by not changing gliding pitch, increase engine RPM to the takeoff value by moving throttle lever all the way forward;

• not allowing speed less than 210 km/h, stop descending;

• retract gear;

• at speed of 230—250 km/h start climbing;

• at altitude of 50—70 m retract gear first at 25°, then completely, perform another landing approach.

The last sentence should read:

• at altitude of 50—70 m retract flaps first at 25°, then completely, perform another landing approach.

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

ED manual, page 167

Figure. Circle pattern flight.

1. Н = 20 m. V= 250 km/h. – retract landing gear.

2. Н = 50 – 70 m. V = 280 km/h. – retract flaps.

3. V = 300 km/h. n1= 100 %.

4. Н = 300 m. V = 350 km/h. roll =200 - turn entry at downwind leg.

5. Н = 600 m. V = 350 km/h. Course= Coursedownwind leg + SA.

6. Н = 600 m. V = 350 km/h. abeam of the RSBN beacon. Beacon bearing = 2700 (900) PPD =5,5 – 6 km.

7. Abeam of the runway threshold, n1= 80 %. V= 300 km/h. – retract gears.

8. Н = 600 m. V = 300 km/h. Beacon bearing = 2400 (1200), roll =300 – third turn entry.

9. n1= 85 %. V = 280 km/h. retract flaps at 250, beginning of glide with Vy = 4 – 5 m/s.

10. Н = 420 – 400 m. V = 280 km/h. Roll =300 - fourth turn entry.

11. Н = 330 – 320 m. – fourth turn exit, retract flaps at 440.

12. Н = 260 m. V = 260 km/h. – fly over outer NDB.

13. Н= 60 – 80 m. V = 230 km/h. – fly over inner NDB.

"retract" has to be changed to "extend".

Edited by Lino_Germany

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

8-81, p. 18, first paragraph (KT-04): "Before takeoff, the KT-04, installed on a trolley, was attached to the winch cable with a special grip. During takeoff, the distance between the tug and the target was 100 m."

I found http://flak11.de/FlakGS-Ziele.htm which claims 800 m between tug and target. However, these are LV/LSK values and may differ from WWS figures. Is there a chance to have this clarified?

(However, 100 m seems quite close to me)

I'm not sure either. From http://l-39.cz/KT-04_popis.html :

Start

Terč na startovacím podvozku se na VPD umístil za letoun L-39V. Při startu mělo vlečné lano délku asi 100 až 150 m.

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

8-82, p. 22, third paragraph: "Among them were TACAN AN/ARN-153(V) radio navigation system manufactured by Collins ProLine II, ADF-462 radio compass and GPS receiver."

I'm slightly confused - AN/ARN-153(V), ADF-462 and ProLine II are all products by Rockwell Collins, right?

Correct - fixed.

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

I really doubt it's 800m. It's said that the target undercarriage was tuned not to drift more than one meter per 100m of cable length. On 800m length, such precision would be impossible. Old aviation magazine I have (1978) is mentioning the same measurements, roughly 120m. I think the info on l-39.cz actually comes from that magazine article, but I would trust that site as the author certainly knows what he's doing.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

ED manual, page 177

«NAVIG» (NAVIGATION) MODE

The «НАВИГАЦИЯ» (Navigation) mode is a primary RSBN-5S («Iskra-K») mode.

Heading of the airplane is read on RMI’s internal scale against pointer with circle.

Neue Bitmap.bmp

Heading of the airplane is always read at the uppermost position, under the upside-down white triangle, at the inner scale of the RMI.

The pointer with the circle is fully independent from the aircraft heading and its sharp end shows the BEARING to the by channel selected RSBN-station.

Edited by Lino_Germany

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

ED manual, page 177

[ATTACH]127001[/ATTACH]

Heading of the airplane is always read at the uppermost position, under the upside-down white triangle, at the inner scale of the RMI.

The pointer with the circle is fully independent from the aircraft heading and it´s sharp end shows the BEARING to the by channel selected RSBN-station.

Yes, you are completely right!

ED manual, page 177

In the «NAVIG» mode, flight with required azimuth can be performed.

To flight from RSBN beacon:

• using course knob set heading equal to required azimuth;

• while flying from the beacon the distance on PPD-2 is increasing.

To flight towards RSBN beacon:

• using course knob set heading opposite (180°) to required azimuth ;

• while flying towards beacon the distance on PPD-2 is decreasing.

In my opinion the green and blue marked sentences have to be swapped out.
Edited by Lino_Germany

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

ED manual, page 177

In my opinion the green and blue marked sentences have to be swapped out.

I think the manual is correct, at least the green part. :D It seems logical that when you're flying from the station you have the heading equal to the azimuth. I'm not sure about the vice versa...

I think manual is correct. Misunderstanding comes from understanding what is azimuth. Azimuth is a vector FROM reference point (RSBN) to any point in space. I modified you figure and then everything is in correspondance with manual.

d78632b99a9474eb40ad1bc5af14cd1c.jpg

d78632b99a9474eb40ad1bc5af14cd1c.jpeg

Edited by Zhivuchiy