Worth buying campaign?

splash

Hi, could you please post your opinions about new Kursant campaign for L-39? I'm quite proficency when flying L-39C but not deploying weapons, so I'm not sure if this a more advanced training that training missions or similar.

Thanks.

A serious and well made campaign.I think that very similar to reality, requires a good study of the briefing and precision when flying, absolutely recommended and very useful as a training for virtual pilot

Definately more advanced then the training missions, and not really revolving around what buttons to push, but rather the correct procedures. For example, doing a rocket attack after a combat turn or doing a rocket attack after a loft maneuvre. Very interesting and quite pretty challenging!

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I am surprised this level of campaign has finally been set. Its unprecedented. I am still stuck on mission 1.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I'm also stuck on mission 1 - as of yet I can't figure out how to keep my speed that close to 350km/h. This will take a serious improvement in my virtual flying skills but I think that's the whole point - to improve your skillset which then would be able to be applied in a wide variety of other modules and situations.

I suppose I would only recommend this module for folks looking to improve as opposed to just having a good time. I think it's quite good thus far.

well here is the thing. When he commands the crosswind turn, its not clear if I am too close to said 8 oclock viewing flight path or airfield. However, I did finish that flight and as I landed he shouted power gear up and flaps up. Apparently you do it two times, first time as a demo, the second time as evaluation. To control power keep airbrake extended during the 45° roll or as needed, and RPM 87-92. I will keep trying.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I think I know the answer to this but is Kursant a training campaign? I love the L-39 and content is VERY welcome but I'm more into scenarios than training.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

Apparently you do it two times, first time as a demo, the second time as evaluation.

Minor spoilers:

If you have flown the circuit accurately enough to pass the flight, the instructor will tell you to taxi to the parking area once you land.

If you land but have not passed the flight, the instructor will tell you to take off and try again.

If you go too far off the flight profile, you fail the mission outright, and the mission ends mid-air.

Minor spoilers:

If you have flown the circuit accurately enough to pass the flight, the instructor will tell you to taxi to the parking area once you land.

If you land but have not passed the flight, the instructor will tell you to take off and try again.

If you go too far off the flight profile, you fail the mission outright, and the mission ends mid-air.

Ok to start off the 45° parameter is a bit weird to pull with 350 km/h. The manual states level turn at 45 requires almost two Gs, and speed 400 km/h.

I think I know the answer to this but is Kursant a training campaign? I love the L-39 and content is VERY welcome but I'm more into scenarios than training.

Yes, it's absolutely a training campaign. The word "Kursant" actually translates to "Student".

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I'm also stuck on mission 1 - as of yet I can't figure out how to keep my speed that close to 350km/h. This will take a serious improvement in my virtual flying skills but I think that's the whole point - to improve your skillset which then would be able to be applied in a wide variety of other modules and situations.

I suppose I would only recommend this module for folks looking to improve as opposed to just having a good time. I think it's quite good thus far.

That is the point... you have to fly BY THE RULES!!!

I just finished 1. I shall produce a video with remarks.

I am on three... I am taking few tries!! Each.

This is a great campaign. If you dont know shit about RL things, you will. I am stuck... on two now. :lol:

This is a great campaign. If you dont know shit about RL things, you will. I am stuck... on two now. :lol:

Reminds me a little bit of Sabre's great qualification campaigns, although they were more detailed and took a wider range of the training in charge like start-up, shutdown and so on (in several campaigns). It's not for everyone, and requires more commitment, it's not the kind of mission I'd do to relax after a hard day's work, but it helps being and remaining proficient.

Yeah, on 2 also, I think I've drifted a bit too much to the right for the 2nd control point. No message for that, however, the instructor was so upset he wouldn't speak to me anymore ;)

I find it particularly hard to monitor time and spot landmarks while maintaining altitude, this little jet is all over the place really. So still a bit of overhead until maintaining a stable flight becomes second nature. Reading the time when the minute hand is hidden behind the clock hands doesn't make it easier, I've always suspected those chronograph makers to be impractical and fancy ;) Next time I'm trying with my own watch.

EDIT

Actually, having the same in training missions, with runway start, would be helpful.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Reminds me a little bit of Sabre's great qualification campaigns, although they were more detailed and took a wider range of the training in charge like start-up, shutdown and so on (in several campaigns). It's not for everyone, and requires more commitment, it's not the kind of mission I'd do to relax after a hard day's work, but it helps being and remaining proficient.

Yeap, its not a kind of campaign that you would like to fly when being tired after a really hard day in work. It really requires staying focused and paying attention to what's going on. Nevertheless its a great thing for anyone interested in learning more about real procedures and tactics. Esentially different than the training missions which for the most part teach the order in which to flip the switches.

Yeah, on 2 also, I think I've drifted a bit too much to the right for the 2nd control point. No message for that, however, the instructor was so upset he wouldn't speak to me anymore wink.gif

Good for you :thumbup:. I'm stuck on the first nav point which I guess it's a SP (Start Point). I'm confused if I should fly a given course as the briefing says or do a "U" turn as drawn on the kneeboard page.

The bottom line is that this campaign would really benefit from additional documentation.

I find it particularly hard to monitor time and spot landmarks while maintaining altitude, this little jet is all over the place really. So still a bit of overhead until maintaining a stable flight becomes second nature.

Yeap, keeping the flight altitude is a hard work. I'm thinking about adding some curves at least to the pitch channel. Otherwise almost full attention goes into watching altimeter and VVI with not much of "processing power" left for actually navigating.

Ive always suspected those chronograph makers to be impractical and fancy wink.gif Next time I'm trying with my own watch.
Well, be prepared for a "supprise" if you wan't an mechanical, automatic one ;)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I'm stuck on the first nav point which I guess it's a SP (Start Point). I'm confused if I should fly a given course as the briefing says or do a "U" turn as drawn on the kneeboard page.

Are you looking at the page with "1-3" at the bottom left? Don't confuse it with "3-3", which is the last page when you have to return. I think the U-turn you mention is on that last page, and indeed you'll need to join downwind at EP, then land.

But at the beginning, you're at page "1-3", and you must continue on 212° after taking off, then

• at SP turn right from 212° to 265° when you reach the river,
  • at WPT turn right from 265° to 031° above the city (and not left as said by the instructor).

I think the confusing part is that DCS always place you on the page right AFTER the last user kneeboard page, and you have to go backward so you first see the last page. Well, actually you can go forward all the way through lots of page, then you find the custom pages, but that's a bit long ;)

The bottom line is that this campaign would really benefit from additional documentation.

Agreed!

Edited by Redglyph
grrrr

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

U turn on arriving at EP to the left at 45 and 350 so the takeoff course should be on your right SE with a right hook to final. I drifted over 5 km according to my IP. I did not even take a look at the kneeboard. As soon as outer NDB was reached, I continued to the river which is SP then hooked right to 265 for the VIP. I need to map the right knob on the watch. I mapped snap view to instruments so I can hold attitude and airspeed just fine. Winds...

• 3 weeks later...

Recently got into this campaign, and since I'm on 7 now, I can provide a little further feedback.

Like other here, I had my initial struggles with the precision required for missions 1 & 2, despite having flown the Albatros for some time.. The lessons however quickly taught me to control this little plane accurately, and I now find myself doing said procedures, even outside the campaign :D

You'll learn a lot from this campaign, and I find the voice acting very decent and you are rarely left lost and without feedback when you deviate from the flightplan.

Minor spoiler:

As the missions progress, you'll be expose to "random" systems failures, like HSI malfunction. It is assumed that you manage the faults on top of the mission to still get a pass. :joystick:

My one caveat is that the attack parameters for the various weapons does not completely match the manual. Especially the initial bomb is significantly different as it calls for a low-level level-bombing setup, and the later dive-bombing also requires different sight setup and attitude compared to what is described in the manual. Not very different, but just enough to notice, if you've practiced the manuevers from the manual.

9/10 Would purchase again :pilotfly: