L-39C/ZA DLC-Campaign

mwd2

Yes, I'm curious too about the necessity of such a low pattern.

Found a few issues/questions with mission 1.

From the briefing I understand it's still a regular pattern, with take-off, crosswind, downwind, base and final.

However,

(a) after take-off, I am supposed to level at 50-70 m AGL to reach 350 km/h (while managing the landing gear and flaps).

=> the instructor keeps repeating "pitch 10°" and "altitude 200", before I reach 350 - even before I have the opportunity to accelerate.

(b) at 350, 200 m, I'm supposed to turn to crosswind with 45° bank angle.

=> the instructor says to turn to downwind, not crosswind

=> after the turn to crosswind, the instructor keeps repeating "roll 45", yeah... wait a minute will you?

Is there a misunderstanding on how the pattern should be? Seems to be a discrepancy between the instructor and the briefing.

© before turning to base there is something about the RMI and the external scale having to match some value, not sure what it's all about. Do we have to setup the RSBN?

(d) turning to base, it's supposed to be a 45° bank angle at 280 km/h, and flaps to 22° quickly after the turn.

=> the instructor says "turn to the left with a roll of 45 to enter the A landing course of +60°", which has absolutely no meaning to me, and the final turn is supposed to be 30°. What turn is he speaking about? What is the "A" landing course? 60° to what?

(e) after landing,

=> instructor says "you're not maintaining", but the phrase is incomplete.

=> later, instructor says "roll"... yes, I'm rolling on the runway, not sure what he means. Or does he mean I'm not maintaining "bank angle" because he was only expecting 2 turns instead of 4?

(f) I'm told to repeat the pattern (22° flaps, throttle max, ...).

I suspect that this discrepancy between pattern in the briefing and the instructions in flight are the cause of this "failure", but I'll wait for a confirmation before trying again or recording the track.

(g) if the heading is wrong, the instructor says "direction" (instead of "heading"), and the subtitles are in Russian for this particular message (other subtitles are fine).

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

We have already explained to you TWICE that the tower communications have nothing to do with the missions and campaigns.

It's a negligible part of any mission, so I don't see why you are making such a fuss out of it and hammering on this small detail. There are subtitles in English for those communications and it's more immersive since you are at a Russian airbase.

If you still have to insist on that point, take it up with Eagle Dynamics and add it to the wishlist for DCS world in the support section, it has nothing to do in this thread.

First I was asked so I answered. And you are right are right it is at a Russian base so why have English unilingual student pilots. second It says its in English so that's what I expected anyway subject is closed for those that enjoy this great it is a good mission but I was expecting something and got something else. also my initial question was about this thread it just went south when I answered the question asked of me. I will not post anymore on this as for me, its case closed thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

(a) after take-off, I am supposed to level at 50-70 m AGL to reach 350 km/h (while managing the landing gear and flaps).

=> the instructor keeps repeating "pitch 10°" and "altitude 200", before I reach 350 - even before I have the opportunity to accelerate.

You're not supposed to level. Just keep taking off with 10° pitch up. Level when at 200 meters AGL and 350 KIAS. During the take off:

- at 15 m and IAS > 200 km/h rise the landing gear.

- at 50-70 m and IAS > 250 retract the flaps.

(b) at 350, 200 m, I'm supposed to turn to crosswind with 45° bank angle.

=> the instructor says to turn to downwind, not crosswind

=> after the turn to crosswind, the instructor keeps repeating "roll 45", yeah... wait a minute will you?

The briefing doesn't say it's a crosswind turn. It only refers to it as a "first turn". It's really a singe continues 180 deg turn at 45 bank through the crosswind to the downwind.

If performed this way - single 180 deg, 45 deg bank turn until leveling at heading ~219 deg, the instructor will not complain.

© before turning to base there is something about the RMI and the external scale having to match some value, not sure what it's all about. Do we have to setup the RSBN?

(d) turning to base, it's supposed to be a 45° bank angle at 280 km/h, and flaps to 22° quickly after the turn.

=> the instructor says "turn to the left with a roll of 45 to enter the A landing course of +60°", which has absolutely no meaning to me, and the final turn is supposed to be 30°. What turn is he speaking about? What is the "A" landing course? 60° to what?

If you try to turn on the RSBN system the instructor will order you to shut it off commenting that it's a visual flight :). Nice touch from the mission designers.

There are two references to the RMI setting. First is setting it to 39 deg which is the runway heading. Obviously this is the takeoff and landing heading attitude as also the opposite direction can be used to determine the moment to exit from the 180 deg turn to downwind.

Another reference is when turning to the base - which is not a single 180 deg turn but a sequence of two turns where first one is ~120 deg one. The instructor says to finish the first turn when the ADI/RMI shows 60 deg more than the runway heading (39+60 = 99). Then when the runway visually is at ~15 deg, execute second turn which is the turn to the final. Extend the flaps to landing position at exit.

(e) after landing,

=> instructor says "you're not maintaining", but the phrase is incomplete.

=> later, instructor says "roll"... yes, I'm rolling on the runway, not sure what he means. Or does he mean I'm not maintaining "bank angle" because he was only expecting 2 turns instead of 4?

(f) I'm told to repeat the pattern (22° flaps, throttle max, ...).

I suspect that this discrepancy between pattern in the briefing and the instructions in flight are the cause of this "failure", but I'll wait for a confirmation before trying again or recording the track.

Yeap, I guess the triggers are misbehaving a bit. I got that message basically every time the pattern had to be repeated due to pilot mistakes but its strange to get that message after the landing.

Anyway there is a clear message if the pattern was done accurately and the mission is passed.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

You're not supposed to level. Just keep taking off with 10° pitch up. Level when at 200 meters AGL and 350 KIAS. During the take off:

- at 15 m and IAS > 200 km/h rise the landing gear.

- at 50-70 m and IAS > 250 retract the flaps.

It's not entirely clear, quoting the briefing "At an altitude of 50-70m and speed of not less than 250 km/h, retract the flaps. When speed of 350 km/h has been reached, set the RPM to 100% and continue climbing with an acceleration to 350 km/h to 200m.". I wouldn't directly have a 10° pitch with a low speed, usually patterns have a low-climb part in which the airplane accelerates to climb speed. The briefind does not mention to climb initially, but it does mention to "continue climbing with an acceleration to 350 km/h". Perhaps badly worded, but I understand it as, now you resume climbing and you "accelerate" to maintain your 350 km/h (by "accelerate" I suppose it's most probably meaning more RPM since this speed has already been reached, the only need to increase the throttle would be if the climbing actually starts there). And this is also the first part mentioning any climb.

Perhaps just the 10° pitch check should be delayed a bit until a proper speed is obtained.

The briefing doesn't say it's a crosswind turn. It only refers to it as a "first turn". It's really a singe continues 180 deg turn at 45 bank through the crosswind to the downwind.

If performed this way - single 180 deg, 45 deg bank turn until leveling at heading ~219 deg, the instructor will not complain.

The first turn leads to crosswind per definition ;) I don't see any instruction for a continuous turn, it just says both 1st turn and 2nd turn have to be at 200 m and so on. There wouldn't be a 1st and 2nd turn if that were only one continuous turn... "The first and second turns must be performed together at altitude of 200m, a speed of 350 km/h, and a roll of 45°. When exiting the second turn, you should be on the downwind leg. Maintain a speed of 350 km/h and an altitude of 200m." They don't specify how far to go on crosswind, but that'd probably be when the threshold is on the 8 o'clock (and not the usual 45° which is used for civil aviation).

If we must perform one continuous 180° turn, I'd choose another explicit phrasing to remove any possible confusion, since it's not common.

If you try to turn on the RSBN system the instructor will order you to shut it off commenting that it's a visual flight :). Nice touch from the mission designers.

There are two references to the RMI setting. First is setting it to 39 deg which is the runway heading. Obviously this is the takeoff and landing heading attitude as also the opposite direction can be used to determine the moment to exit from the 180 deg turn to downwind.

Another reference is when turning to the base - which is not a single 180 deg turn but a sequence of two turns where first one is ~120 deg one. The instructor says to finish the first turn when the ADI/RMI shows 60 deg more than the runway heading (39+60 = 99). Then when the runway visually is at ~15 deg, execute second turn which is the turn to the final. Extend the flaps to landing position at exit.

Nice touch indeed :)

Thanks for the explanation, that wasn't entirely clear to me, especially since I was convinced there was an ambiguity with the crosswind/base legs.

Yeap, I guess the triggers are misbehaving a bit. I got that message basically every time the pattern had to be repeated due to pilot mistakes but its strange to get that message after the landing.

Anyway there is a clear message if the pattern was done accurately and the mission is passed.

Setting full-proof triggers is always a nightmare with such training missions. If some of the tests could be done in Lua that would probably make it much easier. Perhaps one day when we're able to read the aircraft state (RMI, speed, and so on)...

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all those questions! :)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Got it to load after a couple explanations as to the problem I was having...

Now another question.. I cannot get the ENGLISH version to work. I try to start up tutorial for example and it is in Russian, and Even the starting mission with the start up tutorial is in Russian. Is there a way to change it to English as I am extremely disappointed in it if I cannot as it looks like I bought something I cant use.. Also When I go threw the start up I cannot get the RALT+HOME buttons to move the throttle to idle.. I use a X 52 pro stick and I cannot even rebind it to get it to work using different buttons or bindings.

I do understand it is a Russian Plane at a Russian base but the description DID SAY It was in ENGLISH so I was expecting it to be in ENGLISH also.

Edited by retired_old_sarge

I agree with you. I got it also after reading it was also in English to find it in Russian. I cannot even get threw the first part because if having to read it instead of being able to listen to the tutorial... To bad they are going to say... Its A Russian Plane... they sure did miss lead me into spending my money on it.

I also cannot get my RALT+HOME button to put the throttle into idle so I can start the engine.

Got it to load after a couple explanations as to the problem I was having...

Now another question.. I cannot get the ENGLISH version to work. I try to start up tutorial for example and it is in Russian, and Even the starting mission with the start up tutorial is in Russian.

Is there a way to change it to English as I am extremely disappointed in it if I cannot as it looks like I bought something I cant use.

Just to clear this up, I think you may be confusing the two training packages for the L-39.

• Firstly, the L-39 Aircraft module you purchase initially has a basic training package of 8 missions, this one does not have any English voice overs in any of the missions, it is all Russian voice overs regardless of locale (EN, RU, CN, CS, DE), so unless some one records them into English and adds them you can't ever get English voice instructions in the game.
  • Secondly, the L-39 DLC (Kursant) training package of 11 missions at $9.99 does indeed have both English and Russian voice overs in all missions, so I assume if you have an English install of DCS you will get English Voice instructions, if you have a Russian install of DCS you will get all Russian voice instructions.
  • Thirdly, I am not too sure on how you might force an English version of DCS to use all Russian voice and subtitle instructions in a mission if you so desired, I thought you would do it in the "Mission Planner" were you can choose the locale you want EN or RU, IE: it works for the next briefing page when you change to RU, the title and briefing are all in Russian, but when you get into the aircraft the briefing is all back in English and so are the voice instructions. (I will attempt to get to the bottom of this).

Also When I go threw the start up I cannot get the RALT+HOME buttons to move the throttle to idle.. I use a X 52 pro stick and I cannot even rebind it to get it to work using different buttons or bindings.

With most training packages you can't always use your hotas or keyboard keys to do stuff, it is deliberatly disabled until you do what is asked of you in the training, then the next control will be enabled and so forth.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I also cannot get my RALT+HOME button to put the throttle into idle so I can start the engine.

It looks like an old bug, I have the same problem. You have to move your throttle a little bit after starting the simulation, and before pressing the RALT+HOME otherwise it won't register it.

Usually in DCS, the settings of the controllers are not read when the sim starts, only the first time you change them. That's a bug I think I've reported about 3 years ago and only got a reply that this synchronization was supposed to be for the A-10C only, which didn't sound convincing.

Your ticket #43028 has been updated.

< message added >

ANSWER (and view all correspondence):

For email answering please keep the ticket number in the subject and DO NOT QUOTE CORRESPONDENCE!

Subject: Settings synchronization with devices not working as expected

This feature was planned to use with A-10C only.

Probably we will make some changes for Uh-1H.

Another bug report (still no forum?) - mission 2

The instructor says to turn left on WPT ;)

Screen_180520_220733.jpg.5b6b06e735c2e751502530b599811bc9.jpg

I completed mission 1 successfully (I was told I completed it successfully) I taxi'd to the ramp, and then shut down, left the mission, reviewed the track (I wanted to watch the results) and then it told me that I was not listening (during the playback!?) - now the mission is showing as not completed, so I seem to have to run it again.

What did I do wrong?

• ED Team
I completed mission 1 successfully (I was told I completed it successfully) I taxi'd to the ramp, and then shut down, left the mission, reviewed the track (I wanted to watch the results) and then it told me that I was not listening (during the playback!?) - now the mission is showing as not completed, so I seem to have to run it again.

What did I do wrong?

Did you press this button? It saves the result.

3OcglUc.jpg

Good to know... that's obviously a very nasty bug worth reporting in DCS 2.5.

You can edit your %PROFILE%\Saved Games\<DCS>\MissionEditor\logbook.lua file to force the mission as a success, but make a backup of that file first, it's easily broken!

EDIT: Found back a link to an explanation on how to change the logbook. Don't do it if you don't feel comfortable with it.

Edited by Redglyph

Thank you - that's helpful.

I've realized there is something else that troublesome about mission 1 that causes me confusion

I don't have the exact nomenclature in front of me - but when taxiing out to the runway - the instructor provides an overview of what is expected and says something to the effect of - in relation to turn 3 'the right time to retract the gear'.

This lead me to assume it was some sort of strange flyby without any actual landing - and this caused me to waste 1-2 hours of getting 'second attempt' having to go around again until I realized that it should say 'extend the landing gear' - not retract

Since there was no instructions regarding lowering altitude for landing after turn 4 (that there should be a turn 4 is also easy to lose amongst the instructions because everything else is called out so specificicaly and it's kind of thrown in the instructions on turn 3) - and as I just mentioned everthing else is so very precise in terms of direction- I had assumed i would fail the mission for dropping altitude and doing a touchdown.

These factors combined caused a lot of confusion (retract landing gear + no instructions to go for a touchdown other than to follow the glide path)

It was only through trial and error that I realized the instructions are imo incomplete/misleading - however perhaps it was painfully obvious to others who have more experience with flight. I'm not sure

While DCS is a lot of fun - it's these little broken piece (including the save bug) that make it hard to really enjoy. I personally just don't have time (sadly) to spend 1-3 hours trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do - and fail over and over again followed by a save error when I finally succeeded (and spend another 3-4 hours re-doing it)

WATCH TRACK = LOST PROGRESS

The right way:

1. Save track

2. End mission

3. Replay

t4XkGSI.jpg

Another bug report (still no forum?) - mission 2

The instructor says to turn left on WPT ;)

Bug still there in 2.5.2.17559.377 (if the campaign's author still cares, seems not to be around anymore)

LOCATE THE CITY TO YOUR LEFT. TURN OVER ITS CENTER TO A COURSE OF 31°.

that's right?

You missed a word, see the screenshot again ;) - "TURN LEFT OVER[...]"

Then there are all the other issues in mission 1.

• ED Team
You missed a word, see the screenshot again ;) - "TURN LEFT OVER[...]"

I specifically deleted the word LEFT. Without the word LEFT the phrase reads normally?

Then there are all the other issues in mission 1.

Show how you fly this mission. Track or video.

I specifically deleted the word LEFT. Without the word LEFT the phrase reads normally?

Ah, that's what you meant, I suppose it's better, yes, or it could say "turn right".

But I'm confused now, are you the developer of the campaign, or is this mwd2?

• ED Team
Ah, that's what you meant, I suppose it's better, yes, or it could say "turn right".

But I'm confused now, are you the developer of the campaign, or is this mwd2?

Thank you, the changed files should be in a new update. I participated in the development.