Question about Albatros weapon system.

foxbat155

Hi,

It's really great addition to DCS, I'm surprised how this small aircraft it's enjoyable to fly , thanks devs for your hard work.

I would ask you about SRD-5MK rangefinder, can we expect implementation this part of L-39 equipment in future?. Thanks. Regards.

• 2 years later...
I would ask you about SRD-5MK rangefinder, can we expect implementation this part of L-39 equipment in future?. Thanks. Regards.

Has anybody found an answer to this? Why hasn't the SRD been implemented?

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

Correct me if im wrong but i dont think it was originally planned for the aircraft, at least i never remember seeing it on the feature list

DCS Modules: UH1H | F/A18C | FC3 | Hawk | L-39 | AV8B | Viggen | Combined Arms | F-14 | F-16 | Yak-52

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

Maybe ED does not have information on the piece of equipment i'm afraid. The hard part of modules is classification and contracts... The model and code part is easy however.

You do not have to worry .... ED has enough information.

I already answered this somewhere but the information available says that the system was installed only in the early models and then dropped completely due to its unreliability. There wasn't anything replacing it on the C and ZA.

Right GeorgeLKMT. The problem with the system was during the tests and during the operation of the Air Force in the first series (probably I did not detect the failure). And for this reason he was not assembled in the aircraft ... for example, for the USSR Air Force from the tenth series.

The problem with the system was during the tests and during the operation of the Air Force in the first series (probably I did not detect the failure). And for this reason he was not assembled in the aircraft ... for example, for the USSR Air Force from the tenth series.

The GDR ones had the systems installed and used. Later on, it turned out that they were pretty useless for their intended use (firing IR missiles), so they were disconnected, but left inside the aircraft for weight reasons.

The GDR ones had the systems installed and used. Later on, it turned out that they were pretty useless for their intended use (firing IR missiles), so they were disconnected, but left inside the aircraft for weight reasons.

so they were disconnected but stayed inside the aircraft for serious reasons ....

I can not agree with that.

I write what I've searched in my archives and the sources I have. As I know, all versions of L-39C / ZA / ZO were produced in several subversions (or series). So let's take a look at the ZO version (because it was only in the GDR). The first user was Iraq version ZO.1 in 1976. Other users have become Libya, Syria and GDR. These were fully equipped aircraft except for Libya, which was supplied with aircraft but without the KVANT system .... Further version ZO.2 was delivered only to Syria and were delivered without the RSBN system. On the other hand, I have the information ZO.4 and ZO.5 for GDR have been improved (these were different connectors for ground source connection). And from another source I have to write. At the end of 1971, a prototype X-07 was verified with the KVANT designed for target capture training. However, due to its operational problems, it was only a small number of aircraft in the first series. And information on version C.1 intended for Czechoslovakia and the USSR. They were equipped with RT-11 radios and KVANT (in the USSR only in the tenth series), and from the tenth series were equipped with SDU command line and from the eleventh series with the new R-832M radio.

And information on version C.1 intended for Czechoslovakia and the USSR. They were equipped with RT-11 radios and KVANT (in the USSR only in the tenth series), and from the tenth series were equipped with SDU command line and from the eleventh series with the new R-832M radio.

And so according to my information .... yes the system was installed only in the first series but during the service it was found that the system suffers from frequent faults and therefore it stopped installing.

But if you have more accurate information, I'd like to know more.

But if you have more accurate information, I'd like to know more.

The system stayed inside the aircraft for balance reasons. This information comes from a former GDR air force pilot and flight instructor who was based in FAG-25 Bautzen where all GDR pilots were trained on L-29 / L-39. He also lectured at the Military Academy. His name is Dr. Rainer Goepfert.

The reasons for being disconnected were not "frequent faults", but other reasons as I already wrote here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3327513&postcount=78

I'm not stating this is 100% correct, but I guess a man like him should know what he's talking about.

My previous information were from Mr. Jakub Fojtik, the author of the book (ISBN 978-80-89169-37-5). Today I had some time and got some more precise information from Mr. Miroslav Hájek (a former technician and later main technician of Slovak Biele Albatrosy aerobatic group). After a bit lenghty telephone call I was told this: First versions of L-39 were equipped with this because their primary task was to train pilots for MiG-21 F variant that had been equipped with this system and were primary fighters for Czechoslovakia at that time. Regarding any failures mr. Hájek told me that these versions had no major problem. And now the important part. After some time new versions of mig-21 came into service and these were equipped with radars and therefore the training structure started to change. Due to this change some later L-39s were not equipped with this system as it has been considered as unnecessary. In place of the system were installed some other pieces of electronics and required cables. To replace the weight of the system (the KVANT system weighed 70 kg) were usually steel plates installed to ballance the plane.

That's a great piece of information.

We can still answer the original question of "why is SRD-5 not implemented" with "it wasn't installed", because ED most likely had access to a bird and documentation which was produced and delivered to russia after the removal of the system.

I'm glad we're getting into the meat of it, my previous (and the only available) information was from l-39.cz website where the author only wrote that the system was removed since the 12th production series and that's it. In the meantime, I actually asked him for clarification, but I've yet to hear from him...

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

Like he said, early models of the L-39 has this implemented but due to its unreliability it was taken out, so I guess rather ED wanted to use the more modern block units.

Please stop spreading the fairy tale that it was unreliable. Not very useful in daily training, yes, unnecessary, yes, but certainly not unreliable.

• 1 month later...
Please stop spreading the fairy tale that it was unreliable. Not very useful in daily training, yes, unnecessary, yes, but certainly not unreliable.
Yeah. Reliable but eventually became useless as training goals changed and R-3S missile launch parameters couldn't be met with L-39.

But that was a interesting point really in they link, three limitations of R-3S missile seeker for 3 seconds, limited to 2G And 1400-4400m range while minimal launch speed Mach 0.8.

Looks like a Mig-21Bis module requires little tweaking if not already so.

That kind limitations are what makes older weapons and vehicles obsolete, but interesting.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.