y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
y2kiah

Default y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

I suppose it's time I started a thread. Since I haven't actually started construction yet, I'll probably start by posting some pics of my home built CNC. I hope to get it up and running within the next week or so.

For now, here is the first of many panels to come, to be cut and engraved on the CNC. I split the light plate into an upper and lower half since they will require different cuts. The actual material will just be a single piece of acrylic, flipped over for the back side cut.

just the base plate...

base plate with lower half of the light plate (disregard the color)...

just the top half of the light plate...

full panel, with DZUS...
y2kiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
rocketeer

I envy you guys with home CNC. My cheapo solution is to manually saw and drill holes on acrylic and print out on photo paper.
rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Alex_rcpilot

Another great thread. Good job with the 3D model.
Alex_rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Maximus

Send a message via MSN to Maximus

Nice, please inculde the measurements if possible.
ASUS P7P55D-Deluxe, Core I7 860, Corsair 4Gb PC-1600, Velicoraptor SATA HD, Corsair 750w PS, Geforce 9800GTX+, 8600GS, 40 Samsung HDTV 1080p, 22" samsung LCD, 20.4 Samsung LCD. CH products, MFD Cougar and too much to list
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Duckling

Looks great y2kiah

Eny you on the CNC, would be great to have :-)

Watch up for the guidepins of the toggles If you plan to use real toggles, the small hole needed for the notch that hold them fixated to the baseplate is easy to forget.

Will you have the mechanism for the RCVR bolted under the baseplate or in the frame ?
I had to take out some extra width for the cutout. Havn't seen the real Quad sideways so first setup needed some adjustments

/Gus
Duckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
y2kiah

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckling View Post
Looks great y2kiah

Watch up for the guidepins of the toggles If you plan to use real toggles, the small hole needed for the notch that hold them fixated to the baseplate is easy to forget.

Will you have the mechanism for the RCVR bolted under the baseplate or in the frame ?
I had to take out some extra width for the cutout. Havn't seen the real Quad sideways so first setup needed some adjustments

/Gus
I won't be using real toggles, too expensive. Instead, I based my cutouts on the actual hardware I will be using. The switches I have unfortunately don't have an anti-torque notch, but you can see the notch cut out for the rotary switch. I do plan to compensate for twisting on the toggles, just not sure how yet.

Good point on the RCVR mechanism. I've studied your pictures and I think I will mount it to the back plate. I'll place the holes for standoffs once I design that component. I may decide to use a pot with a center detent for that lever, or I may use two microswitches as you did. If I use a pot, it will be a simple matter of edge detection to determine when it goes from CLOSE to OPEN and vice-versa. I'd also like some kind of spring action to slightly pull the lever to one side or another from the mid point, with no pull at the mid point. I'll have to think about that one.

Measurements:
The only measurements I'm sure are accurate are the overall dimensions, and the DZUS positions. Other than that, the cutouts are meant for the specific hardware that I will be using, so your results may vary.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Duckling

Setup of RCVR lever I made is less then perfect. It works but the gap on center of the bottom pin (pivot point) make the lever twist somewhat and feels too sloppy right now. Tighten the bolt mean to much friction so I need to replace the wachers with something less rough materials.

First idea for mech was a 45 degree rotary switch but I could't find a way to fixate the lever on the shaft. If you find good solution, I'm all ears :-)

I'll use a spring (just now a rubberband :-) to apply needed force to have the lever to stay in place when activated the microswitches.
Position points of the "spring" is below the bottom pivot point and the upper guidepin seated on the lever itself.

Cheers
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
stelios2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer View Post
I envy you guys with home CNC. My cheapo solution is to manually saw and drill holes on acrylic and print out on photo paper.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Cheaply-and-/
stelios2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
y2kiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckling View Post
Setup of RCVR lever I made is less then perfect. It works but the gap on center of the bottom pin (pivot point) make the lever twist somewhat and feels too sloppy right now. Tighten the bolt mean to much friction so I need to replace the wachers with something less rough materials.

First idea for mech was a 45 degree rotary switch but I could't find a way to fixate the lever on the shaft. If you find good solution, I'm all ears :-)

I'll use a spring (just now a rubberband :-) to apply needed force to have the lever to stay in place when activated the microswitches.
Position points of the "spring" is below the bottom pivot point and the upper guidepin seated on the lever itself.

Cheers
I started the design for the fuel lever, just wanted to quickly post what I have so far. It's designed to be built out of only a few common materials:
1) 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum angle
2) 1/8" aluminum sheet
3) 1/4" bolts, nuts, washers
4) #8 machine screws, nuts, washers
5) glue for bonding metal
6) magnets

I decided to use a magnet on each side of the lever's travel, not shown in the screenshot but would be attached just below the microswitches on each side of the contact point. This will provide exactly what I'm looking for - a positive snapping action on each side of travel and no obvious pull in the center, minor resistance to movement out of a position, force to keep microswitch pressed.

The lever has 30 deg. total travel, 15 to each side. The routed arc near the top of the plate will have a bolt through it from the lever to provide lateral stability and adjustable friction (will use some non-metallic washer as a friction disk, tightened with a wing nut.

To address the issue you talked about with wobbling of the lever around the shaft, I will use a bearing block with a 1/4" bore. The block will be secured to the plate with small screws, and the shaft will be secured to the outsides of the bearing on each side with a nut or washer+nut combination, which will make contact only with the inner ring of the bearing, thus tightening the shaft for stability, but allowing it to rotate freely with no friction. I learned this little trick from the guy at www.buildyourcnc.com - he builds his linear bearings using bolts, nuts, and skate bearings, which I've done for my CNC build as well.

Last edited by y2kiah; 04-02-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Duckling

Looking good y2kiah. I'll probably "snatch" the idea for bearing supported bolt, thanks.

Thought of another thing, the rotary you'd use for the RCVR light, whats your plan of how to use it ?
I use a 10k linear pot in that pos (still non interfaced though) to be connected to the A/D input on the MasterCard (O.C) I weight that option against a Gray encoder and selected based on price only . Don't know if the upcoming DCS 10C would have support for RCVR light or not. If not I'll might place some white LEDs in front of the pit for the fun if it..

/Gus

Tags
a-10, a-10c warthog, cockpit, cockpit building, home-built