VR overlay - Any useable ones?

viper2097

Before VR, I used to have Google Chrome opened on my second monitor to show the GAW GCI map, HOTAS bindings, Chucks guide or even tutorial videos.

This is something I'm really missing in VR.

So far, I have found some programs which could do that also in VR:

OVR Drop:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/586210/OVRdrop/ - 9,99€

Last reviews mainly negativ. Seems to not work everytime.

From the reviews, it seems like it would work without controllers. (Just hotkeys and mouse)

Daily VR:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/793190/DailyVR/ - 10,79€, free Demo

Last reviews seems to be good.

No information found if it is possible to operate it without controllers.

OVR Toolkit:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068820/OVR_Toolkit/ - 9,99€

Last reviews seems to be good.

It is not possible to operate it without controllers. Dev want to add it, but not a priority.

So what are you useing?

Any other good solution?

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

This is a very good topic!

For me, it would need to be an overlay that works without controllers as picking them up and putting them down in DCS is a pain.

I might try the Daily VR demo as it is the only one you listed that might not need controllers.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, that scratchpad is useful, but not really what viper2097 is talking about.

Need something that can overlay manuals, videos etc. that we can interact with while playing DCS.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

OK, so I installed VR daily demo, and although a tutorial pops up on my PC desktop, I can't see how to use this in VR.

If anybody can work it out, please let me know. Looks potentially useful.

If you are using a Rift, you can "grab" a window from the virtual desktop and pull it into VR space. Then pin in and it will stay in the VR game. You can still move and scale it as well. I use to do this a lot with dash apps for racing in vr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is a way to do what you want with WMR headsets as well, I just don't know how.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

May I add my project to the list?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=246970

Also, I'm looking for people willing to test and report troubles and ideas.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

It has two modes of operation. At the current state, both will require some hardware, mostly for writing.

• Full featured tabled (Windows, Android to come) in client/server. This will use the tablet touch and pen as a slave device (first video) and some pictures in the post.
  • Standalone with a pen tablet which is a "recent" name for digitizers a.k.a graphic tablets. These are cheap USB or Bluetooth devices that brings pen input to any PC.

What VRK does different to any other VR overlay is:

• Writing, of course
  • Minimal CPU usage because VR is updated only when needed (and not at constant rate)
  • Not requires to take the window focus away from DCS when you write or navigate

On the other side you can't put any application in it. But as soon as you don't need dynamic content and you can generate a PDF of the content you may not need that complexity. In my experience it is the 99% of what you need in flight and it is the closest thing to reality.

Still, other type of tabs may be added in the future.

Future plans include the support for VR controllers to navigate "documentation", BTW without any pen you will lose the big feature IMHO.

Going back to your question: it's unclear to me what you mean with controlling via chrome tab. Can you describe the use case you have in mind?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

WMR has that functionality built in. It’s just came out with last month’s Windows update. I can pull in, size, and move pretty much anything like the desktop, a browser, a document, or an external camera view. It’s pretty neat.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

So you need dynamic content after all. You won't notice in the current state, but I removed the browser in 1.1.

I will keep this feature away until the implementation of VR controllers because, without them, interacting with the browser disturbs DCS (due to the focus change I mentioned in my previous post).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Thick8, have you managed to get that working? I was not able to "drag the window with me" to SteamVR...

Once you are in game just hit the windows button on the controller. Then just choose the app you want to open. I'm on both the SteamVR and SteamWMR beta. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I usually just open the desktop and full screen what I want. You do have to alt+tab to switch focus. I bought a couple of aircraft since going VR but haven’t properly learned them because I couldn’t access youtube’s Training videos. I may now be able to get a handle on the A8V now.

I usually just open the desktop and full screen what I want. You do have to alt+tab to switch focus. I bought a couple of aircraft since going VR but haven’t properly learned them because I couldn’t access youtube’s Training videos. I may now be able to get a handle on the A8V now.

I presume you mean the AV-8B - apologies if I've got that wrong. Bit off topic, but the training missions for the Harrier are second to none thanks to Baltic Dragon. Very comprehensive and well scripted. Much more useful than YT vids to get to grips with the Harrier IMO.

Yes. Auto correct corrected then I re-corrected incorrectly. I have been going through the in game training as well. They are very well done.

Edited by Thick8

• 1 month later...

I have an Oculus Rift, and I just tried out OVR Toolkit and HelloV.

OVR Toolkit works great but not in DCS(non-steam version). The Developer said I should try running DCS in Win7 mode, but it won't run in Win7. So I couldn't get it to work.

I then tried HelloV. I had it working about a year ago. But couldn't get it to display a .png or .jpg. I tried it again today and it won't display the Circle(main menu button) at all when I tap my head. RedKite has a video of using it, but I couldn't get it to work.

Does anyone have any other tools or suggestions? I loved OVR Toolkit because you can make the windows to be invisible until you lean closer to them, then they appear. That was very handy!!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download