Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

These where false warnings in the PTC branch for a awhile.

The latest Oculus beta should have removed it.

The USB update error came when I updated win 10 to 1903 feature update.

This update also caused my inateck card to stop working with the S.

But my regular 3.0 port on my mobo works fine.

The 3.1 port on the other hand introduced a display glitch on had movement.

And the "headset unable to track itself" I think was introduced with the ptc update that vid the white flashes.

As for the 2080ti, that would depend a bit of what you are running for the rest of the system.

The S can be rather tricky.

I find even sometimes different ports, even though they are contented to the same control chip I got variable nose or connection issues

What exactly is your display glitch with head movement? Mine goes from working perfectly to all of a sudden not tracking properly anymore. The tracking itself however based on my real head movement is fine, however the menu moves with my head. So basically if I lean in to see the menu closer, the menu leans in with me and stays at the same distance

As for my 2080ti update.... I will have to update CPU and MB as wel down the road. I’m only running an i7 7700.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This update also caused my inateck card to stop working with the S.

Try to uninstall Inateck drivers and stay with the ones the W10 offers.

That works for me.

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

Guys, what is the best settings for Rift?

That really is so system dependent, best is to start low and just work your way up to what is acceptable to you.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

While the Rift S has what could be considered a “fixed”IPD” between the lenses, you can set your IPD in the Rift S software. I use the RH controller for setup, so I press the almost flush button, diagonally across from the hat switch. It has the Oculus symbol. That brings up a window from which you can select your library and stuff. Use the controller pointer to select the “Settings” icon. Select the headset, and you’ll be able to set your IPD in the software. It replaces the hard adjustment that moved the lenses in the CV1.

...and it's pretty useless.

According to that software setting, you can go all the way up to 72mm, yet mine is 69mm and the FoV was a joke. If not, I'd still own it.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

...and it's pretty useless.

According to that software setting, you can go all the way up to 72mm, yet mine is 69mm and the FoV was a joke. If not, I'd still own it.

I didn't have any issues with the FOV on the S. I'm constantly looking around though so maybe that negates the FOV.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

The FOV being fuzzy in the peripheral vision doesn’t bother me at all. I wear progressive lenses for regular glasses, and a single lens prescription set for when i’m Using the computer. The vision area of the progressives is so small that only a few words are in focus in the center of the lenses. Think looking through a keyhole. Single strength lenses give you a greater area of focus, but aren’t really any better in the peripheral vision. I’m so used to turning my head to see something in focus, that I never even noticed the fuzzy sides until I read about it here., so it’s a nonissue to me.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Depends whether you're willing to look through a pipe...

You're the first I've seen disputing this point.

Whatever, though - good for you, if you're content with it.

I also find no issues with the FOV, it would be somewhat extreme to say" looking through a pipe" in my opinion. Much easier to read dials too

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Depends whether you're willing to look through a pipe...

You're the first I've seen disputing this point.

Whatever, though - good for you, if you're content with it.

I also find no issues with the FOV, it would be somewhat extreme to say" looking through a pipe" in my opinion. Much easier to read dials too

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Index is H:110° x V:100° Vs Rift S H:91° x V: 86°

Source: ETR test in virtual lab

PPD (Pixel Per Degree) calculation on vertical plan:

Index: 1600p/ 100° = 16 PPD

Rift S: 1440p/ 86° = 16.7 PPD

At the end of the day, the question is do you want to put twice the price of Rift S ?

Personal choice. There are some good objectives reasons to do so, like if your IPD is too far from Rift S average target of 64mm.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Just got my Rift S today, i`m chasing opinions on which settings to use, or is there a general complete guide(i`ve searched here) on Nvidia cp, rift settings and in game dcs settings, I`m really happy with VR so far but looking to refine the view, it`s very pixelated and suffers jittering when i move my head.

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

Is anyone having issues with the Rift S? It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I take it off my head for a moment and put it back on the graphics stutter to the point where it is unplayable. It is like everything is in slow motion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VF-111 Sundowners

Carrier Group One

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Carrier Group One Discord

Just got my Rift S today, i`m chasing opinions on which settings to use, or is there a general complete guide(i`ve searched here) on Nvidia cp, rift settings and in game dcs settings, I`m really happy with VR so far but looking to refine the view, it`s very pixelated and suffers jittering when i move my head.

Super Sampling 1.5 (in DebugTool or Pixel Density in DCS World options) and MSAA x2 should make it looks good.

I mostly set Nvidia to “Controlled by application”.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

For multiplayer

qXPuawx.png

Note, changing any setting other than anti-aliasing (PD, MSAA) affects CPU as well as GPU, these settings will free up CPU enough to play on a busy multiplayer map

For a Rift S, with a 1080 or equivalent GPU, you can run PD 1.2 (it's on the VR settings tab) or MSAAx2 but not both.

If you have more GPU, you can increase PD and/or add in MSAA until images start to stutter in rotation, meaning, if you're looking out the side window, or moving your head around.

For single player, add in shadows, trees or whatever floats your boat. You may have to back off on anti-aliasing a bit.

To start off, let your application control anti-aliasing. That means leave driver and steam settings at default.

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I have an i9-990K a 2080TI 32GB ram so why cant I get more than 40 FPS with Rift S when I use crtl/pause it shows very little CPU usage so its not a bottleneck issue. I also have the Reverb that I can get to 90 FPS using steam but alas since I cant use my glasses in it, it needs to go back

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I have an i9-990K a 2080TI 32GB ram so why cant I get more than 40 FPS with Rift S when I use crtl/pause it shows very little CPU usage so its not a bottleneck issue. I also have the Reverb that I can get to 90 FPS using steam but alas since I cant use my glasses in it, it needs to go back
You could get those VR lense inserts for your Reverb. Price is usually around $70 or so.

I haven't tried my Reverb yet, but I can wear glasses in my Rift S just fine with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

I use a PD of 1.0 with my Rift S and it looks good. I can read the MFDs easy. MSAA on 4x and AF on 16x.

I think its the Rift S that limits the frame rate to 40. My system (see below) shows 40 frames as well but I have PD set to 1.5 MSAA at 2, and rest of setting high. Even when I disable AWS it makes no deference in frame rate, however rift runs very smooth, no stuttering or other issue

Because the core DCS engine can't use more than a single CPU thread, unlike most newer games that could easily make full use of dozens of threads.

Since it only has one thread to work it just can't complete it's workload per frame in manner quick enough that the VR runtime won't trigger motion smoothing or SpaceWarp.

Windows rotate load across cores and threads, and considers all the available threads as 100%, so if a single thread from a process is maxed out, any task manager won't show more than that thread spread over all the core graphs and a CPU with 12 threads won't show more than 8% utilisation.

So as a picture that cou basically looks like it's idling.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I hate Rift S, this stupid cameras loosing tracking every night, and days. Resolution is better, but CV1 is 1000% time better for me. Awesome speakers, and they not loose tracking in night. I have both, but i use now only CV1. Its shame for Oculus release S worst product than older CV1. :/

i7 6700k / Gtx 1070 / 32GB DDR4 / SSD / Warthog / 2 MFD / Saitek Rudders / RiftCV1 / Rift S...

A10C / F5 / F14 / F16 / F18 / M2000 / HARRIER / FC3 / HUEY / GAZELLE / MI-8 / MI-24 / KA-50 / KIOWA / CB ARMS / SUPER CARRIER / PERSIAN GULF / NEVADA

I hate Rift S, this stupid cameras loosing tracking every night, and days. Resolution is better, but CV1 is 1000% time better for me. Awesome speakers, and they not loose tracking in night. I have both, but i use now only CV1. Its shame for Oculus release S worst product than older CV1. :/

I have the opposite experience, the tracking on the S has been nothing but an upgrade as well.

Something isn't right and I would recommend starting a support ticket with Oculus.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

While the Rift S tracking hasn't been quite as good as the CV1, between good lighting and recent patches, it isn't bad at all. A recent patch/firmware upgrade finally fixed my intermittent mic problem, too. So right now, the Rift S is working very well for me. I would only go back the to CV1 if the Rift S was broken/failed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A recent patch/firmware upgrade finally fixed my intermittent mic problem, too.

Can you tell me, which one? I still have problems with the microphone being randomly turned off.

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

I like the Rift S a lot better. Tracking has been perfect, but you have to have good lighting in the room since it uses a camera instead of sensors or it will not track well. My only complaints are the sound (so I use Bose earbuds) and the way the night sky looks (grey, milky, not dark).