Best VR headset for dcs?

SpaceMonkey037

Hello! I have been enjoying dcs, but I have found it a bit irritating to have to use the mouse to look around especially on dogfights. I have been thinking about getting VR but I can't seem to find a headset that I don't have to donate one of my eyes to be able to buy half a headset. I have also been thinking about getting track it, but with shipping I have to pay over 200 use. Is there a VR headset that cost around this price point that might give me a better experience than track or?

Thx in advance.

Maybe you can start with a used one. rift cv1 or vive. That should be doable in this price range.

Edited by OG84

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals

Used CV1 can be had for around 200, and is a pleasure once running smoothly.

But I have to ask, what are your system specs like? VR is demanding, and it's possible Track IR will provide a better experience as a result.

I bought a Rift-S pretty much for DCS and it works great.

The one thing I don't care for is the resolution; I'll probably wait a year or so and see what Gen 2 really comes up with. The Reverb is getting mixed reviews due to cord issues, but apparently has really good res.

Bottom line: I can recommend the S without reservation, but it's my only experience so far with VR.

Been using the Rift S - first VR gear for me - in DCS....and I have given away my TrackIR 5.

Cannot go back to a monitor and TIR. Resolution is OK but the immersion second-to-none. ACM has been incredible and its turned my sim world upside down. What sim flight should be.

Windows 10 Pro | i5-8600K | MSI Tomahawk Z370 | 48GB DDR4-3000 A-DATA (LED) | EVGA Superclocked 2 GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | 256GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | 512GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 | Thrustmaster Warthog, CH Pedals Oculus Rift S VR

Might want to look at the Oculus Rift S. That is the one Im considering. It has received great reviews but could use a little work on the sound. Plus it doesn't cost you selling a body part on the black market.

This.

Been using my Rift S daily since getting it in May and love it.

I knew the built in audio would be weak, so I got a set of Klipsch R6 II earbuds for the audio, sound is great.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hello! I have been enjoying dcs, but I have found it a bit irritating to have to use the mouse to look around especially on dogfights. I have been thinking about getting VR but I can't seem to find a headset that I don't have to donate one of my eyes to be able to buy half a headset. I have also been thinking about getting track it, but with shipping I have to pay over 200 use. Is there a VR headset that cost around this price point that might give me a better experience than track or?

Thx in advance.

I second the Rift CV1 at your price point . Mine has given me many happy hours , even at 1st gen resolution . You need a 1070 or better to run it though . My I5-6500 runs it decently , but i would recommend nothing less for a good experience .

If those specs are unobtainable , you would be better off with a TrackIr . Do get into VR when you can though , the difference is profound !

And welcome to the forums !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

A used CV1 would be a good start but i would suggest trying the Rift S also.

I went from a Vive to a Rift S last week and i due to the lack of time i only made a first flight yesterday. For me it was a huge difference in both clarity and immersion.

With the vive i used to go back to Track-IR to get to know a plane. Once i knew where most of the buttons were i would switch to VR. Now my Track-IR is going on sale.

Just like many others suggested, get a used first gen headset. Once you use VR, you can't go back to looking at a monitor with track IR and notice your room, window, walls etc. VR is even better than a super wide curved screen and multiple projectors. You really feel like you are in dcs world and not your room or garage.

I agree, CV1 won't make you happy. I had it for few months and I went for Odyssey+ instead 'cause I could not read the instruments worth a damn - do yourself a favor don't go for CV1 or old HTC Vive.

Now, as for my next headset I am waiting for something with a definitive step-up - at the moment the situation with HP Reverb is messy, perhaps 2020 there will be something, until that O+ will serve. (and I could afford something more expensive, but I just do not like to waste my money for no clear benefit)

I can not say anything about the Rift S, never tried it.

O+ you can also get from time to time for some 250 $. Used Gen 1 is waste of money, IMO.

CV1 is unquestionably not as pretty , but instruments and displays are certainly readable with a bit of lean-in or zoom . I'm running a pd of 1.0 , and have no problem reading the DDI ,s on the Hornet , with only the smallest lettering requiring zoom . Spotting ground targets is prolly the biggest problem with that headset , but again , zoom helps a lot .

I think the helos might offer the best experience in DCS with the CV1 . The world views are awesome , and the Huey in particular has large flight instruments .

Gotta love how so many replies completely ignore the OP'S budget :) It's easy to spend other people's money ! The Odyssey mention is a good point , but will put additional performance demands on the gpu .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

i think you mean Gen 3.

these headsets are the Gen 2’s.

Gen 1’s were 3 years ago.

Some VR enthusiasts consider them Gen 1.5

As there has been no official nomenclature from the headset makers I guess it is what we consider it to be.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Save money and go for at least Rift S.

Once passed the Wow of the first flights, low resolution of CV1 makes difficult to use the aircraft and fight.

Not for everyone. I've not touched anything else since I got mt CV1, until I got my Rift S, ofc, and CV1 help me immensely. No way it made things more difficult.

Imho the used CV1 advice is a very good option.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Not for everyone. I've not touched anything else since I got mt CV1, until I got my Rift S, ofc, and CV1 help me immensely. No way it made things more difficult.

Imho the used CV1 advice is a very good option.

Then let’s agree to disagree :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Some VR enthusiasts consider them Gen 1.5

As there has been no official nomenclature from the headset makers I guess it is what we consider it to be.

"Gen 1.5" sounds like it´s about some incestuous offspring :-)))... don´t know who came up with the idea of generations of VR headests?

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

You can't look at the headset in isolation, you also have to look at how much computer horsepower you need. Rift S is probably the sweet spot, you can make something happen with a 3.9GHz processor, 16GB of really good RAM, 240GB SSD, and a 1070ti or Vega 56. Absolute minimum, if you don't have that in the box don't bother

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

You can't look at the headset in isolation, you also have to look at how much computer horsepower you need. Rift S is probably the sweet spot, you can make something happen with a 3.9GHz processor, 16GB of really good RAM, 240GB SSD, and a 1070ti or Vega 56. Absolute minimum, if you don't have that in the box don't bother

You might be surprised at how well my system runs a Rift :)

The future of clarity and resolution is HP reverb when they'll fix their hadrware issues, untill then it's worthless to spend money unless you have 5000 euro for a XTAL HMD

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

The future of clarity and resolution is HP reverb when they'll fix their hadrware issues, untill then it's worthless to spend money unless you have 5000 euro for a XTAL HMD

......in your opinion.

I'm having a blast in DCS with my Rift S. Lovely sharp visuals and silky smooth action :)

It's not worthless to me, in fact a great bang for the buck at £400.00 :thumbup:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional