APU for elect power?

So for me huey is life, but I just bought the mi8 and cant stop flying it. I love the complexity i love the flight model and most of all i love how she packs a real PUNCH! I will be reading the manual cover to cover these next few days but I was wondering if i could maybe get a simple question answered here first regarding the apu..

Is it possible to use the APU as a replacement for a loss of generators? If not both how about 1? I was playing around the the inverters and stby power/AC load etc but I can not seem to get the APU to solely power the airplane, is this due to the fact thats its only/main function is for starting the turbines? Thanks!

Looking forward to learning about every nickle and dime this helo has to offer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

The APU can provide DC power to the battery bus via the STG-3 starter-generator. The switch is located next to the two battery switches in the DC part of the electrics panel on the right side of the cockpit. It shouldn't be used without batteries but together with them in case both primary generators fail. The batteries alone will last you for only a few minutes. Having the AI-9V APU and STG-3 starter-generator on will extend that to 30 minutes, after which the APU should be turned off to avoid overheating.

To get AC power you will need the inverters working. Some AC systems are connected directly to the generator buses and can't be powered from the batteries.

The Mi-8's electric systems are pretty complex but well explained in the manual.

Edited by lmp

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

i have the exact same question like acdelta.

lmp can you give us more details how that works, and can i use the method you talked about to power up my autopilot or my weapons after both generators failed ?!

thanks you