Odyssey vs rift/Vive pixel density

Thick8

I’ll let you know when it arrives. DCS is going to be my first try.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I’ll let you know when it arrives. DCS is going to be my first try.

What's your delivery date? I've seen some places say they won't ship the Odyssey for another week.

Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, i5-7600K 3.8GHz, GA-H270-HD3, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1

I just got back from my local Microsoft Store where I tried the Samsung Odyssey. It was amazing looking, I could barely notice the pixels if I tried very hard (and I have better than 20/20 vision) and the tracking was spot on. The best thing about the tracking is that it is all internal, no cameras or sensors to set up or stay in view of.

I currently have the HDK2, it has the same specs as the Rift/Vive but has garbage tracking. Because of this, I tested the positional tracking of the headset at all angles and it was flawless, even when looking straight down and backwards, or under the table the laptop (i7-7700 with Gefore 1060) was sitting on. Cockpit switches shouldn't be a problem no matter where they are. I feel like gauges shouldn't be an issue at all because of the clarity from the higher resolution, it is basically double the pixels of the Rift/Vive/HDK2 with the same FOV (1440x1600 vs 1200x1080 = 2,304,000 pixels vs 1,296,000 pixels). If anyone knows of YouTube (or whatever) videos that will playback correctly in a VR headset give me some links so I can go back a try to get them to let me watch them.

The controllers were very accurate but needed to stay in the front 180 degrees relative to the headset for best accuracy, which is hard not to do. We won't be using them anyway. It was light and very comfortable too.

I'll wait to see what other offerings come out soon, like the Pimax 8k (can't wait to try its huge FOV), but this one is a definite contender that blows the rift/Vive away in my limited testing. It should work with Standalone DCS through SteamVR in a few days too. Was "only" $500 US.

Note: I have seen two "professional" reviews done by women that claim the visuals aren't as good or are only as good as the Rift/CV1 and that is complete garbage. Obviously they didn't go into more detail and gave other clues about their lack of VR experience. One complained about needing to aim with her hands instead of the center of the headset (so she has only done phone VR) and the other mentioned that the headset didn't give her immediate nausea like the Rift/Vive do (so she doesn't even have VR experience). The rest of the reviews are more accurate, just be weary of these women.

It has a 30 day return so I will probably just pick it up from my local Microsoft Store on the 15th, when SteamVR support launches.

I had the Odyssey for a few days and returned it. I couldn't read gauges as clearly as i could with the rift in DCS. The perceived FOV seemed better though. I set the IPD as well. I was overly frustrated with the quality of the odyssey and my Rift works fine. So I'd love to hear maybe I should have fiddled with it more and that YMMV.

I had the Odyssey for a few days and returned it. I couldn't read gauges as clearly as i could with the rift in DCS. The perceived FOV seemed better though. I set the IPD as well. I was overly frustrated with the quality of the odyssey and my Rift works fine. So I'd love to hear maybe I should have fiddled with it more and that YMMV.

That's depressed me.

Are you sure DCS was displaying at the native Odyssey resolution and not falling back to Rift or Vive res?

Usually SteamVR interprets the resolution of the headset and pumps it out directly to the hardware. I've never seen the ability to downscale resolution in the headset.

There's the ability to supersample but not the reverse.

Look I'd love for the Odyssey to look better because VR really bums me out with the low fidelity.

Indeed. I just don't understand how a headset with 70%-ish more pixels could have worse clarity. Maybe it'll get better with software support.

Perhaps it was my IPD. I was extremely frustrated and DCS was my last test while I was already sure I was going to return it. I used my measured IPD but I would give them a second visit. Now if only the Lenovo had the same screen as the Odyssey I'd order it to try.

Are we able to play DCS out of the box on launch day?

Should be able to, the Steam integration apparently works well and the headsets seem to have no problem running Steam applications in VR same as Vive or Rift. Apps that req tracked controller positions that were not possible with the inside out tracking didn't work as well, but this is a non issue for sims.

When did you return it? Did you even try it when it had steam VR support on the 15th? I've seen reports of people saying they just used the full screen theater mode and stretched it to their field of view before steam VR support launched. If that is what you did then your comparison is worthless.

Well I was finally able to pry myself away from the Odyssey long enough to upload a couple videos.

This is just a quick video showing off the tracking quality of the Windows Mixed Reality HMD. This was recorded from the preview shown on the 2D monitor. It is lower quality and frame rate than what is seen in the HMD. It also looks a little jumpy, that was NOT the case in the VR headset, it is very smooth and accurate.

This is running on an i5-3570 at 4.1 Ghz with 16GB DDR3, and a GTX 970. This quickstart mission ran mostly at 45-60 fps jumping to 90 every now and then (only when looking straight up). This isn't my computer, my i7 920 is too old and won't even run Windows MR, so time to upgrade. I didn't have rudder pedals and was on a cheap joystick with unfamiliar controls mapped, so cut me some slack on the flying.

The VR headset has a better quality picture and better tracking than the Rift. As you can see, I can look in any direction and still move around positionally without worry of staying in view of a camera.

Spotting is better than the Rift, I can see my AIM 120s all the way until they hit the target. With the Rift in the A-10C Hard Quickstart (1.5) I can barely make out the trucks at the first waypoint and can't see the AAA. In the Odyssey, I can see the trucks no problem and barely make out the 2 AAA encampments next to them.

Huds are clear but some gauges and MFCD text require a little leaning in. I may still return it and wait for the other Gen 1.5/2.0 offerings that are launching soon. I like the sound of the Pimax's 200 degree FOV With dual 4K screens but their costs won't even be close.

Edited by Spectre1986

When did you return it? Did you even try it when it had steam VR support on the 15th? I've seen reports of people saying they just used the full screen theater mode and stretched it to their field of view before steam VR support launched. If that is what you did then your comparison is worthless.

I had Steam Beta key from MS. I wouldn't do a comparison that was "worthless" and post about it. Like I've said previously people should try it. I'm sharing my experience. I wouldn't be so quick to attack others because they don't fit your narrative.

Edited by BoosterX

Doesn't sound like the incremental improvement is enough from my CV1 to warrant a change...that's sad. Oh well, now it's back to waiting for the 8K to prove itself (which I have my doubts on) or Gen 2 of the Vive or Rift.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I myself am holding out for a full gen2 from Oculus, or HTC if Oculus does not deliver around the same time. I do not mind the wait, as am I very much enjoying my Rift and will continue to do so.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Doesn't sound like the incremental improvement is enough from my CV1 to warrant a change...that's sad. Oh well, now it's back to waiting for the 8K to prove itself (which I have my doubts on) or Gen 2 of the Vive or Rift.

There's also the LG VR headset coming out. The WMR experience really led me to want to stick with SteamVR or Oculus home headsets.

Pimax 4k wasn't what was promised, but I'm hoping the 8k delivers.

One thing as a Rift owner I am really looking forward to is the new software coming from Oculus hopefully in December.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rift-core/

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

One thing as a Rift owner I am really looking forward to is the new software coming from Oculus hopefully in December.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rift-core/

Was just watching videos on this last night and reading up on it, looks awesome. Will definitely help to have a small YouTube video pinned to my headset when learning a new jet.

"Early December" is the latest projection, so hopefully it's within the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I hope ED will make the time to optimize VR a bit more. I tried Processor Lasso and pinned DCS to two cores. But didn't help. As I suspected, I'm not CPU bound so why should it help?

I was hoping to run out and get the Odyssey today, but that's been delayed. If I end up getting it, I'll post another Rift v. Odyssey review.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I hope ED will make the time to optimize VR a bit more. I tried Processor Lasso and pinned DCS to two cores. But didn't help. As I suspected, I'm not CPU bound so why should it help?

I was hoping to run out and get the Odyssey today, but that's been delayed. If I end up getting it, I'll post another Rift v. Odyssey review.

Be interesting to see some FPS counters to see how the extra resolution x 1.5 PD will hurt performance.

My thinking is that given the advantage of # of pixels in Odyssey, PD would not be needed.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1