109 using only trim, rudder and propeller pitch.

Sporg

I continued a little game/challenge I had with myself in 1.2.16, this time done in 1.5.3:

Try to take off, fly a circuit and land the 109 without touching the stick!

That means, you can only use a combination of trim, rudder and propeller pitch to keep her flying. ;)

I managed partly in my second attempt, but only managed to crash land short of the runway in the final approach.

Anyone like to have a go and see if they can do it?

:D

PS Made some mistakes, but it was only my second attempt this time. :)

Edited by Sporg
  • Like 2

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

did you only use elevator trim or did you activate other trimming? Usually, the 109 only has elevator trim thats why i'm asking.

I only used the elevator trim available in the cockpit.

Trim in settings is set as standard ("factory trim").

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Reminds me of an exercise we play with Aerowinx PSX, trying to reproduce a RW emmergency where only engines and the ailerons are operational ( partially ) after a catastrophic failure, and the 747-400 must be landed that way :-)

Great work and pilloting skills! Congrats!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I continued a little game/challenge I had with myself in 1.2.16, this time done in 1.5.3:

Try to take off, fly a circuit and land the 109 without touching the stick!

That means, you can only use a combination of trim, rudder and propeller pitch to keep her flying. ;)

I managed partly in my second attempt, but only managed to crash land short of the runway in the final approach.

Anyone like to have a go and see if they can do it?

:D

PS Made some mistakes, but it was only my second attempt this time. :)

THS (Trimmable horizontal Stabilizer), can be used as backup control system of the pitch axis, in emergency case even in AIRBUS fleet today, The THS provide the capability of performing an emergency landing, when the main elevator control is INOP, for any causes. But is very difficult perform a perfect landing in this emergency condition. :smartass:

The BF-109 was equipped with this THS from 1935. :smilewink:

Reminds me of an exercise we play with Aerowinx PSX, trying to reproduce a RW emmergency where only engines and the ailerons are operational ( partially ) after a catastrophic failure, and the 747-400 must be landed that way :-)

Great work and pilloting skills! Congrats!

Thanks jcomm. :)

Would like to see you try as well. :)

Interesting scenario with the 747. Is it the accident with the JAL 747 that lost its tail?

THS (Trimmable horizontal Stabilizer), can be used as backup control system of the pitch axis, in emergency case even in AIRBUS fleet today, The THS provide the capability of performing an emergency landing, when the main elevator control is INOP, for any causes. But is very difficult perform a perfect landing in this emergency condition. :smartass:

The BF-109 was equipped with this THS from 1935. :smilewink:

Yes, that's true.

That's exactly how I used it.

But I was not fast enough on the landing. ;)

My challenge partly came from all that discussion about it not being possible to trim the DCS 109 to level flight (as you can see, it is possible once you reach > 350 km/h) and partly from my experiments with manual propeller pitch.

It is fun that one can experiment with the DCS modules so far on the edge of the envelope, and a big part of why I almost exclusively fly in DCS.

PS The fuel tanks were full on the flight (standard quick take off mission), so I guess worst case scenario regarding trim. ;)

System specs:

Thanks jcomm. :)

Would like to see you try as well. :)

Interesting scenario with the 747. Is it the accident with the JAL 747 that lost its tail?

Yep, I believe that's the one, plus another one with a dc-10, with similar scenario.

I'll try to do it in the 109 :-)

Thx!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

;) ... and made a crude looping and a "good landing". :)

Wow, aerobatics with limited controls. :)

Nice show. :)

I was looking at your take off.

You should try taking off with just 1.2 ATA.

It is soo much easier.

My take offs, even when using stick, looked a lot like yours when I used 1.4 ATA. :)

System specs:

Hi,

thanks to sporg, I took the challenge ...

• Like 2

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64

Hi,

thanks to sporg, I took the challenge ...

Wow Mugen, what a nice flight. :)

I didn't use flaps at take off because my trim works mostly there, it is only when transitioning to level flight it is a challenge.

(and that was part of my private challenge too)

But maybe I should experiment. :)

Very impressed about the landing, I will see if I can spot some tips to make mine better too. :)

System specs:

Thank you for your kind words, Sporg.

Just a few notes (not advices):

Carrying too much fuel, imo is counter productiv for such a undertaking in the Konrad. So, I asked the ground crew for just 25% of fuel. This helps a lot in regard to be able to get the nose down while in initial climb, after TO and relative high power setting. Retracting the flaps first (nose up tendency while power on) may help too because of the nose down tendency with extended gear. So, in fact the opposite to my normal TO procedure, where I try to get clean and fast asap.

In order to manage the flare-out, I need to be able to anticipate the aircrafts behaviour at near stall speed. I'm practicing minimum speed behaviour, clean and dirty in safty altitudes above 1000m AGL. I keep an eye on parameters like attitude (AoA) power setting and sink rate in relation to IAS because when landing I'm going to be slow and nose high (3 Pointer).

greez mugen

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64

Thank you for your kind words, Sporg.

Just a few notes (not advices):

Carrying too much fuel, imo is counter productiv for such a undertaking in the Konrad. So, I asked the ground crew for just 25% of fuel. This helps a lot in regard to be able to get the nose down while in initial climb, after TO and relative high power setting. Retracting the flaps first (nose up tendency while power on) may help too because of the nose down tendency with extended gear. So, in fact the opposite to my normal TO procedure, where I try to get clean and fast asap.

In order to manage the flare-out, I need to be able to anticipate the aircrafts behaviour at near stall speed. I'm practicing minimum speed behaviour, clean and dirty in safty altitudes above 1000m AGL. I keep an eye on parameters like attitude (AoA) power setting and sink rate in relation to IAS because when landing I'm going to be slow and nose high (3 Pointer).

greez mugen

You're welcome. :)

Well deserved in my opinion. :)

Thanks for your notes. :)

Regarding fuel, the full fuel load is actually part of my challenge to myself.

(It should not be too easy, should it? ;) )

The reason is again that it was claimed that the DCS 109 was "impossible to trim properly".

But since I had been able to do that, even with full fuel load, I wanted to try to actually fly like that also.

You just need to survive up to >350 km/h, then she flies nicely. :)

I try also to take off like I use to, with no flaps, since she basically flies herself off with +1 trim and 1.2 ATA, and only requires a little stick input to get to level flight after that.

But will experiment with flaps also.

For the landing, I need to practice more, but that has always been my weak point anyway, so I better get started, he he. :)

I will take note of your comments here.

Will probably help me. ;)

System specs: