Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

Cyph3r

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Order from overseas. Go on, live a little. Here, in Aus, we do it all the time. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Z...

No thanks.

If there are problems / issues with the product its very easy to return the item in Amazon USA.

The only way I buy most big ticket items these days.

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

The only thing that seems to be missing is some kind of 3-way mode switch (e.g. like on Saitek or TM HOTAS) which can be quite handy to modify some assignments on the stick and throttle depending on the active mode.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

When will your fine products be available on Amazon USA for all your fans in the states?

No thanks.

If there are problems / issues with the product its very easy to return the item in Amazon USA.

Fair enough, though VPC seem to have proven themselves on this front.

Z...

Looks nice! :)

One question: since the handles are mentioned separately, will there be a possibility to change them in the future?

Is there a chance that the throttle grips will be modular?

Z...

Not planned as of right now.

Hi Cyph3r,

Wonder if you can help with a couple more questions please?

I have just received the T-50 flight base and grip - they are great - really pleased with both.

With regard to the throttle can you provide pictures of the mechanics of how the levers operate at all? Wondering if they are as engineered as the flight base is.

I purchased the base flightstick from the Virpil site prior to the Amazon shop being available. Will i have to order the throttle from the same site in order to qualify for the % discount or can that be done through the Amazon site?

Also will there be a cover for the throttle similar to the flight stick cover?

Thanks - and keep up the great work!

Si

Glad to hear you are enjoying your MT-50 Flightstick! :thumbsup:

We'll have internal shots soon, I can already confirm the MT-50 throttle will have the same aircraft-grade duralumin mechanics just like the MT-50 base!

All special offers are unique to our official web-stores (like http://www.virpil.by).

Yes we'll be making a throttle dust cover!

where will the mini-stick be located?

thumb or index finger?

Most requests have been for the thumb - so it's where we're looking to put it.

When will your fine products be available on Amazon USA for all your fans in the states?

Working on it as we speak, but no E.T.A just yet.

Bloody nice looking throttle. How long till pre order? Also is this compatible with the desk mounts you guys made?? I brought 2.

Thank you!

No official dates just yet - those will be coming soon. It will of course be compatible natively with the VPC Desk Mounts :)

No thanks.

Don't worry, we stand by our products and really try our best to go the extra mile to help any VPC users!

The only thing that seems to be missing is some kind of 3-way mode switch (e.g. like on Saitek or TM HOTAS) which can be quite handy to modify some assignments on the stick and throttle depending on the mode active.

You can create shift states with the toggle switches, but your suggestion has been noted!

Fair enough, though VPC seem to have proven themselves on this front.

Z...

:thumbup:

Thanks guys!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cyph3r, Quick question. Any plans for backlighting? Been discussed at all among the team? I know maybe not asked about yet perhaps but curious. Would love to not lose my green backlights of the wth throttle for my darkened sim room and the option to switch to a few other colors would be cool for others perhaps as well, red, orange. Not talking gaudy..classy backlights..ya know ;)Just a thought. Do you have any input you can share?

Edited by Torso

now if someone would take on a WWII warbird throttle that would be something!

Just don't assign any functions to the buttons on the throttle, and you have a WWII throttle.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You can create shift states with the toggle switches, but your suggestion has been noted!

Yeah, but those fixed on-off switches are only two-position ones, right?

I mean, the sheer amount of buttons available with the VPC stick and throttle is pretty high (plus with a shifted state), but I'm convinced that a 3 or 4-way mode switch on the throttle grip is a really convenient way to quickly switch to different key configurations for the most often used HOTAS buttons and hats depending on the required mode (e.g. startup, navigation, air to air, air to ground). At the very least, some users are probably used to that from their experience with Saitek, TM, CH HOTAS systems (even the Logitech G940 HOTAS has a mode switch, but unfortunately it's not assigned to a DX button and can thus be only used within the Logitech's unfinished and thus basically useless programming software).

As a simpler solution to implement, perhaps a much bigger rotary encoder positioned close to the throttle grip with labeled e.g. 5 to 7 positions could be added to the board? It would mimic the real-life mode selectors on various DCS planes (e.g. the Su-27 or the MiG-29, the radar mode selector on the F-15, the MiG-21 weapon selector, etc.). It wouldn't be as handy as a HOTAS mode switch, but would be perhaps even more realistic for most modules. I know VPC throttle has those two encoders at the bottom, but they seem more like an afterthought, compared to a proper bigger one available next to the grip and with labeled positions (by this I mean just the circular white line with protruding bits matching the positions and a line on the handle to indicate the current position). E.g. something like the control on the right of this image:

LPmdZo8.jpg

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

.. mini-stick...

May add some cost in the model, but with don't make the mini-stick and the front HAT (for mini-stick place) with same format and allow "Greek and Trojans" exchange then without dismantle the grip as he want?

IMO - I guess that thumb finger has better motor control than middle/index finger, but will the ones that want "realism" over convenience . :D

Yeah, but those fixed on-off switches are only two-position ones, right?

As a simpler solution to implement, perhaps a much bigger rotary encoder positioned close to the throttle grip with labeled e.g. 5 to 7 positions could be added to the board? It would mimic the real-life mode selectors on various DCS planes (e.g. the Su-27 or the MiG-29, the radar mode selector on the F-15, the MiG-21 weapon selector, etc.)

The FC3 aircraft don't support multi-position switches (or even latching toggle switches) because the control bindings only allow you to toggle the switch position. For example, there's a gear toggle binding, but no gear up/gear down binding. Same with the AoA limiter switch in the Su-27. A multi-position rotary switch for the FC3 aircraft would be near-useless.

Just don't assign any functions to the buttons on the throttle, and you have a "WWII throttle".

Not really, what will make difference in "WWII Throttle" * is the presence of extra levers for control Propeller Pitch, Mixture, Radiator's, what lack in any "jet" throttle, so just don't assign functions for HAt's corners will don't make a "jet" throttle a WW II throttle.

To be practical this require a dedicated solution, as space flight games require their own.

One can use one or other model for all this games variations, but not in the ideal way.

For now the more appropriated solutions for this "problem" is GVL224 "mechanics" and Kantori "consoles"- based on GVL224 mechanics/electronics, but with a more cool look. ;)

http://www.kanttorinkone.com/consoles.html

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_10_2017/post-549-0-66241200-1507241409.jpg

Edited by Sokol1_br

I much prefer to have plenty of buttons and axis available to me, then I can assign as many or as few commands as I want depending on the module will be flying.

I have been using Warthog throttle along with CH Throttle Quadrant, this new Virpil offering looks like may fit the bill nicely for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The FC3 aircraft don't support multi-position switches (or even latching toggle switches) because the control bindings only allow you to toggle the switch position. For example, there's a gear toggle binding, but no gear up/gear down binding. Same with the AoA limiter switch in the Su-27.

There actually is a separate gear up/down binding option (besides the gear toggle option). For those controls that don't have a separate one, one can get around it in some of the more advanced HOTAS programming software, e.g. in Target (you'd just have to initialize the internal states correctly).

A multi-position rotary switch for the FC3 aircraft would be near-useless.

I showed an example of a mode-selector switch in the real Su-27 (which more or less matches the key commands 1-7) for which 6 or 7 position rotary on a throttle would fit perfectly. How would that be 'near-useless' exactly?

IMHO, it's actually exactly the opposite and it would be perfect for FC3 aircraft where each aircraft has all or at least some of these modes, even if the real aircraft works differently.

Edited by Dudikoff

[...]

1. The cover itself isn't bindable - but this could be added!

[...]

This is important, although a "real" switch cover may don't command nothing, in game this avoid press a extra key/button in planes that require lift the cover to toggle the switch under, e.g. Mig-21 drag chute.

Is similar to the button that VKB incorporates in MCG foldable trigger when moving this trigger for safety position (up), will fill the need of some planes, e.g. Ka-50, Mig-15, Bf 109... "locking or unlocking" their guns.

BTW - Nice throttle, congratulations for the announcement. :thumbup:

Sokol nailed why it would be nice to habe a bindable cover. There are many modules that have guarded switches or buttons (e.g. Mirage's Jettison Switch, F-5's Master Arm Switch etc.). I think it would be quite beneficial to the often cited "immersion" to be able to bind a switch-guard to its proper counterpart on the throttle quadrant instead of to a different switch altogether.

On a similar note the folding trigger on the T-50 is possibly the only thing that I think could be improved upon and this simply (I say this even though I have no clue how difficult this actually is from a technical standpoint :music_whistling: :lol: ) by adding a bindable-action when flipping it down/up.

[...]

Yes we'll be making a throttle dust cover!

[...]

[...]

May add some cost in the model, but with don't make the mini-stick and the front HAT (for mini-stick place) with same format and allow "Greek and Trojans" exchange then without dismantle the grip as he want?

IMO - I guess that thumb finger has better motor control than middle/index finger, but will the ones that want "realism" over convenience . :D

Again I'm pretty much with Sokol on this one. The option to choose (wether by changing it oneself or by being able to choose the position when ordering) would really be nice.

To add to this I would like to repeat a point that another user made (don't remember if it was here or on reddit): with the ministick under the index finger it is possible to actuate radio/cms/etc. with the thumb all the while manipulating the TDC/slew/whatever-space-sim-related-thing making multi-tasking somewhat easier. This would not be possible with a side-mounted ministick as the thumb would be "busy" with the TDC/slew/etc.

Also it would be quite fitting to have this Hornet-style layout with the TDC under the index. :smilewink:

While I'm at it: regardless of where the ministick is located I would like to suggest adding a push to the other 4-way hat, more buttons are always nice.

Alright, I'll be off my soapbox now. :D

On a completely unrelated note: hooray for dust covers, really like the one for the T-50 and had hoped you would make one for your throttle as well! :thumbup:

Edited by TheHendrix
Added clarifications

Regards and many happy landings! :pilotfly:

Actually, this VPC throttle looks like a pretty good solution for space, I play Elite dangerous, and use a CH Pro throttle for it, and it's actually a very good throttle (the best I have found) for that game. It's ancient electronics let it down a touch, but it is solid, if not very expensive for what it is.

The VPC Mongoos throttle looks to have a very similar layout, certainly close enough that my bindings will be near identical, and with an analog thumbstick, it will be an ideal replacement to my CH Pro throttle (which will stay in us eon my secondary PC). It's certainly a much better solution than the Warthog throttle I have.

Still, a swappable analog thumbstick/4 way + press hat would be epic, though I can certainly understand the design challenges, and pricing would suffer.

Z...

Not really, what will make difference in "WWII Throttle" * is the presence of extra levers for control Propeller Pitch, Mixture, Radiator's, what lack in any "jet" throttle, so just don't assign functions for HAt's corners will don't make a "jet" throttle a WW II throttle.

To be practical this require a dedicated solution, as space flight games require their own.

One can use one or other model for all this games variations, but not in the ideal way.

For now the more appropriated solutions for this "problem" is GVL224 "mechanics" and Kantori "consoles"- based on GVL224 mechanics/electronics, but with a more cool look. ;)

http://www.kanttorinkone.com/consoles.html

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_10_2017/post-549-0-66241200-1507241409.jpg

IMHO, it's actually exactly the opposite and it would be perfect for FC3 aircraft where each aircraft has all or at least some of these modes, even if the real aircraft works differently.

I see what you mean now, I misunderstood what you meant the first time.

Solway

Три переключателя 3-х позиционные с возвратом в центр, два - 2-х позиционные, два верхних - 3-х позиционные.

I guess, that based on above T1 - T7 "toggle switches" are

3 (MON)-OFF-(MON)

2 ON-OFF

2 ON-OFF-ON