What aircraft are you going to be flying in normandy and why ?

silenteye

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Brit who doesn't fly the Spitfire?

I like fast planes that handle well at high-speed, with a good dive and a fast roll. That's not a Spitfire :-)

That said I do fly it sometimes, but it's not my favourite.

Edited by Tomsk

I like fast planes that handle well at high-speed, with a good dive and a fast roll. That's not a Spitfire :-)

You have no problem shooting down your countryman when you fly the Dora? This is a simulation, and what would I be simulating if I didn't fly US planes? I can't bring myself to shoot an American down. I know this is just a virtual war, but I try to put myself in it as a real WW2 pilot. I just accept what planes the US had back then.

Just curious. Do you ever think of that?

Does anybody, or am I alone with these feelings?

Buzz

planning to do the same for the new map, but idk, will i be able to get good on them without rudders?? atleast dont fighting with the plane. never been on one of this planes before... what do u think?

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

@BuzzU...I feel exactly the same as U...

Its the P51 for me...but I will also fly the Spit sometimes. Alot of American pilots did fly them.

I do fly the Axis planes occasionally but really dont care for them. Not comfortable flying them. More of a curiosity.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

You really need rudders with WW2 planes. You can get away with it on modern fighters, but the old prop planes need a lot of rudder input during flight and of course takeoff and landing.

welp, i guess ill save my money for f18 lol ty.

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

WIN 10

That, or save for rudder pedals. ;)

uh, seems like too expensive, i think better get a hotas with that money right? im with a saitek cyborg fly 5 stick...

btw, tell me a brand/model of pedals so i can watch it prices. what do you recommend?

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

WIN 10

uh, seems like too expensive, i think better get a hotas with that money right? im with a saitek cyborg fly 5 stick...

btw, tell me a brand/model of pedals so i can watch it prices. what do you recommend?

I understand about being short of money. I'm an old coot trying to survive on an SS check. I use CH pedals, because they're cheap compared to the high end pedals. Some guys don 't like CH pedals, because they're kind of close together. That doesn't bother me. They're nice and smooth and last a long time. Some of the cheaper pedals stick and aren't smooth. Especially, after used for awhile. CH always stay smooth. I had one pair for 9 years and still worked fine. Someday i'd like a better set, but that won't be for awhile.

I paid $135 for the CH to my door.

Buzz

I understand about being short of money. I'm an old coot trying to survive on an SS check. I use CH pedals, because they're cheap compared to the high end pedals. Some guys don 't like CH pedals, because they're kind of close together. That doesn't bother me. They're nice and smooth and last a long time. Some of the cheaper pedals stick and aren't smooth. Especially, after used for awhile. CH always stay smooth. I had one pair for 9 years and still worked fine. Someday i'd like a better set, but that won't be for awhile.

I paid $135 for the CH to my door.

i looked up for them but nothing here in Argentina.

The most cheapest rudders i can find are

"Thrustmaster Tfrp Flight Rudder Pedals" for $3300 so U$D214.

and the next one is the

"Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals" for U$D428

I know Thrustmaster from the hotas and from the racing wheels (im a fan of racing sims too but had to sell my G27 for bank debts).

anyone knows if they are worth it? i think i should discuss this in another thread too.

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

WIN 10

i looked up for them but nothing here in Argentina.

The most cheapest rudders i can find are

"Thrustmaster Tfrp Flight Rudder Pedals" for $3300 so U$D214.

and the next one is the

"Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals" for U$D428

I know Thrustmaster from the hotas and from the racing wheels (im a fan of racing sims too but had to sell my G27 for bank debts).

anyone knows if they are worth it? i think i should discuss this in another thread too.

I'm a fan of race sims too. I did it for real when I was young and never lost the desire to race. Sims is all I can afford now. I'm a big fan of GPL and have thousands of hours in it.

The prices of those pedals are high in your country. Did you check ebay?

Buzz

You have no problem shooting down your countryman when you fly the Dora? [..] Just curious. Do you ever think of that?

Do you know I had never even thought about it. I guess I'm very aware that it's not real, and that I'm ultimately in a virtual plane, engaging in virtual combat against virtual pilots from all over the world :) I'm also really glad that there are other people who share my hobby of simulating air combat, whether I'm flying with them or against them (and that changes frequently).

Do you know I had never even thought about it. I guess I'm very aware that it's not real, and that I'm ultimately in a virtual plane, engaging in virtual combat against virtual pilots from all over the world :) I'm also really glad that there are other people who share my hobby of simulating air combat, whether I'm flying with them or against them (and that changes frequently).

That's the point. We're simulating. We're putting ourselves in the position of a WW2 pilot. In my case that would be an American pilot. I wouldn't be flying a German plane. No matter how good it is in the sim.

Just my outlook on it. I know i'm in the minority, but that doesn't bother me. If I just look at it as fighting against my friends. Then i've made a game out of a sim. Nothing wrong with that either, but it's not my style.

Buzz

I'm a fan of race sims too. I did it for real when I was young and never lost the desire to race. Sims is all I can afford now. I'm a big fan of GPL and have thousands of hours in it.

The prices of those pedals are high in your country. Did you check ebay?

My country doesnt allow shipping from outisde to here (at least this kind of product a.k.a. electronics and basically what ppl really wants to buy outside.)

So nope, im screwed.

At least planes, maps, and virtual products are at the same price than everyone else ¨(at least in this region).

btw, nice there on the racing sims :smilewink:

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

WIN 10

You have no problem shooting down your countryman when you fly the Dora? This is a simulation, and what would I be simulating if I didn't fly US planes? I can't bring myself to shoot an American down. I know this is just a virtual war, but I try to put myself in it as a real WW2 pilot. I just accept what planes the US had back then.

Just curious. Do you ever think of that?

Does anybody, or am I alone with these feelings?

By your own goal of putting yourself in a WWII pilot's shoes, logically it wouldn't be fellow countrymen you're shooting down if you've put yourself in a 109/190 and were targetting P51's or Spitfires.

Edited by Buzzles

By your own goal of putting yourself in a WWII pilot's shoes, liogically it wouldn't be fellow countrymen you're shooting down if you've put yourself in a 109/190 and were targetting P51's or Spitfires.

I suppose you could look at it that way, but for me, my countryman doesn't change if I get into an enemy plane.

I see your point though. We can all play a roll according to our own rules. My rule is I can't stop being what I am now.

Buzz

Well I agree about the dive however the Spitfire rolls surprisingly well up to 300 mph IIRC.

Nothing can beat the Dora roll wise though obliviously :music_whistling: I have read the envy in the words of allied fighter pilots when describing the roll rate of the 190 :) fantastic aircraft.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I fly the planes I like regardless of what side they are on, that really doesn't bother me.

Ok, just wondering. You're from the UK and took a name of a German squad. I thought you were playing the role of a German pilot. So, saying you'll fly the Jug confused me.

Buzz

You really need rudders with WW2 planes. You can get away with it on modern fighters, but the old prop planes need a lot of rudder input during flight and of course takeoff and landing.

actually before i got my saitek X55 and pedals i had no trouble flying the P51 ruderless with my logitech 3d Extreme pro nor the dora.

Truth be told only spitfire and 109 gave me troubles but only at take off or low speeds. Otherwise I didnt mind.

I simply got rudders plus Hotas to have better gear for my hobby, but if i was short on cash or less passion towards flight simming i certainly would be able to make do with a simple stick and no rudders. It wasn't much of a problem for me.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

actually before i got my saitek X55 and pedals i had no trouble flying the P51 ruderless with my logitech 3d Extreme pro nor the dora.

Truth be told only spitfire and 109 gave me troubles but only at take off or low speeds. Otherwise I didnt mind.

I simply got rudders plus Hotas to have better gear for my hobby, but if i was short on cash or less passion towards flight simming i certainly would be able to make do with a simple stick and no rudders. It wasn't much of a problem for me.

I did the same as you while I waited for my pedals. It can be done, but it's so much easier with pedals that I can only recommend that for the WW2 planes. Plus, he never said what plane he was going to fly. He did say he never fly that type of plane. I didn't want him to buy a module and not be able to land and take off in it. Some guys can't do it with pedals.

Buzz