Minengeschoß

Since the release of the K-4 is approaching fast according to this, i can't help but wonder if the actual ammunition most commonly used on the K-4 will be in, i certainly hope so.

From what i understand, the MK 108 in DCS currently fires 30 mm AP rounds and there is no option to change ammo loadout in the editor which kinda to some degree defeats the purpose of the gun.

In operation, however, two major ammunition types were used: Minengeschoß ("mine-shell") and high-explosive incendiary. The Minengeschoß was made by drawn steel (the same way brass cartridges are made) instead of being forged and machined as was the usual practice for cannon shells. This resulted in a shell with a thin but strong wall, which hence had a much larger cavity in which to pack a much larger explosive or incendiary charge than was otherwise possible.

Since the release of the K-4 is approaching fast according to this, i can't help but wonder if the actual ammunition most commonly used on the K-4 will be in, i certainly hope so.

From what i understand, the MK 108 in DCS currently fires 30 mm AP rounds and there is no option to change ammo loadout in the editor which kinda to some degree defeats the purpose of the gun.

The Mk 108 is currently loaded 1:1 with MGesch and MGesch-T ... according to the LUAs at least (iirc in-game there is no tracer effect for the MK 108, right). But no AP at least.

The Mk 108 is currently loaded 1:1 with MGesch and MGesch-T ... according to the LUAs at least (iirc in-game there is no tracer effect for the MK 108, right). But no AP at least.

Oh ok! Should have checked the .lua myself. Thats good to hear. I remember reading an old discussion about AP only and i assumed they would add an option to switch between ammo types in the editor if and when they added other types.

At least mine is not and never was. As far as I can remember it has always been Minengeschoss and HEI in a 1:1 ratio. With HEI being pretty much a useless round with the current damage model. You can however manually change to Mine-tracer in the lua and it works perfectly fine offline as well as online.

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

The round is already modeled and you can as I said above load and shoot it, in your plane, at the moment, with this very version of DCS, offline and online. And it packs a better punch than HEI for sure while also having a higher v0 and a tracer stream.

Edit: For all you lazy people, every second round is a tracer Mine shell. Mine and Mine-T 1:1 mix. This works offline and online for me. And now at least give me some rep for making your life that much more enjoyable! :D Just throw it in your DCS directory or use with JSGME. Enjoy!

Bf109MK108tracer.zip

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 1

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

The round is already modeled and you can as I said above load and shoot it, in your plane, at the moment, with this very version of DCS, offline and online. And it packs a better punch than HEI for sure while also having a higher v0 and a tracer stream.

Oh, I know that, I use it already. I'm more interested in knowing if there's a feature request for it to be part of the ME rather than having to turn in on it the lua :)