Ka-50 VS A-10

AAMs were fitted to both Ah64s and AH1s back in the 80s because in the cold war if a conflict errupted it was expected that the CAP would be too buisy to protect the helos due to the high number of Soviet aircraft. They fitted both stinger and Aim9s but since then the AH64s last I heard had the stinger/A/A stuff removed and now days they rely on the CAP to take care of enemy aircraft. I bet if they go up against a country which has large numbers of fighters and helicopters that they'd probably put them back on. Janes LB2 featured gunships with AAms and in the campaigns there were quite a few dogfights which was alot of fun although the 64s chaingun is the best weapon for dealing with helicopters.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

They were still testing them fairly recently.

http://defence-data.com/eurosatory2000/pagees09.htm

And

In August 2001, the AH-64D was selected by the Japanese Ground Self-Defence Force with a requirement for 55 helicopters. The Apache for Japan is designated AH-64DJP and is armed with Stinger air-to-air missiles. Deliveries are scheduled to begin in March 2006

They were in the 80s also looked at a sea version which carried Aim9s, instead I think the AH1s were used for that role instead.

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/mcdonnell_sea_apache.php

The main reason that AAMs aren't carried now is that there is no Air threat where they operate so all the stuff for mounting them has gone and instead on the wing tips they carry pods. Interestingly I've read somewhere that Mistral and sidearm can also be carried by the longbow but I have yet to see any photos.

ap5.jpg

Planned modification adds two extra hardpoints for four Stinger, four Mistral or two Sidewinder (including Sidearm anti-radiation variant) missiles; Shorts Starstreak high-velocity AAM system completed initial 17 month test programme on Apache in February 1997 and being promoted for use by US and UK, with funding allocated for follow-on two year test programme; second round of live fire tests completed October/November 1998. Starstreak to participate in competitive evaluation against Stinger, despite problems with debris from missile container and pressure wave caused by first-stage rocket motor; trials of both weapons were scheduled to begin September 1999;

http://www.janes.com/defence/air_forces/news/jawa/jawa001013_1_n.shtml

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

there is a video of Ka-52 in Maks 2007, and there is said that it can be armed with short range A2A missiles. Shame comments are made in Russian, thou I'm not the only one who understands Russian, so there will be some to confirm that I'm not bluffing!

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=5y07MOKTB4M&feature=user

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They were in the 80s also looked at a sea version which carried Aim9s, instead I think the AH1s were used for that role instead.

The navalized version of the Apache never left the drawing board. Long before the concept for the AH-64B came out, the USMC had Cobras already on board Navy ships. AH-1Ws of the USMC have been known to carry Sidewinders, but only rarely.

My fault on derailing the thread to, I have a non-intentional talent for that.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 10 years later...
i had seen in some movie, the ka-50 killing A-10 firing missile, the tatics for engage aircraft is same, like Jets VS Jets or helo have some

Disadvantage like ''Speed'' or Advantage like ''Maneuver'' and ''firing missiles''??:pilotfly:

Old thread, yeah, but I am looking for a consistent method of repeating my moves.

Other day on 104th's server shot down a moving Huey as he took off from quite aways away with a Vikhr missile and locked him up with my Shkval and its Laser. There are targeting push-button settings on the left-side console. I was stationary in a hover within less than the Vikhr's 8K range.

Tried it again today as Huey was landing and missed twice. Missile exploded as an air burst nearby but not a direct hit.

For your information, 99th-Cooper has YouTube videos up doing it also to the jets.

Never say never. It is doable!

Yes, DCS is a game, yes a realistic sim, but still a game. Can be done in real life? I dunno' . But it can be done on the 104th's server!

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The biggest mistake IMO when spotted by an aircraft is to flee.

Keep it in your sight, train and train again to get a lock on fast moving targets, it's a bit tricky but finally becomes more a reflex than anything else. Then once it faces you, shoot. Of course you'll get shot 50% of the time but hey, if you flee you're dead anyway. Already shot down F-15, Su-27, A-10C, Mirage etc. my best shot was a F-15, he was about 30° up from me, I raised the nose, shot twice, killed the pilot. Don't underestimate the canon either, I shot many jets with it.

Truth is that plane pilots underestimate a lot the kamov capabilities, most of the time because the kamov pilot tends to turn his back and flee which is completely hopeless. Fact is that most fighter pilots even take their time, turning at low speed around you. I didn't count the amount of over confident pilots I killed simply with canon. My best one was again an F-15. We were patrolling, 3 kamovs, 5 m/ground. My wingman signals "Missile !" and I see an explosion right in front of me, we stop down a mountain, and look around, here he is, coming back at something like 200 knots, 50 m/ground, shooting his Aim-7 in the mountain because they can't get a lock. He got shot by us all, canon, and crashed like a shit in the mountain. ^^

Best solution to counter enemy jets is so to count on the fact that he is a dumb jet pilot. Of course, if you see the guy climbing and climbing and climbing to attack you from above, then you can think "shit, I'm officially dead".

Ah, and on slow moving helicopter, avoid the front sector button, which enables proximity fuses, as log as it may make the vikhrs explode to early when approaching the rotor blades.

And a last tip, on Kamov-50, if you want to keep your vikhrs but to shoot on a landing or taking off helicopter let's say 6km from you. Switch your canon on API, force manual override and shoot ;)

Nicolas

• Like 1