[NOT REALISTIC FOR US BLK 50] Moving Map? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 02:57 AM   #1
Anonymous User

Default [NOT REALISTIC FOR US BLK 50] Moving Map?

Anyone know if this is a capability on the F16, if so what block?
Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
Deano87

Preeeeeety sure US wise it would only be the jets that have received the Raytheon Center Display Unit upgrade that have moving map ability. And the Block 70 jets with the 3 massive screens mostly likely have it too.

But don’t think the Block 50 without mods has any ability to do it. You will get a HSD which is similar to the HSI or SA page on the Hornet, but no map in the background.

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Book : 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots

Last edited by Deano87; 08-25-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:07 AM   #3
Kev2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
Preeeeseety sure US wise it would only be the jets that have received the Raytheon Center Display Unit upgrade that have moving map ability. And the Block 70 jets with the 3 massive screens mostly likely have it too.

But don’t think the Block 50 without mods has any ability to do it. You will get a HSD which is similar to the HSI or SA page on the Hornet, but no map in the background.

That may be the case IRL but i don't see why what limitations that it couldn't be done otherwise, if full colour capability exist. Dont see why Moving map couldn't be a possibility on HSD overlay with 5x5 inch screens. The A10's screens are also 5x5, smaller than the new center pedestal panel.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb ram (2666 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 08-25-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 AM   #4
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2go View Post
That may be the case IRL but i don't see why what limitations that it couldn't be done otherwise, if full colour capability exists. Dont see why Moving map couldn't be a possibility on HSD overlay with 5x5 inch screens. The A10's screens are also 5x5
I agree? Lol.

But as far as I know they didn’t make it happen in the real jet for whatever reason. Happy to be wrong! Not that I use the map in the Hornet ever anyway lol.

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Book : 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots
Old 08-25-2019, 03:14 AM   #5
Kev2go

Quote:
I agree? Lol.

But as far as I know they didn’t make it happen in the real jet for whatever reason. Happy to be wrong! Not that I use the map in the Hornet ever anyway lol.
I dont disagree, i dont want Moving map if its not a realistic feature on USAF plane. IM just saying even if they dont use MM that its not likely due to any technical limitation or becuase the displays are too small or something

ANd i think the reason some people dont like using MM on the Hornet is because of how its formatted. The formating blends in with the MM.

Compared to the Hornet, Its a different story on the A10C. I used MM on that all the time, because it TAD page formatting contrasts much better against the MM. It stick out more due to certain symbology or alphanumerics being displayed against a black backdrop

Looking at the video you posted with the new F16 Center Pedestal panel it seems they went along the same lines of the A10.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb ram (2666 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 08-25-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:21 AM   #6
Deano87

I agree again! The text directly on top of the map on the Hornet make it very difficult to read, also having as the centre screen only further reduces its usability imho.

Proud owner of:

My Screenshots
Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 AM   #7
Kev2go

Quote:
I agree again! The text directly on top of the map on the Hornet make it very difficult to read, also having as the centre screen only further reduces its usability imho.
Considering its the only fully colour capable screen, not other choice in the Legacy Hornets for a proper full color moving map. USN didn't implement full color DDI displays until the Lot 25 Supers. IRRC with regards to the Legacies in USA, only the Marines with F/A18A++ program replaced those Green CRT's with LCD colour displays. The Recent F/A18C+SkateZilla claims those have new cockpit displays but i haven't seen any written defense articles stating so, nor any published cockpit photos of them proving their existence. All sources just say C+ is nothing more than an airframe refurbishment to keep em flying longer without falling apart.

From what i read about the Hornets development ultimately they decided Bottom display was best suited for navigation as combat related pages stuff was prioritized for upper displays.

That being said i read that old DDI displays should be able to generate a basic monochrome map.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Last edited by Kev2go; 08-25-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Cupra

I have seen a US F-16C Blk30 Model from a Texas ANG squadron that had a moving map on the MFD.. so this option exists. I just dont know if this software is available to the version we will get. But the function itself exists. Maybe just on one plane..

EDIT: Just took a closer look. It was a F-16D Block 30E. Serial Nr. 86-049. This aircraft had a coloured moving map on its HSD on the rear seat…

Last edited by Cupra; 08-25-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Cupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
Deano87

Well that’s cool. So maybe it can do it.

Proud owner of:

My Screenshots
Old 08-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2go View Post
Considering its the only fully colour capable screen, not other choice in the Legacy Hornets for a proper full color moving map. USN didn't implement full color DDI displays until the Lot 25 Supers. IRRC with regards to the Legacies in USA, only the Marines with F/A18A++ program replaced those Green CRT's with LCD colour displays. The Recent F/A18C+SkateZilla claims those have new cockpit displays but i haven't seen any written defense articles stating so, nor any published cockpit photos of them proving their existence. All sources just say C+ is nothing more than an airframe refurbishment to keep em flying longer without falling apart.

From what i read about the Hornets development ultimately they decided Bottom display was best suited for navigation as combat related pages stuff was prioritized for upper displays.

That being said i read that old DDI displays should be able to generate a basic monochrome map.
According to AFM magazin (Aug 19 issue) only 19 legacy hornets will be upgraded to F/A-18C+. Initially 30 aircrafts were planned to be upgraded to C+

"The F/A-18C+ is equipped with an upgraded APG-73 Radar, Link 16, colour cockpit displays, a moving map display, ALE-47 infrared countermeasures, the Naval Aircrew Common Ejection Seat (NACES) and the JHMCS. The service life of the airframe is also extended from 6,000 to 8,000 flight hours. To date, only three C+ Hornets have been completed and delivered; two having joined VMFA-115 (one of which has been lost in a mishap) and one to VMFA-112 at Fort Worth, the unit that is scheduled to receive most of the C+ aircraft"
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote