The key to zhe Gazelle - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #41
countvonaltibar

A very interesting discussion and a fantastic video from CHPL that has inspired quite a lot of people to persist with and some (like me) to purchase the model. Many thanks for the video, I'm having fun experimenting with the different parameters. Hopefully the Polychop update will arrive soon we'll see what that brings.
countvonaltibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #42
Nooch

I put no curves and can fly it just fine, like all the other modules basically. It's just a matter of spending a few minutes getting used to it.
Nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #43
SnowTiger

Being able to fly with or without curves etc is a personal thing.
It may only rely on one's experience with flying any Sim.
On the other hand and vastly more importantly (IMO) is the Hotas you are using.
Each Hotas has it's strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other.

I have now flown the Gazelle (and all my other Modules) with 2 different Hotas setups. X-55 Rhino + CH Pro Pedals and later and currently with VKB Gunfighter MkII MCG Pro + Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle + CH Pro Pedals.

These are COMPLETELY different setups with equally different responses. The VKB is a very sensitive and smooth stick compared to X-55. But it also is completely customizable for different tensions and center/neutral detente or no detente.

Never mind what others are doing. You must use what you have and experience what you will to determine whether or not Curves etc are right for your setup and your experience. Maybe you need those settings only while learning and then dampen them down later. Or maybe they will always be needed.

Personally, I did some research, including watching a specific video (previously mentioned) to see how the REAL Gazelle works and how much stick deflection there is in the real aircraft under normal use. I "tuned" my stick to reflect that reality and then learned how to fly most effectively. That is what worked for me. It may not work for anyone else. And I'm fine with that.
Do whatever you feel is right for your enjoyment. Don't be afraid to experiment to get the most enjoyment. Your setup isn't just like everyone else's setup and so your experience will be different from most others too.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #44
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTiger View Post

I have now flown the Gazelle (and all my other Modules) with 2 different Hotas setups. X-55 Rhino + CH Pro Pedals and later and currently with VKB Gunfighter MkII MCG Pro + Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle + CH Pro Pedals.

These are COMPLETELY different setups with equally different responses. The VKB is a very sensitive and smooth stick compared to X-55. But it also is completely customizable for different tensions and center/neutral detente or no detente.

Never mind what others are doing. You must use what you have and experience what you will to determine whether or not Curves etc are right for your setup and your experience. Maybe you need those settings only while learning and then dampen them down later. Or maybe they will always be needed.

Personally, I did some research, including watching a specific video (previously mentioned) to see how the REAL Gazelle works and how much stick deflection there is in the real aircraft under normal use. I "tuned" my stick to reflect that reality and then learned how to fly most effectively. That is what worked for me. It may not work for anyone else. And I'm fine with that.
Do whatever you feel is right for your enjoyment. Don't be afraid to experiment to get the most enjoyment. Your setup isn't just like everyone else's setup and so your experience will be different from most others too.
That's a great post. And btw, tune your joystick is part of the joy, isn't it?
Old 08-25-2019, 06:28 AM   #45
River

Quote:

can you post your vkb gunfighter settings for the gazelle? and what cam and springs are you using? thanks
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #46
xvii-Dietrich

Excellent post from SnowTiger.

Quote:
Very true.

Even for an identical controller, things like the position of the chair, the frame rate of the simulator, the field of view of the monitor, and personal preference will result in differences to the needed curve settings.

On the other hand, knowing what settings others are using (especially if they are using something similar to you), will help give and idea of what to change and a starting point from whence to experiment. (For reference, my settings are here: link)
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote