The Rookie Thread - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #11
GGTharos
Veteran

Your mistake is probably not trimming. Turning? Hold down trim button.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
Arkham

Default GAAH! I am so lost!

I have no idea where to begin. Just downloaded the game, and I am absolutely baffled where I should begin learning this sim. I can read the manual on the train, but 50 pages of how the altimeter works gets to me after a while

The tutorial goes through things fast. I almost died when the guy said i should be able to do startup in 30 seconds flat. aroo?!

So ummm...where should an utter novice like me begin?

btw, I used to do very well in falcon 4.0 long time ago, so i understand the basics.
Arkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
fox_111

Do the tutorials in the game. Read some of the tips on flying on this forum and most importantly: PRACTICE!

Make a simple mission with just your helo and fly around. Learn how it handle and try the tricks you learned here.

I'm also a very proheficiant Falcon 4 AF pilote, and I needed a good month or 2 of flying the Ka-50 to get a good hang of it's flight dynamics.
fox_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
HausDiesel

FInd a multiplayer online community and start asking
HausDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 AM   #15
EvilBivol-1
Belsimtek/TFC Associate

Send a message via MSN to EvilBivol-1

All,

Let's try to make this thread a "go-to" resource for new comers with basic questions. Please try to make your posts specific and concise, always on topic. It would help if you quote the question to which you are responding.

Thank you.

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.
The Parable of Jane's A-10
Forum Rules
EvilBivol-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #16
viper169th

Hi Arkham,
I would start here with the basic then the pro check list
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=35571 once you've learned where all the buttons are located then take it for a spin in a non hostile environment I would turn on invulnerable for your first couple hours.

Once that is completed then goto the shooting range in the missions select screen this will let you play with out dealing with the AI shooting at you.
then I would create your own mission to see how the enemies target you and get the geest of using counter measures ect...

Sincerely,
Viper169th
viper169th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
nemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance View Post
EUREKA!!. I think I understand whats been making this so hard for me to control. It's the NAV system/systems doing stuff that I'm not in control off.

It always seems to happen at the worst time just when I'm lining up a shot and the helo gets a mind of it's own. I think it might be related to the way I make my own missions an where the waypoints are close to the fighting areas.

Can someone make a checklist or suggest how to free me of the influence of the NAV system when I'm fighting?

I love this sim!!!!!
IF you find the Shark spinning out of control when you are in a fight:

- press control-Enter, this will bring up the controls guide
- Center the Rudder pedals on the control guide
- press trim
- Problem solved!

It is very easy and very very common to accidentaly double transform trim the rudder!
The heading hold AP channel can only do so much to counteract this.

Other wise, as long as the Route autopilot is not on, and you are not using "auto turn to target" unless in a stable hover , you should not be having problems as described.

Make sure to press and hold trim whenever doing ANY control inputs though...the only time I hands off the trim is on landing
nemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
Davemetalhead

Is there a way to make the HUD info larger ? I'm finding it very difficult to actually read the HUD, even if I move closer using my TrackIR ...
Davemetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #19
hawkhero

Default Just got Black Shark!

Hi, I just got Black Shark! I fly it with the X52pro stick. NICE SIM! I have a intel 2.Q9550 2.83, quad core and 2 EVGA 9800GTX in SLI mode. Any hints how I should set the graphics up? I have the latest drivers for my cards and using the NVIDA control panel BS isn't listed. Anyone know how to add it? Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by hawkhero; 05-07-2009 at 01:40 AM.
hawkhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #20
nemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
Is there a way to make the HUD info larger ? I'm finding it very difficult to actually read the HUD, even if I move closer using my TrackIR ...
Hi Dave,
yes!..
You can also use the "zoom" feature, which is not the same as leaning in on the trackir.

Check in options under the "axis" controls, and you will see a "Zoom View" axis control.
Asign an axis to it (it using an X52 for eg, use the slider, otr one of the rotaries) , and you can zoom in and out (camera style lens zoom, rather than a paralax zoom as with Trackir).

If you do not have a spare Axis to assign, thre are also "zoom in" and "Zoom out" keys that can be assigned .. I belive by default they are set to mouse-wheel up and down ?

Most people I know that use a Cougar, have zoom in and zoom out set to key strokes on a 2 way hat switch.

..vital for flight IMHO
nemises is offline   Reply With Quote