Combined Arms in VR is freaking awesome

vicx

I finally got the DK2 HMD setup properly And jumped in the Su-33 to have a drive. I enjoyed the flying but not so much the combat because (resolution is too low - personal opinion). So I decided to jump into one of the tanks to see how the VR would break.

It didn't break ... it just looked awesome. :surprise: Even though the silly gui got in the way a bit the impact of looking around and seeing all the parts of T-90 at arms length was amazing. It just kicks ass. I'm certain that VR didn't work at all for CA in DCS 1.2.xx so I'm sure this is new in 1.5.

I'm also working on a mod that will really benefit from this so I'm :thumbup:

Edited by vicx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still doing a lot of experiments with CA and the VR mode.

I would love to show people some of the cool stuff that is possible but I am finding that it is really hard to take screenshots or make videos that capture how good stuff actually looks in VR. My screenshots look ordinary BUT in VR the same scene is amazing. :hmm:

FdEADy7.jpg

mfmDo1X.jpg

There is however one bigger problem with the CA VR experience at the moment. The HUDS or SIGHTS for Combined Arms are completely screwed up in VR mode.

The HUD appears at a strange position in 3D space and it does not update it's position to react to HMD movement or even vehicle or turret movement. What I have decided to try and do is create several HUD elements to fix this.

• The first I want to lock to the vehicle.
  • The second I want to lock to the turret and project into 3d space in front of the turret where the barrel is aiming.
  • The third one I thought to lock to the HMD so it is like a Helmet based display.

At the moment I am finding the HUD script for the Combined Arms a bit tricky ... have to work out how some of the features work.

Yeah VR is gonna be good.

What frame rates are you getting with VR?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

But i heard The occules rift consumer version is Gonna cost around 1500 euro,s or 400 euro,s

You can easily make your own VR Goggles with Google Cardboard, your smartphone and trackir. Sounds overcomplicated, but it isn't. :smilewink:

Все буде добре

Finally home :)

Ok, so Google Cardboard is a pair cardboard goggles with lens inside. It's meant for you to put your smartphone inside it to act as a screen.

If you set up your smartphone as a secondary computer screen, you can use Google Cardboard in conjunction with Trackir/other head tracking system to make your own DIY Oculus Rift.

More info about Google Cardboard can be found on its official website:

https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

Here is how to get one (or make one, if you have free time and you like craftsmanship)

https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/get-cardboard/

• Like 1

Все буде добре

Google Cardboard can't really be considered a VR HMD. It lacks almost all the fundamentals which are required for immersion. It doesn't have 6-DOF positioning, low latency, high framerates, or persistance of vision strobing and other advanced VR hardware features to make a VR experience work.

You could use Google Cardbord for watching back VR recordings ... it would be good for that and adding TrackIR to Google Cardboard would make it a better viewer.

I bought my Oculus Rift DK2 for $400. That's cheaper than buying TrackIR and a decent monitor. It's half the price of an iphone :)

Sorry for the late reply, could you elaborate your points a bit more? I was planning to build a Google Cardboard based VR system.

I'm no expert in VR, and what I came up with came from three separate things: Head tracking, Google Carboard (only the "skeleton": the cardboard and lenses) and a smartphone being set-up as a secondary monitor.

As you're the guy that knows what is doing, could you tell me where I'm wrong and that mistakes are present in my idea?

Все буде добре

Gotta pay to play ;)

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

This is why I am interested roomscale VR. The DK2 is great but it is disappointing that it can't track your head 360 degress and the tracking volume is not that big.

This is a recording I made in DCS VR mode to show how cool it might be to walk around your aircraft.

• 1 month later...

Dont think they have modelled interiors so this wouldnt work..

Also Oculus Rift consumer version is going to be £400 ish.. not that expensive, its same price as a high end HOTAS.

As long as you have a pc bought in last year you will be ok. I have a Radeon 290x, and it runs at acceptable framerates.

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the resolution still pretty crappy with DK2? That's the reason, one of the, we're all holding off. If it's not as good or better than our monitors, its like going backwards. I hope it does get better soon though...

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I think there are some experiences in DCS which work really well in VR even with the limitations of the first generation hardware.

- all of the cockpits feel completely amazing in VR. There is no better way to experience DCS cockpits than in VR. The cockpits are very compelling and are completely usable. Some switch labels are harder to read but moving your head closer solves this in most cases.

- the compromised resolution of VR means that spotting without using sensors is much harder. ED have provided a sprite system for targets that stops targets disappearing completely when they should be in visual range. It works but you can't ell what the target is until you get pretty close. This is a definite downside.

- spatial awareness for objects 0-500m away is extremely compelling. Lots of activities in DCS are benefit a LOT from this; formation flying is amazing. Flying choppers in general is really great especially low altitude flight and slingrope operations. :thumbup:

- CA feels amazing but only driving vehicles really works at the moment because the sights in CA are not yet VR compatible. If CA vehicles were given VR compatible sights ... CA in VR would make many people VERY happy.

I could write more but that is enough for now.

Guys, I think you might want to see this:

Hi everyone

I found

DCS is Google CardBord.

It is a VR

What you need

1, Google CardBrd VR

2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or more of the graphics card.

The use is NVIDIA SHIELD

3, DCS World

4, Android, or iPhone software MoonLight

5, TrackIR.

Please visit

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/japancat_il2/e/739582587677b3999439d098f3bb1ff1

Thank very much JapanCat

Все буде добре