Moving DCS to another SSD

Please help. I can't install the MiG-21 after moving my game folder to my SSD. I get an error message saying to install the latest version of DCS. I have feeling that registry setting do need to be modified?!

The only thing that kept from just reinstalling DCS instead of moving it are the joystick settings. Are these just saved under the User folder now anyway that I could just backup? Then I could just backup DCS folder under User folder, reinstall DCS, restore DCS folder under User folder, and have my joystick settings proper?

Thanks

Please help. I can't install the MiG-21 after moving my game folder to my SSD. I get an error message saying to install the latest version of DCS. I have feeling that registry setting do need to be modified?!

The only thing that kept from just reinstalling DCS instead of moving it are the joystick settings. Are these just saved under the User folder now anyway that I could just backup? Then I could just backup DCS folder under User folder, reinstall DCS, restore DCS folder under User folder, and have my joystick settings proper?

Thanks

yes. It's been done here plenty of times.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

ZERO Load times as there won't be any!

Fast load times yes. Zero load times no.

Your files are stored in a RAM disk sure, but they aren't in a usable state until they are loaded. Your textures are most likely compressed so loading will need to uncompress them to be usable among other things.

I have 128GB SSD on the way to me. I have a plan to use it only for "games" folder and some programs (Photoshop has very long load times). I have OS on very recent 1TB HDD and it feels reasonably fast in my opinion. I have no need to have fast OS or programs since I use my computer mainly for internet and games. Is there any benefit in my case to installi my OS and games into same SSD? I have pagefile disabled. Should I put OS temp dir to SSD because of games? I really don't like to decay my SSD unnecessarily. Not that it won't last, but I will have a bad feeling of destroying something unnecessarily.

Ok, I am still having a bit of trouble understanding exactly why an SSD is soooo much better than an HDD for DCS.

I can understand load times and such but it seems some are saying that FPS will increase and it eliminates "stutter." What is this stutter that you guys are talking about? I guess I can say I experience "stutter" when I am flying with P-51 and they do a burst of guns my frame rate drops considerably. Will putting DCS on an SSD eliminate this? Right now my OS is on a 60gb SSD and DCS is on a RAID 0 array with 2 1TB Western Digital Blacks.

I am fine with game load times right now but if I buy another SSD to put DCS on will the "stutter" of P-51 shooting go away, or is this something else entirely.

I am using an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 4.01 GHz and an AMD HD6970 and I also have a Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card

Ok, I am still having a bit of trouble understanding exactly why an SSD is soooo much better than an HDD for DCS.

I can understand load times and such but it seems some are saying that FPS will increase and it eliminates "stutter." What is this stutter that you guys are talking about? I guess I can say I experience "stutter" when I am flying with P-51 and they do a burst of guns my frame rate drops considerably. Will putting DCS on an SSD eliminate this? Right now my OS is on a 60gb SSD and DCS is on a RAID 0 array with 2 1TB Western Digital Blacks.

I am fine with game load times right now but if I buy another SSD to put DCS on will the "stutter" of P-51 shooting go away, or is this something else entirely.

I am using an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 4.01 GHz and an AMD HD6970 and I also have a Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card

Most of the time it does. To say for sure that it will would be in error as there are more potentially causative factors involved with stuttering than just the HDD or SSD. For the most part it will. Should be the only answer U receive to this Question. Any more is conjecture.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 3 weeks later...