The HORRIBLE HORRIBLE Shkval in 2.5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 AM   #1
3WA

Default The HORRIBLE HORRIBLE Shkval in 2.5

What happened to the Shkval? It seems to be TOTALLY BORKED against air targets now. Even aircraft as slow as helicopters, which should be easy to lockup against the neutral sky.

It was bad enough in 1.x, but now it seems HORRIBLE. I have a hard time locking up aircraft 1nm away. Beyond about 2nm, it seems to be impossible.

These are slow moving AH-64's I'm trying to lock up. The STINKING SHKVAL just seems to refuse to do it! Is it REALLY that bad in RL?

I would NEVER fly this helicopter in Real Combat. It's a DEATH TRAP, because you can't use any weapons. THEY ARE ALL LINKED TO THE WORTHLESS SHKVAL!

PLEASE FIX THIS ED! THE SHARK HAS BECOME UNPLAYABLE WHEN THERE ARE AIR THREATS AROUND.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:26 AM   #2
3WA

Hmm, switched the units in game from Imperial to Metric, and now it seems to lock a little better. Any of you guys having trouble with the Shkval, maybe try that. It does seem a little better now.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Russian helicopters don't like imperial units. That's why.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #4
Lao Fei Mao

Though ED promised to update the Ka-50, but the shark is absolutely not the priority ones, we have to be more patient.
Lao Fei Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
fargo007

Anyone having trouble locking up any type of ground target at all?

I can't get the shkval to lock anything after today's update. I'd like someone else to confirm.

Also, some of my bindings have changed mysteriously. Radio menu comms and axes.

You dig rotorcraft? Training, Quals, Missions, & FUN. Ask me about joining the Black Sharks!

Last edited by fargo007; 10-10-2018 at 09:21 PM.
fargo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo007 View Post
Can't say anything about the shkval, but they did add a couple of new controller presets for all ED modules, including this one. In 'Mods\aircrafts\[module]\input\[mode]\joystick' you can find a 'default.lua' and several preset files for common controllers. See if one of the new ones (***.diff.lua) correspond to your setup.

They did put up a poll a while ago about what controllers we use, with the purpose to add more presets for the most common ones.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #7
Requiem_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo007 View Post
Anyone having trouble locking up any type of ground target at all?

I can't get the shkval to lock anything after today's update. I'd like someone else to confirm.

can confirm. My Shkval wouldn't lock on another Chopper at 2km and my bindings were also majorly borked after the update.

The state of the Werewolf get's worse with every update.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
Requiem_Alpha

I've also noticed a catch-22. If the sun is shining the shkval locks most targets, but the glare on the screen is so bad that I can't make out anything if the sun is even slightly in my back (even after fiddling with brigthness and contrast). If there is a heavy cloud cover, I can easily make out targets on the screen, but the shkval won't lock anything moving.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:22 AM   #9
3WA

Yeah, there's some real glare now, but it looks realistic. Especially on these old green screens.

But yeah, more and more, with every update, problems with the cockpit are starting to add up. The other day, I noticed I couldn't pull up my comms screen with \ anymore. Guess I'll have to go dig on what happened to that now.

One thing that did seem to help slightly with the shkval is to change measurements in Settings to Metric. I started to have better lockup potential after doing that. Still hard to lock up even a heli though. You USED to be able to lock up a slow moving jet, especially one coming almost straight at you, but that seems impossible now.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Requiem_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3WA View Post
Yeah, there's some real glare now, but it looks realistic. Especially on these old green screens.

But yeah, more and more, with every update, problems with the cockpit are starting to add up. The other day, I noticed I couldn't pull up my comms screen with \ anymore. Guess I'll have to go dig on what happened to that now.

One thing that did seem to help slightly with the shkval is to change measurements in Settings to Metric. I started to have better lockup potential after doing that. Still hard to lock up even a heli though. You USED to be able to lock up a slow moving jet, especially one coming almost straight at you, but that seems impossible now.
Screen glare being realistic is all nice and well, but the screen glares in situations where the sun should be blocked by the airframe. It's like a 270° arc where the shkval in decypherable in varying degrees. Unfortunatley switching to metric didn't help with locking targets. But after some testing I found out that the Werewolf still works in the stable version of DCS. I could lock a AH-1W from 8km away.