Is my system upgradeable for 2.5?

Hello Gents

I'm late for work, so have to be short here.

Can anyone give me some guidance on what my options are for upgrading my ca. 2012 gaming pc to run 2.5?

I still run the old 1.5, and haven't given the new versions a shot since 2.0 Normandy, which was very stuttery.

Gateway

Intel core i7-2600 @3.4ghz 3.4ghz (how its stated under "system"...)

16.0 GB ram

64 bit

Nvidia gtx 970; 4096 mb GDDR5

550 W power supply

no SSD

Win7

1080p monitor

I am hoping I can add a (now cheap I hear) gtx1080p, 16 more Gs of Ram, and an SSD. Any input on the SSD would be appreciated - could I set it up to only have DCS run on the SSD?

I really know nothing about any of these items Im looking at adding, their compatibility, etc.

I am dying to fly in 2.5, get some of the new jets, etc...

Thanks

On a monitor, should be fine.

Grab the SSD first

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

That system spec can do dcs 2.5. And yes the solid state drive is needed.

I have a laptop with core i5, Gtx1060 max Q 6g, 16g and SSD storage. I have been playing dcs 2.5 1920x1080 resolution getting 50-60 fps on medium settings.

I just added VR(odyssey +) to the mix and the laptop handles is good.

This is not to hold you back from upgrading btw. The higher the specs the better the experience.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

All you need is an SSD to run 2.5 in 1080p .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

All you need is an SSD to run 2.5 in 1080p .

Agreed 100%.

I reignited my flight sim passion by trying 2.5.x on a very similar system to yours (Phenom X4 @3.4Ghz and a SSD, but the same 16GB RAM, GPU and display). I assumed it would be a low-res slideshow, and was pleasantly surprised.

The bad news? See below... :megalol:

Any input on the SSD would be appreciated - could I set it up to only have DCS run on the SSD?

Absolutely. I now have a 500GB drive purely for DCS; you just tell the DCS installer to use it when it asks where you want it installed.

Edited by Slug72
remembered to answer OP's question

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

Thanks for the answers guys.

Is installing an SSD to run DCS a pretty simple job?

Do you just mount and plug in the drive to power supply and motherboard, or do you have to do much formatting or anything too technical on the software side?

From what I read elsewhere, my windows 7 home premium wont allow more than 16 gigs of ram anyway, so that appears to be a no-go. I will have to upgrade to win 10 at the end of the year anyway, but I'd like to put it off.

Thanks again!

It just as simple as on HDD) But I would recommend you to partition your SSD on two disks, install your OS on the first one, DCS on the second. It doesn't make sense to run OS from HDD if you have SSD.

I've got similar system except for i5-4960k, SSD, Win10 and it runs smoothly with 35(Las Vegas)-60+ fps on high/very high settings (in single-player).

Windows 10/ I5-4690K/ Asus Z97-A/ Asus GTX 970/ 16 Gb DDR3 1600MHz/ 1920*1080 / TrackIR 5/ Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog/ Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

It just as simple as on HDD) But I would recommend you to partition your SSD on two disks, install your OS on the first one, DCS on the second. It doesn't make sense to run OS from HDD if you have SSD.

Explain to me how partitioning will improve performance over just installing the OS and DCS on the system drive.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

"It doesn't make sense to run OS from HDD if you have SSD."

Just to be clear - would only running DCS on the SSD, and the OS from the HDD, give me the same performance improvement in DCS as all on the SSD?

I don't really want to deal with re installing my OS and all my programs, and have no idea how to partition a drive...

Thanks

Explain to me how partitioning will improve performance over just installing the OS and DCS on the system drive.

Performance will not change. It just my thing to have OS on one disk and games, movies, photos, music on others separate ones.

Windows 10/ I5-4690K/ Asus Z97-A/ Asus GTX 970/ 16 Gb DDR3 1600MHz/ 1920*1080 / TrackIR 5/ Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog/ Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

would only running DCS on the SSD, and the OS from the HDD, give me the same performance improvement in DCS as all on the SSD?

frankly, don't know(didn't try it by myself), but I have strong doubts about that. OS is always primary.

"have no idea how to partition a drive" - as I told above, it's actually not necessary, but it's really easy: when you are installing new Windows OS on new SSD/HDD it will promt you to choose or create a new partition(I would recomment this way). Also you can access Disk Management in Windows - https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18075 . There is a ton of videos on youtube about this.

Ok, thanks for the input guys.

So, I installed an SSD, and it allowed me to run DCS better than I expected.

2.5 is awesome.

Framerate is good, but unfortunately I get freezes every 2-3 seconds and long freezes in multiplayer.

I am considering getting a gtx 1080 graphics card (currently a 970), unless you guys think its my processor i72600 3.4ghz processor that is limiting performance.

Any idea if getting a 1080 on this 2012 rig will solve the freezing problem and let me jack up settings a bit?

My preload/trees/grass-clutter are all about 35%, and visible range is as low as I want to go. Visible range is "high" I think.

low-medium textures. v sync on, though it doesn't seem to make much difference. 1080p monitor...

Thanks

p.s., I am moving and wont be able to respond for a few days...

You didn't say anything about shadows , mirrors , msaa , ssaa . All stutter-fest inducers . And you prolly can crank up the preload to 50% .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2