VPC WarBRD Grip any opinion, review?

GriffonBR

I am also able to offer first hand experience using the WarBRD grip. For reference, I am coming from at Warthog grip and base and using the WarBRD grip with a WarBRD base. Giving comments specifically on the grip (not the base):

1) Plastic grip feels solid. Even coming from the metal Warthog, I don't have a problem with it being plastic. It still feels solid and good quality.

2) The cable mount PS/2-type connector is a fiddle to install. It pulls out by about 3cm to make it easier, but it is still a fiddle and you want want to damage the pins. Not something you want to be doing with any regularity.

3) The black metal rotational thread at the bottom of the base is nicer looking than the silver cast metal thread on the Warthog. It does take a bit of a tight turn to get it locked firmly. Easier on the Warhog. But I still prefer the looks of the Virpil once set in place

4) The mounting system of the Virpil allows you to set a slight Z-axis rotation to the neutral position on the grip making it more realistic and comfortable for right handers.

5) You can't turn off the Z-axis from moving. It does not move very easily, but if you get exuberant with the stick it will turn. I'd prefer it does not have a Z-axis, but I suppose it is a nice bonus for people that don't want to buy a separate rudder. At least you have the option to not map the Z axis, so while the stick will still rotate, you can set it up so that it does not do anything.

6) The buttons feel good quality overall. I particularly like the trim hat and the 4 way Radar Mode selector switches.

7) The nose wheel steering button is too far low and left for me to easily reach it. While it is out of the way 99% of the time, which is good, it is an uncomfortable stretch (rather than a deliberate stretch) when you need to use it. Version 2... they really need to move this about 5-10mm closer to the palm.

8) While the grip is a close resemblance to the F-5E grip, the stick was in fact modelled on a Russian helicopter, the Ka-26. As such it is missing the F-5E's pitch damper cutoff switch. Kinda annoying... I wish it had this to avoid reaching for the keyboard in a dogfight.

9) I love the little LED on top. You can turn it off completely if you don't care, but I like it on red on minimum brightness. (Full brightness is distracting, low just ads some eye candy without you noticing unless specifically looking at it).

Conclusion: I love it.

But as an only grip it is too limiting... there are good quality grips out there with more buttons, so if you are flying later generation fighters or things like the A-10C just get a MCF, a Mongoose's T-50 CM2 (if you can find them in stock) or a Warthog (if you can't). But as a second grip for using with the F-5E, the F-4 when it comes out or a Sabre I think it is a great little luxury.

I say "little" luxury... while the grip was only about EUR90 when I bought it for a small discount, the problem is that you will not want to be swapping the grip on and off of a base with any regularity. So in this scenario you would then be looking at a base for each grip... which is an additional EUR 150... and then of course it starts to get more expensive.

Thanks for the review. Does it work with TM base(warthog, cougar..) too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. Does it work with TM base(warthog, cougar..) too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know for sure, as I have not tried. Plus my Warthog base is in storage so I can't easily try it out for you. I would imagine not because the Warthog base uses Target and is programmed to look for the Warthog or (with firmware update) the Hornet grip. I anticipate that you might have problems with the Virpil grip on the Thrustmaster base, even though the pin connectors are the same.

However I see no reason why you would match the Virpil grip with the Warthog base: to me the Warthog grip is a good bit of kit, whereas I find the Warthog base quite disappointing. And that is even when it is brand new, let alone a used example.

My review was specific to the Virpil grip. However, if I were to review the Virpil WarBRD base, I would be even more enthusiastic with the praise: that really is a quality item. So much so that I am considering a second Virpil base (either the WarBRD or Mongoos to use with my Thrustmaster A-10C grip).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...