Inconsistent heading

lkyfly0957

This could happen if True heading is selected in the HSI > Data > AC page, rather than Magnetic.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

This could happen if True heading is selected in the HSI > Data > AC page, rather than Magnetic.

I have already selected the plane in HSI to display the magnetic heading, but this is still the same as the heading provided by F2 perspective. You can take a closer look at these three pictures of me, and it is strange that this phenomenon only happens to me and another player, and the other players are normal.

Sounds like a mod might be affecting your setup.

Do you run any mods? If so you'll have to do the usual drill, clean install and check. Then add mods until you find the one affecting your setup.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 2 weeks later...

Stabbing in the dark / dim light: does this happen with every mission file or just a specific one? If it is a specific mission, maybe try changing the date of the mission start to something a lot different to see if you get any change. That could at least confirm if your setup still has a magnetic declination model :).

Btw, can’t you just display the magnetic declination in the Data pages? I kinda think I remember it is in there (the actual +/- degrees value.) That would also establish whether your magnetic declination model is screwed up or if it is just not adding it into the heading displayed in the cockpit. Might at least help chase it down.

Stabbing in the dark / dim light: does this happen with every mission file or just a specific one? If it is a specific mission, maybe try changing the date of the mission start to something a lot different to see if you get any change. That could at least confirm if your setup still has a magnetic declination model :).

Btw, can’t you just display the magnetic declination in the Data pages? I kinda think I remember it is in there (the actual +/- degrees value.) That would also establish whether your magnetic declination model is screwed up or if it is just not adding it into the heading displayed in the cockpit. Might at least help chase it down.

First of all, thank you for your answer. I changed the task time, but it didn't work. when I was testing A10C, I suddenly found a problem. perhaps this picture of A10C is more illustrative. my magnetic declination in the Caucasus region is 0

Screen_190815_020126.thumb.jpg.087b779650d373366c31202d4ca7e13f.jpg

Screen_190815_020129.thumb.jpg.bbe6dd0b184f43f15888f3a9f2374359.jpg

I would be very surprised if it was limited to Caucasus. The magvar data is here (see screen shot with path into DCS folders) and it is worldwide data from NOAA. So if your airplane model knows its latitude and longitude and date / time, then it will get the variance (declination) from this model. Take a peek in that folder and see if it is messed up. I know you said you reinstalled, but this makes zero sense to me. Maybe some mod management software you are using blew it away or some other accident happened.

If that isn't the problem then I would check the DCS error log next to see if it says something like "oh crap I can't load my COF dll" or something like that :). Sorry I am just making educated guesses, you probably need an expert (like from ED.)

For interest, here is the source of the data:

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data.shtml

cof_data.thumb.PNG.134a31fee0ed0c2bd025a2bc8e18c817.PNG

I would be very surprised if it was limited to Caucasus. The magvar data is here (see screen shot with path into DCS folders) and it is worldwide data from NOAA. So if your airplane model knows its latitude and longitude and date / time, then it will get the variance (declination) from this model. Take a peek in that folder and see if it is messed up. I know you said you reinstalled, but this makes zero sense to me. Maybe some mod management software you are using blew it away or some other accident happened.

If that isn't the problem then I would check the DCS error log next to see if it says something like "oh crap I can't load my COF dll" or something like that :). Sorry I am just making educated guesses, you probably need an expert (like from ED.)

For interest, here is the source of the data:

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data.shtml

This problem does not exist only in Caucasian maps, but also in Nevada maps, and because of my very poor English, I don't quite understand what you said.

Now, I just want to know how to solve this problem

Next steps:

1) report a bug in the bug forum now that you know the details:

a) you have a clean install

b) do you have any mods / hacks?

c) you are getting 0 magnetic variance in every location

2) if you don't get any help, read the DCS error log in the Saved Games logs to see if it logs anything useful.

sorry, I am out of ideas :(