Wake turbulence during dogfight

Darcwaynard

Just curious if this is normal behaviour. During a dogfight with an AI Mig-29 I've noticed at times if I'm close in and I intersect with the Migs wake it'll cause me to roll 90 degrees left or right. Pretty much a 90 degree snap roll. Accurate or WIP? Thanks

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

I haven't experienced it that violently. I usually get thrown around a little bit, but it has a lot to do with the angle. Don't fly behind the bandit, come at an angle

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I haven't experienced it that violently. I usually get thrown around a little bit, but it has a lot to do with the angle. Don't fly behind the bandit, come at an angle
Yeah in my experience its after a bandit reverses its turn and there's a split second of its wake being in front of me. I'm certainty not waiting until I'm 180 degrees rear aspect to shoot, his wingman would be all over me. I'll see if I can get a track this week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Interesting to see wake turbulence in dogfight. Not much of a dogfighter but I would look out for it.

I want to assume the wake turbulence does affect AI aircraft too when behind me.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

hitting wake turb...

In real dogfights its a little different depending on the where and how you intercept the wake.

If you hit the wake off a close head to head pass it can vary from just a loud thump (the first time I encountered this I thought I had a mid-air...lol..) and a quick bump of turbulence (in the case of high closing speed opposing pass) to a slightly prolonged bump of turbulence and less loud audible feedback when the angles off decrease during a slower pass.

When you are directly behind and trying to match flight vectors (for either a gunshot or close formation flying) it can feel like a momentary loss of control - kinda like in a car when you hit a patch of ice - you can move the wheel but the car doesn't really respond until you get off the ice patch. In addition to that there can also be aircraft upset - an uncommanded roll of varying intensity depending on who's wake (larger heavy aircraft - like tankers = bigger more violent wake). The wake does dissipate the farther you get from the source.

That's my experience anyway...

CB

This wake seems also to be active now with AAR,

F18 behind the K135MPRS wing tip, has me tilted.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

This wake seems also to be active now with AAR,

F18 behind the K135MPRS wing tip, has me tilted.

I had the same problem. Fly lower and come under the tanker's wing. You should only get a little bit of the effect like that.

If you're being violently thrown around, you're too high.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I had the same problem. Fly lower and come under the tanker's wing. You should only get a little bit of the effect like that.

If you're being violently thrown around, you're too high.

Just tilted, looks a bit weird when one notices.

Moving to the outside, one starts to speed up a knot or so - suction? So I just rather stay somewhat banked in the usual place.

The effect might be a tad exaggerated, I've never seen RL pics of jets doing AAR steady but banked, RL planes seem level but that would be - very - hard to see, and what would I know.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

If it is during a high G turn, could it be a stall of one wing over the other causing that ?

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

If it is during a high G turn, could it be a stall of one wing over the other causing that ?
Not likely, at the point where it happens I'm often letting off on the G for a tracking shot. It only started happening after wake turbulence was implemented. Also Hornet FCS seems to keep that sort of thing in check no?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dunno, I just had a few near misses landing online with some folks that didn't bother using SRS to announce takoffs just as I was landing, nearly crashed, so yeah I'd say it can happen in dogfights.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Considering how new wake turbulence is, I would definitely assume it's still wip. That being said I haven't encountered any instances that have been too egregious. I'm no expert on the physics of the matter though so there might be discrepancies that I'm just unaware of.

Pretty cool though, makes dogfights a little more interesting.

Not likely, at the point where it happens I'm often letting off on the G for a tracking shot. It only started happening after wake turbulence was implemented. Also Hornet FCS seems to keep that sort of thing in check no?

Well if one wind suddenly get enough low pressure and turbulences to stall only one wing, I don't think the FCS would have time to react, a little like the V22 Osprey when one of is prop was biting the prop wash, but apparently this isn't what you experienced if you weren't turning when it happened.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

In real dogfights its a little different depending on the where and how you intercept the wake.

If you hit the wake off a close head to head pass it can vary from just a loud thump (the first time I encountered this I thought I had a mid-air...lol..) and a quick bump of turbulence (in the case of high closing speed opposing pass) to a slightly prolonged bump of turbulence and less loud audible feedback when the angles off decrease during a slower pass.

When you are directly behind and trying to match flight vectors (for either a gunshot or close formation flying) it can feel like a momentary loss of control - kinda like in a car when you hit a patch of ice - you can move the wheel but the car doesn't really respond until you get off the ice patch. In addition to that there can also be aircraft upset - an uncommanded roll of varying intensity depending on who's wake (larger heavy aircraft - like tankers = bigger more violent wake). The wake does dissipate the farther you get from the source.

That's my experience anyway...

CB

Thanks for this! Love it when real pilots post about their experience!

CB has it

I will add that if you position wrong behind the tanker it does feel like a constant roll force as you enter the tankers wingtip vortices.

In ACT I did have a burner blowout due to wake but I was modulating the throttle at the time so that was just unlucky. So far its all felt pretty good to me and a nice representation, way better than I ever expected we would get.

Edited by WindyTX

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

[...] So far its all felt pretty good to me and a nice representation, way better than I ever expected we would get.

Wow, that is encouraging to hear! Also for the DCS software engineer(s) who worked on it I guess :)

These are the things where an armchair pilot like me is deeply grateful for feedback from RL pilots! I will never be able to correlate my DCS experience to any real flying (of which I have very little anyway). I can rather easily find out if a button or switch is correctly represented in DCS by looking at pictures of the real thing. I can read in the NATOPS how things should work and compare that to our jet. But I will never be able to tell if the stick force (or rather „deflection“ for us) needed to lift the nose gear off the runway seems to be right ... or if the effects of the tanker‘s wake are even close to how it feels like in reality.

So thank you WindyTX and CB as well.

Edited by Hog_No32

Sometimes the quick bump as you pass through someone else’s wake can do damage... we had a chap on ex cope thunder ‘93 lose the top foot of his fin after he passed through someone else’s wake. The investigation believed the instant vortices generated from the intakes at high alpha battered the fin so hard it took the top bit off.

Through fast jet training we taught that you must not drop back and low in the final stages of a formation landing or the vortices will flip you over and you won’t have enough control authority to stop it.

In ACT, I’ve seen stalls and surges (with fuel coming out of intakes!) as a result of flying through jet wash or wake turbulence.

It’s real and it’s powerful.......and the higher the wing loading, the bigger the vortices..

Edited by Dangerman

CB has it

I will add that if you position wrong behind the tanker it does feel like a constant roll force as you enter the tankers wingtip vortices.

In ACT I did have a burner blowout due to wake but I was modulating the throttle at the time so that was just unlucky. So far its all felt pretty good to me and a nice representation, way better than I ever expected we would get.

Windy, did you have a restriction in the F3 as we did in GR1 that if we needed burner on the tanker, use only the one on opposite side to your probe?.... although I’m sure you had more thrunge and never needed burner on the tanker!!

Windy, did you have a restriction in the F3 as we did in GR1 that if we needed burner on the tanker, use only the one on opposite side to your probe?.... although I’m sure you had more thrunge and never needed burner on the tanker!!
Ha I wish yep the other one from the one you used was normal tho not sure I remember it being mandated.lol. Always needed it in the gulf and while I guess it was a bit more thrust it was never enough eh .

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Holy smokes, you needed reheat (in your lingo:smilewink: ) to stay on the tanker in the fin? I mean I have heard that the RB199 wasn’t the most powerful engine on earth...but really? Or was that just with an extremely draggy loadout (and what would that have been) or at rather high altitude?

Edited by Hog_No32

Over Kuwait in the summer 2 big fuel tanks phimat pod TRD and 8 missiles basically the max load possible on the Aircraft filling up all the way to the brim. Yep reheat on one was required, even more fun on the kc135 using the boom drogue adapter had both in burner for a second

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I was fortunate enough during a ride to get to do some guns BFM as we had a wingman with another GIB at the same time. As knuckle-draggers, we give ops guys a hard time sometimes when they do something boneheaded, but there’s other times when you get to appreciate how good they are with a lot of shit going on. We were offensive in a guns jink, I’m doing my best not the throw up, and there was twice where he called the wake before we ever hit it and rolled wings level to travel through it. Both times it basically felt like you were riding a bike off a small bike ramp. For sure noticeable, no question. Not sure what that would have felt like if we were still trying to put a nose on him. The guy I was with had a few thousand hours, but still impressed me that even in the middle of tossing the jet around trying to kill the bad guy, he saw it, knew it was coming, had time to roll the jet and still tell me it was coming before we hit it.

Over Kuwait in the summer 2 big fuel tanks phimat pod TRD and 8 missiles basically the max load possible on the Aircraft filling up all the way to the brim. Yep reheat on one was required, even more fun on the kc135 using the boom drogue adapter had both in burner for a second

I seem to remember the burner was scheduled by nozzle position so it went something like this for me:

Dropping back in dry thrust to the end of the hose

Realising you need burner

Select reheat on the left

Nozzle opens

Thrust reduces on left slightly due more Aj

Panic as dropping back even quicker due less thrust

Advance left throttle a bit more

Enter cloud

Wobble about a bit

Burner ignites

.......at a higher throttle setting than originally intended

Huge increase in thrust due more burner selected

Panic

Fore aft PIO on power ensues

Stabilised!

Breathe

All happened in a fraction of a frantic second!