Landing the Hip

rge75

The generators are directly connected to main rotor RPM, go below 90% and they switch off and take a load of electronics with them. They do come up when main rotor RPM gets above 90% though.

Fuel pumps, as long as the service tank is full, it'll gravity feed the engines. Even in the case the fuel pumps are switched off, you're able to fly until you empty the service tank. In fact, you only need to run the two main pumps to fill the service tank, the third one is optional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pogo stick landing gear takes a bit to come to terms with but I'm learning. :cry:

Put it down more gently from a hover. Remember, this is a heavy machine. Slowly, slowly. And the bouncy tires are there to help!

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

The Hip can take serious punishment at landing but it is much harder to learn this choppers limits due to her inherent weight and how much time is needed to flare out all that dead inertia.

The landing gear will absorb huge amounts of energy, but this chopper can so easily be outside that absorbent range.

Real problems occur when loaded with her shockingly large cargo capacity. Once loaded up, this machine is so different to her empty flight characteristics and the pilot is lulled into a sense of normalcy on lift off due to her raw engine power/Engine settings/hub lift capacity.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the discussion has stopped... here's another landing comparison video between Huey, Hip and Gazelle.

I was quite surprised that it took me almost as long to land with the Hip than with the Gazelle but I "lost" too many time by reducing speed. And the flight to the ship was simply faster with the Gazelle. Either way, the Huey was the clear winner.

If the landing is on a non moving spot and when time doens't matter at all, then I tend to say that you can do a "cleaner" and more save landing with the Hip than with the Huey.

It is the quantity of utility delivered upon touchdown that is master here.

Bringing the old Howie in fast and neat is a whole hunk a fun but ultimately the Huey needs to do it another 3 times to equal the one time of the magnificent MI-8.

The MI-8 will deliver hell harder and faster in one trip.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.